South Carolina Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2021

Found 259 of over 260 reviews

4.9
Pros
  • "Work life balance is promoted by a flexible schedule if possible(in 53 reviews)

• "Benefits are some of the best in the industry including a generous 401k match(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "can’t think(in 7 reviews)

• "The health insurance is expensive(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A Culture of Excellence

Oct 22, 2020 - Vice President Mortgage Lending in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

A culture that is inclusive and encouraging. Mentor development programs Great Leadership. Excellent Benefits. Work/Life Balance. Nice and caring people. Environmentally conscious organization. Socially conscious organization Tremendous supporter of our employees and the communities we serve. The opportunity to lead the mortgage division of South Carolina Federal Credit Union In Charleston SC presented itself after an extremely successful career in Atlanta Ga. I had heard really great things about SCFCU including a supportive culture, unbelievable employee benefits and a “real” emphasis on serving their communities and employees from a financial, environmental and socially responsible aspect. Everything lined up and I accepted the position and moved my family from Atlanta to Charleston and began my position as VP of Mortgage Lending on March 3 2020. I did my due diligence and felt like I had made a great decision. And after 9 months here I can confidently say the experience has “EXCEEDED” my lofty expectations. At SCFCU you are a person with a name and not a number. Everyone is so encouraging and willing to help you reach the next level of your career aspirations. There are mentor programs in place putting highly skilled experienced managers with those who wish to enhance their careers. There are many programs you can join within the Credit Union to help people in our communities and projects to help protect and maintain our environment. There are many employment opportunities out there but I can tell you that the best opportunity for all the reasons above and even more I haven’t mentioned are here at South Carolina Federal Credit Union.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources Team

Wow! Thank you for providing such detail in your review. We appreciate you sharing all of the things you love about working here. You really shared an extensive list of benefits for others to review. Thanks for your leadership and service to our members!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing place to work

Jun 14, 2021 - Security Administrator in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Home/Work balance is incredible, teamwork and cooperation is over the top, management is superb from top to bottom.

Cons

None at this time at all.

Human Resources Team

So happy to read your feedback! Thank you for your continued service to your internal and external members.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Have a career, not just a job!

Jun 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Generous PTO. Fantastic community involvement. Great support for mental health through our EAP. Overall great people to work with. Leadership promotes development and sees it as a win when people are promoted and have growth opportunities. Leaders in other departments will work with you to help you gain experience in their area. You can speak openly about your career goals with your manager and there is a lot of help available.

Cons

Very few! My senior leader is very approachable, a great communicator, and helpful in every interaction. Sometimes I wish I could have a little more interaction because I’m not sure if they are aware of some of the things I’m working on. I feel very well informed on what is going on in the senior level, but I’m not always sure if they are aware of what is going on on my level.

Human Resources Team

We appreciate the time you spent telling others about your employee experience. Thank you for highlighting some of your favorite benefits and for your suggestion for more interaction with senior leaders. As with all reviews, we will forward your thoughts to our senior leadership team.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing environment to work in!

Apr 21, 2021 - Training Specialist in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having had very few jobs before working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union it took me awhile to grasp how great of a work environment I was truly in. I knew it was better than what I had experienced with previous employers, but over the years my eyes have been continuously opened to how great of a place this is to work. As a tenured employee, I can’t see myself ever working anywhere else-and not just because I’d have to “start over” in my career. The inclusive culture, endless development opportunities, outstanding benefits-both traditional and non-traditional, and the family I have built within the departments and people I work with all contribute to my loyalty as both a member and an employee. Being afforded the opportunity in my role to help our employees increase their knowledge and develop their skill sets to make a positive impact in our members’ financial lives is equally rewarding. The leaders of the organization invest in, support and encourage that continuous growth and provide the tools and training necessary for us and to deliver world class service to our members and excel in our careers. The way South Carolina Federal Credit Union values each and every member and employee makes the work environment here one you not only appreciate, but look forward to remaining in.

Cons

I have no cons to share at this time.

Human Resources Team

Wow, wow, wow! Thank you for this amazing feedback!

5. 5.0

Best Place to Work!

May 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

South Carolina Federal creates a safe, cohesive environment that is truly family where you can rely and count on one another. This has been evident throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, where teams have come together to ensure that we continue to deliver the same member service and support.

Cons

There will always be challenges that arise, but that is where we grow. Most importantly, I feel valued and heard when working through any issues. I'm given the opportunity to contribute my time and skills for outcomes that can have a positive impact.

Human Resources Team

Wonderful feedback! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! Appreciate your continued service to our members.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

This place has been a blessing in my life.

Jun 11, 2021 - Relationship Specialist Sales in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you want to grow and be happy, this is the place to be. This company makes you feel really special and motivates me to be the best.

Cons

I have been working here for 15 years and can't really find anything negative to say.

Human Resources Team

Thank you for your continued service and loyalty to your members. Appreciate another five-star review!

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place To Work!

Jun 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Management cares for employees overall well being. -Generous time off -Generous 401k -Room for advancement

Cons

-Lots of room for advancement, but opportunities are limited at a certain level in the organization.

Human Resources Team

Thank you for your review and for the time you spent as a member of our team! We appreciate you highlighting some of the things you enjoyed most about working here. While there are many opportunities for advancement, it is true that some areas have fewer opportunities for growth than others. Some of our departments are staffed with professionals who have been working for the credit union for 20+ years. With an average tenure of 9 years, our turnover is low, so that sometimes means opportunities for advancement come along less frequently than they may in other organizations. We're proud, however, to fill over 80% of our open positions internally, resulting in over 150 promotions in the past two years. Thank you again for taking the time to tell others about your employee experience.

8. 5.0

Best Place to Work

Apr 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked for South Carolina Federal CU for 20+ years and can’t imagine working for any other organization! What I have learned during my tenure here at the credit union is that management really focus on their employees. Whether is be a personal event in your life or during a global situation, our CEO and the Leadership Team remain focus on the employee’s wellness. The benefits are amazing, especially the 401K plan, which is unheard of in most places. Generous PTO accrual, various community involvement opportunities, health and wellness activities through the year, personal and professional development, and so much more for everyone to get involved and feel included. I am very proud to be an employee at South Carolina Federal because we are a family organization and everyone is treated in that regard.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Human Resources Team

Wonderful feedback! Thank you for leaving another five-star review!

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Drink the BLUE kool aid

Jun 17, 2021 - Financial Services Representative in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay Generous PTO Community involvement 401k match Career development CU handled covid very well

Cons

Micro management (very intense managers) Work life balance (non existent) Forced high rating on Glassdoor Health plan Not a true credit union If you say anything against the company you will be reprimanded for not being BLUE enough

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best Career Move I’ve Ever Made

Jun 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

They encourage growth, salary is highly competitive, and senior management is very approachable.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. It’s a great place to be a part of.

Human Resources Team

Fantastic feedback! Thank you for leaving a review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 259 Reviews