South Carolina Department of Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Catherine Templeton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Absolutely amazing!"

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time

Pros

State job, benefits, and scheduling.
    Great work environment with great people who actually appreciate hard work and dedication.

Cons

DHEC pay is on the lower side but considering what you get benefit and time wise, it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Great place for new graduates to gain experience"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to gain experience in many sectors of industry
    Typically good middle and upper management

Cons

Low Salaries
    Slow upward movement, little opportunity until a long term employee

3. "Working at DHEC"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator II in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator II in Greenville, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good medical health insurance; numerous holidays; no weekends or late nights

Cons

Horrible pay; no annual merit or cost-of-living salary increases; upper management is very political

"Great Co-workers horrible pay"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work scheduled is great, 8:30 - 5, weekends off, paid holidays, okay Health insurance. Great co-worker Awesome supervisor.

Cons

The pay is horrible, no raises for many many years, I have been there for 6 months and 5 staff members have left and they were only employed 2 years or less. Headquarters does not back the department up at all. But we still have to be first responders for any disaster. I applied for Low income housing and did not qualify because I did not make enough.

Advice to Management

Go to the actual work sites and speak the actual employee, ask government for cost of living raises. Pull for your staff. Do a desk audit to see what the pay is for other companies or other state jobs. Be involved with your departments.

5. "WIC Nutritionist"

Former Employee - WIC Nutritionist in Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - WIC Nutritionist in Lexington, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The clients were great. Supervisor was kind.

Cons

You don't get to be a nutritionist. They hire CPAs for the same job and if you try to counsel clients then you get in trouble for taking too long. There are 5 different people you have to answer to and they will all tell you to do something different and you will get in trouble for not following the instructions of the one you chose not to follow, no matter which manager it is. Don't even think about suggesting ideas to improve the program! They get offended by realizing you don't look at them like a god. If you have a degree in nutrition, don't even think about working here. This WIC is nothing like WIC in other states.

Advice to Management

Have a single chain of command and don't step outside your chain. Stop hiring non nutritionists to do a nutritionist job. Allow nutritionists to counsel their clients.

"IT Consultant I"

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance if you have a family

Cons

The pay is low compared to other IT positions

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as equals

"It is a good place to start"

Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, not the healthcare itself but the entire package. Co-workers can be real friends and if you get to help someone the job can be meaningful.

Cons

The salary is nothing to write home about, barely a living wage for a single adult and not a living wage if you have kids. You have to wait for someone to retire to have any type of career advancement.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the talent you have, it's a revolving door to anyone under 30.

"Administrative Specialist II"

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time

Pros

Great work experience, the patients can be friendly, clean work environment, holidays off with pay

Cons

Horrible management, no pay increase and management has favorites. Not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

No advancement opportunities

"Nutritionist"

Former Employee - Nutritionist in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Nutritionist in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, they really do care about improving the lives of their clients.

Cons

Very unorganized management is pulled in way too many directions. Training takes up to 5-6 MONTHS (even with previous experience). Upper management in Human Resources needs to retire she is very rude.

10. "Corruption and lack of communication"

Former Employee - WIC Nutritionist in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - WIC Nutritionist in Greenville, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The central office was great whenever we needed to work with them and my main coworkers taught me so much. Learned a lot about nutrition counseling.

Cons

The was a lot of corruption in the region I was employed with. A lot of favoritism was showed for employees getting jobs they did not deserve. Along with this employees were severely overworked (working before start time and well after end time multiple times a week) and underpaid. There was no communication between managers and staff and managers were often either no where to be found or refusing to help employees. Employees were given a hard time frequently if they asked for time off and were forced to work in conditions that we're unsanitary. There were cockroaches all over our department and the air conditioning was not fixed in another building and employees were forced to work in 90+ degree buildings. Overall, something needs to be done about the upstate region at DHEC

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees.