South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Administrative Specialist II"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Anderson, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, comfortable office, good coworkers, good working conditions, enjoyable job, good vacation and holidays

Cons

Rules and regulations of any government office can be difficult

Advice to Management

Change cons

2. "Work study"

I worked at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce part-time

Pros

Went after school for about 2 hrs still received pay. Didn't do any work but help people use the computer.

Cons

Supervisor was an idiot

Advice to Management

Good

3. "Sr. Applications Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are wonderful to work with and the environment tends to be relaxed.

Cons

Not enough employees with experience for the amount of work

Advice to Management

Support and reward the employees who do the work and take the time to learn the system

5. "State jobs are not the best"

Former Employee - Auditor
    Former Employee - Auditor

Pros

Auditors have the ability to network with other companies which can help with job searching.

Cons

No room for growth, minimal raises and some managers don't listen to staff concerns. It's a good ole boy system, it's who you know that gets you promoted.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They're the front line of defense and know firsthand what is needed to improve an area/department.

6. "Great springboard, but don't get too comfortable"

Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Statistical Analyst in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a wonderful place to start a career, get some experience, and really have a chance to try out new things
    Wonderful work-life balance
    Best annual and sick leave accumulation I've ever experienced
    Plenty of paid holidays
    Lots of great coworkers

Cons

Pay is not compatible with job duties
    No room for advancement unless you want to be a manager, and that's not as easy as it sounds
    Job descriptions and pay grades are outdated
    No education reimbursement program
    You pay company training expenses yourself upfront and then submit a request for reimbursement once you return(not sure this is legal, and can we just get company credit cards already)
    Not enough control over my own money. Retirement contributions are mandatory and fixed percentages, and you can't touch or withdraw your own contributions unless you retire or quit

Advice to Management

Please take some time to speak with your non-retirement age employees to find out what it takes to attract and KEEP talented professionals. There are reasons we have a somewhat high turnover rate, especially for certain positions.

7. "Tax Auditor"

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Greer, SC
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Greer, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce (More than a year)

Pros

There are many reason why I like working for SCDEW. I have flexibility in work, I am able to make superior decisions, there is equality, and I feel as though there are opportunities for advancements.

Cons

I have no cons for working for this company.

8. "A lot of bureaucratic nonsense"

I worked at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, you'll work with a lot of people who are genuinely interested in helping people find long-term work.

Cons

They seem to do a lot of things in the most complicated possible way, managers aren't really promoted based on competence.

Advice to Management

Focus more efforts on putting people back to work, rather than only on unemployment insurance programs. The company's jobs website is nearly impossible for employers to use.

9. "Prototypical Government Agency (not bad, not good)"

Pros

People/Employees are the best kept asset of this organization.

Cons

Work-life balance is a constant struggle.
    Politics often govern best practices as opposed to sound reasoning

Advice to Management

Take advantage of your employee base. Innovation can be found from those who currently work for the agency

10. "Great stepping stone for someone who wants to work in workforce development and get a good understanding of recruitment"

Current Employee - Resource Specialist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Resource Specialist in Columbia, SC

Pros

work-life balance 8- 5, M- F, good benefits, paid training, leave holiday, sick and travel.

Cons

High volume of clients, you need a lot of patients to work here, people still come in expecting the Unemployment office which closed years ago and want help with their unemployment claims.

Advice to Management

Clearly define the divide between unemployment and employment services and make unemployment full comprehensive.

11. "Expected to do a lot for less than market pay. Can be very stressful!"

Current Employee - Applications Programmer Analyst II in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer Analyst II in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are pretty nice and easy to work with. Have opportunities to work with other technologies, not just mainframe.

Cons

Lower than market pay rate. Have to pick up slack for others who do not do their work. Projects that need to be done yesterday. Too few employees for the work that needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Find a way to pay market value for positions and hire enough people to do the work.