KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

South Carolina Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2021

Found 271 of over 273 reviews

4.9
Pros
  • "Work life balance is promoted by a flexible schedule if possible(in 53 reviews)

• "Benefits are some of the best in the industry including a generous 401k match(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "can’t think(in 7 reviews)

• "The health insurance is expensive(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

A Culture of Excellence

Oct 22, 2020 - Vice President Mortgage Lending in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

A culture that is inclusive and encouraging. Mentor development programs Great Leadership. Excellent Benefits. Work/Life Balance. Nice and caring people. Environmentally conscious organization. Socially conscious organization Tremendous supporter of our employees and the communities we serve. The opportunity to lead the mortgage division of South Carolina Federal Credit Union In Charleston SC presented itself after an extremely successful career in Atlanta Ga. I had heard really great things about SCFCU including a supportive culture, unbelievable employee benefits and a “real” emphasis on serving their communities and employees from a financial, environmental and socially responsible aspect. Everything lined up and I accepted the position and moved my family from Atlanta to Charleston and began my position as VP of Mortgage Lending on March 3 2020. I did my due diligence and felt like I had made a great decision. And after 9 months here I can confidently say the experience has “EXCEEDED” my lofty expectations. At SCFCU you are a person with a name and not a number. Everyone is so encouraging and willing to help you reach the next level of your career aspirations. There are mentor programs in place putting highly skilled experienced managers with those who wish to enhance their careers. There are many programs you can join within the Credit Union to help people in our communities and projects to help protect and maintain our environment. There are many employment opportunities out there but I can tell you that the best opportunity for all the reasons above and even more I haven’t mentioned are here at South Carolina Federal Credit Union.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources Team

Wow! Thank you for providing such detail in your review. We appreciate you sharing all of the things you love about working here. You really shared an extensive list of benefits for others to review. Thanks for your leadership and service to our members!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Employees First

Sep 16, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Senior leaders and the Board of Directors keep employee welfare, safety, engagement, fulfillment and satisfaction top priority - employees that are well cared for will take care exceptional care of clients/members/customers. The list goes on and on - excellent benefits, competitive pay (including Pay Per Performance incentive pay), Monday through Friday schedule, paid holidays, community involvement/philanthropy, personal/professional development opportunities, emphasis on diversity/equity/inclusion and generous PTO are all great reasons to work here and stay! I appreciate all management has done and continues to do to balance our business with health and wellness of our members and employees during the pandemic. I would be remiss if I did not mention the high level caliber and quality of employees that have been selected to work for SCFed - I have reported to three different Area Vice Presidents and all have been exceptional leaders in which I have utmost respect.

Cons

While PTO is generous and greatly appreciated, it can be difficult to get approved to take time off due to staffing limitations. This also puts a strain on the rest of the team, carrying the workload for those not at work. Having a designated, fully staff floater team to cover Service and Sales Reps. that are on PTO would be wonderful! Having the opportunity for more flexible working hours would be nice, too, but not possible due to the operating hours of the financial centers. Branch Suite could use some improvements to enhance the member and employee experience.

Human Resources Team

We're grateful for another five-star review and for the detailed feedback you provided. Thank you for taking some time to tell others about your experience. We are so happy to read the many aspects of credit union employment with which you are satisfied. Thank you also for your comments about the caliber of employees selected to work here. Our Talent Team does an exceptional job of choosing the most qualified, professional, positive people to work with our members. We also appreciate your feedback regarding staffing and scheduling conflicts, especially as they pertain to PTO. Work/life balance is a priority for our senior leadership team. That's why our PTO plan is so generous. They want you to be able to take time off to spend time with your family and to relax, refocus, and recharge. It's so important. As with all reviews, we will forward your feedback about PTO and your suggestion about the floater team to our senior leaders for consideration. We will also communicate your Branch Suite feedback to our IT team. Thank you again for such an informed view of life at South Carolina Federal. We appreciate you!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Company that Values it’s Employees

Sep 8, 2021 - Financial Services Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been with this company for some time now, and am still amazed at the benefits and personal treatment I continue to receive from everyone I’ve worked with.

Cons

Compensation could be higher, but benefits and PTO help with that

Human Resources Team

Thank you for providing a glimpse into your employee experience through a Glassdoor review. We appreciate your feedback and your continued service to your members. We're happy to hear that you are pleased with the benefits you receive, and we're even happier to hear that you feel you are treated well as a valued employee. Regarding pay, our HR team conducts a thorough assessment of each job description annually and uses a third-party compensation vendor to price jobs. They compare the credit union's roles with similar jobs in our industry and in the South Carolina market. We complete this assessment to ensure that we are paying our employees at or above market. We also provide annual merit increases based on performance. Thank you again for your five-star review!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Culture, Inclusivity, Work-Life Balance

Sep 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

South Carolina Federal fosters an environment that encourages inclusivity throughout the organization, bringing value to their employees, which results in a high performing & talented team. The culture here gives me a feeling of purpose, where everyone feels like family. When it comes to work-life balance, to me it’s more of a “circle”, I don’t have sacrifice one for the other. I’m excited to come to work, and get to enjoy plenty of time outside of work doing the things I love.

Cons

I think the pay could be more competitive for the market.

Human Resources Team

We love hearing that you're excited to come to work! So happy to hear that you feel a balance between work and life outside of work. That's so important! Thank you also for highlighting our focus on inclusion. :) Regarding pay, our HR team conducts a thorough assessment of each job description annually and uses a third-party compensation vendor to price jobs. They compare the credit union's roles with similar jobs in our industry and in the South Carolina market. This is done to ensure we are paying our employees at or above market. If you have additional questions about your pay, feel free to reach out to our HR Manager. Finally, we see that you rated us "negative" on our business outlook for the future. We're proud to let you know that there's nothing to worry about. In terms of assets and growth, we are trending in the right direction. Additionally, our CEO promised no layoffs due to the pandemic and has kept that promise. Our future is bright!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work for.

Sep 2, 2021 - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Caring company about employees and overall a great place to work

Cons

Basic insurance is not the best, it’s free. I guess you get what you pay for.

Human Resources Team

Thanks so much for taking a moment to tell others about your employee experience. We're glad to see another 5-star review. :) Regarding our medical insurance, we offer an HSA, along with a comprehensive medical insurance plan. We currently pay 100% of employee premiums (free for you) and 50% of dependent premiums, resulting in an almost 60% reduction in costs for employees, and we provide $1,000 per year as seed money into employees' HSAs to help offset additional medical expenses for employees. We also offer an alternative tele-medicine provider and a robust wellness program to assist employees with their overall health goals. Additionally, employees who use in-network providers pay a discounted fee for services. Our HR team continues to monitor the healthcare market and strategizes to find the best healthcare option for all employees. Our HR Benefits Specialist is available for a one-on-one consultation to help you understand all of your employer-provided healthcare options. Feel free to reach out to her with any questions you may have.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Inclusive Company

Aug 24, 2021 - Financial Center Manager in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have put lots of effort into making sure inclusivity and diversity is a top priority. I feel like they also market to the employees as well as customers. This builds brand loyalty within the company. The CEO knew me by name. This was great!

Cons

Heavily sales focused which is great if you also are sales focused. You will be "coached out" if you are not meeting sales goals.

Human Resources Team

Thank you for your service to our members and for the positive feedback, particularly about our inclusive environment. We appreciate your sharing your employee experience with others. Regarding our sales and service culture, it is true that employees in our financial centers have goals to meet and member service survey scores to attain. We discuss this in detail during our hiring process. We work with employees who are not meeting their goals, but our coaching relates solely to the credit union's core values of honesty, teamwork, accountability, professionalism, positive attitude, and sharing the vision. We teach employees that selling with integrity begins with a service mentality. Helping our members to become financially successful involves connecting with them, providing exceptional service, and introducing them to products and services that they may not even know exist. When employees view this model as a valued service to our members, it’s a win-win for our membership. If an employee is struggling in this area, we encourage them to seek assistance from their leadership team or reach to out to our Learning Center staff to inquire about additional training that may be available. We want to see our team succeed!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great place to work

Aug 5, 2021 - City Executive in Florence, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

management is very caring for the individual. They have a very good HR department Their 401k match is the best I have seen in the industry Management truly supports the employees and are very appreciative The credit union supports employees volunteer leadership in their communities

Cons

I do not see any cons in this company.

Human Resources Team

Thanks so much for highlighting our 401k match and our commitment to serving the community. We appreciate you taking time to leave a review.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love this company!!!

Jul 30, 2021 - Financial Service Manager in Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- PTO - Free Health Insurance - Family Atmosphere - Work/Life Balance - Loan Rates - 401K match

Cons

Currently no complaints about this amazing company 😁

Human Resources Team

Outstanding feedback! Thank you for your continued service to your members.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Organization, Great Leadership, Great Benefits!

Jul 16, 2021 - Business Process Manager in North Charleston, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership cares about the direction and successful, managable growth of the organization as well as the health, growth, and success of the employees. The medical benefits, 401k options, generous vacation time, and the myriad of wellness programs/perks are truly outstanding! SC Federal Credit Union IS A COMPANY THAT CARES for their members and their employees. I'm definitely happy to work here! ♡

Cons

I can't think of any cons!

Human Resources Team

We're so happy you work here, too! Thank you for taking a moment to tell others about your employee experience.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Not a job, A CAREER

Jul 14, 2021 - Financial Service Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation & Benefits are amazing! Generous Time Off! Leadership cares about the employees! People Helping People! 401K Match is the best around! Internal advancement opportunities

Cons

None I can think of.

Human Resources Team

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for the thorough feedback and for recognizing the senior leadership team for the thought and diligence that went into (and continues to go into) taking care of our employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 271 Reviews