South Carolina Department of Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Catherine Templeton

1. "Registered dietitian"

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Goose Creek, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Goose Creek, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dhec provides great benefits, competitive salaries, good work environment. The people are nice. It's a state job with retirement

Cons

I don't really see a downside. The hours are good. There are many locations in the charleston area. Some of the buildings are old and can be cold.

Advice to Management

Not really sure what I'm supposed to write here. My advice is there are lots of available jobs within dhec.

"SC DHEC IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good team members to work with. Annual leave and sick leave are good. Paid holidays. Opportunity to learn new technologies.

Cons

New upper management has their own style. They seem to want to get rid of anybody that has been around for a while. Managers don't listen to advice when you try to tell them something won't work. Micro managers at mid-level.

Advice to Management

Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you know everything. Listen to the people that have been in the trenches when things were bad. They want success as much as you do.

3. "Easy"

Current Employee - Nutritionist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Nutritionist in Columbia, SC

Pros

Laid back work environment; basic nutrition advice; helping community

Cons

Lack of consistency regarding training; upper management constantly asking you to do more; repetitive; biggest con is there is no way to advance with DHEC unless you are a nurse and you NEVER get raises. Same job in North Carolina pays 8-10k more

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for nutritionists within DHEC; offer better pay

5. "Not the best place for internal advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits! Including many paid holidays, a great deal of annual leave and sick leave. Great place to earn some experience in the Environmental Field.

Cons

The pay is really the only pay. No room for advancement unless someone leaves or retires. Many positions that do become available are typically for a chosen candidate.

Advice to Management

Work to compensate employees at a sufficient level. The flexibility that is often allowed is reason for most people to continue working there.

6. "Health educator"

Current Employee - Health Educator in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Health Educator in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Low work volume. Low room for advancement

Advice to Management

Research more

7. "Adminstrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees to work with and of course cleanliness is a plus around the departments.

Cons

Getting new employees set up takes a long time to get into the system.

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "Lack of opportunity and reasonable salary"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stress-free environment. Reasonably good insurance, retirement, and leave package benefits.

Cons

South Carolina state employees grossly underpaid, not only in comparison to private sector, but in comparison to local state agencies and neighboring state agencies. Pay does not reflect education and/or experience. Several parts of the agency are very "political" in nature. Many times jobs are appointed not based on who is best qualified but on friends helping friends get positions. Management is ignorant of what goes on in their departments; I have observed a lack of accountability and responsibility in supervisors, mismanagement of time, resources, and talent, and lack of innovation in implementing effective processes that would encourage growth and advancement in the agency.

Advice to Management

Reflect on practical strategies to retain the younger demographic. Those of us coming on of graduate schools cannot make a career at this agency based on the salary and the opportunity for continued training and advancement. I had high hopes and was rather disappointed.

9. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent location near downtown Columbia

Cons

This is the most unprofessional place I ever worked. Projects are deliberately set up to fail. Employees constantly blame and criticize other workers, rather than working diligently and cooperatively towards a solution. On top of all that, the pay is unbelievably low! After talking with other current and former state employees, I have been assured that my experience is not unique. Quite a few people have been ousted from state jobs over the years under very unfair circumstances.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

"Morale Couldn't Be Lower"

Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Environmental Health Manager in Aiken, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good time off benefits. Alternative work schedule (for now). Best part about working here, is leaving at the end of the day.

Cons

Upper management is completely clueless, the changes they are making are killing morale. Seems like change just to change, remember "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". No raises, ever, unless you are in management. We got a COL raise last summer and it was immediately taken from us in insurance rate hikes.

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism. Firing low paid workers then hiring your friends at salaries of 70k+. If you want to keep your most talented and dedicated people you have to pay them, and give them performance raises.

11. "Great atmosphere despite the red tape needed to get anything accomplished."

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Department of Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great and very dedicated.

Cons

Constant uncertainty regarding funding year to year.