South Carolina Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
South Carolina Federal Credit Union President and CEO Scott Woods
Scott Woods

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Many organizations say that work/life balance is important to them" (in 19 reviews)

• "Truly one of THE best 401K match a company can give" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have no cons to list at this time" (in 4 reviews)

• "There is more work/life balance for the back office department employees versus the financial center employees" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I'm proud to be a part of such a great company!"

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. South Carolina Federal Credit Union always looks for ways to give back to our community. Whether it's through partnering with local non-profits or participating in scholarships, the Credit Union management and employees eagerly jump in to volunteer their time and talents.
    2. Many companies say that they have an "open-door policy," but in reality, they don't. South Carolina Federal is completely different from anything I have ever experienced because the Senior Management team is approachable, encouraging, and involved in helping their team members and the company develop and thrive!
    3. Their competitive wages and benefits are great!
    4. The employee culture is fantastic! I enjoy working with a team made up of people who are passionate about our members, our community, and the credit union mission. We also like to have a lot of fun!

Cons

I don't have any cons!

Advice to Management

Continue to integrate the culture of continuous feedback, approachability, and internal growth and development. Continue to invest in your employees.

Mar 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

We're thrilled to see another five star review! Thank you for the positive feedback and for your commitment to serving South Carolina Federal's members.

2. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package, amazing culture, and well-designed career advancement programs.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be a little challenging when working in a Financial Center.

3. "I love working for this company."

Current Employee - ATM Specialist in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - ATM Specialist in North Charleston, SC

Pros

401k match is awesome, work life balance is my favorite, very active in helping the community, and gives options to help with wellness and education assistance

Cons

Traffic is the only issue I have

Sep 5, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

We feel you! Traffic can be a bit of a nightmare some days in the Lowcountry! Despite the traffic woes, we do appreciate your more than 10 years of service and loyalty to your members. Thank you... More

4. "Best Place To Work In S.C. For A Reason!"

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great work environment, employees feel valued, JAW DROPPING benefits! The only "con" I can think of is that I instantly regretted not applying years ago!

Cons

I can't think of any real cons.

Advice to Management

Statements should be accessible in the mobile app.

The dormant account fee needs a serious face lift. Having an account go dormant after only 6 months is way too short. I cannot tell you how many irate members I have spoke to that have $10k-$100k sitting in a "dormant" account being charged $10/mo simply because they did not touch their nest egg or emergency fund for 6 months. Those members feel like the CU is punishing them for keeping their money on deposit. My suggestion would be for all accounts, or at least accounts with over $10K, to not go dormant until after 12 months of no activity.

Sep 5, 2018

Wow! We love that you think our benefits are “jaw dropping”. Thank you for taking the time to provide an employee review and to highlight some of the things you love about working at the credit... More

5. "Service"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Summerville, SC
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Summerville, SC

Pros

Overall there are great people to work with. They offer decent benefits with awesome pay. The training before going into a financial center is in great detail and very hands on.

Cons

It is really rough on your back and body to stand all day in the financial center. I HAVE to regularly see my chiropractor because of this. You have to continuously ask and remind management to allow you to shadow other departments or look into other opportunities. Can become very discouraging.

Advice to Management

We are told never to product push, but to have member engaging conversations to uncover needs and get to know our members. Then on the other hand in the financial center we will then talk about numbers all day everyday and how we need to increase our numbers at all times. Makes it feel product pushed and even members notice and comment on this.

Sep 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your employee experience with us. We appreciate you highlighting some of the things you like about the organization and the benefits we... More

6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Vice President in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Life work balance, benefits, employee friendly culture

Cons

I honestly don’t have any downsides

Aug 17, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Thanks so much for providing a review of your employee experience. We appreciate your eight years of service and loyalty to your members and to your employees.

7. "A company that truly cares and respects its employees"

Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Chief Financial Officer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Open door policy
    Fun work environment
    Great pay and benefits

Cons

No items to list as cons

Aug 17, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Thanks for highlighting the fun work environment we provide. Definitely helps to have fun at work. Appreciate your review!

8. "Truly a Best Place to Work!"

Pros

Supportive management, development and promotional opportunities, compensation to include incentive opportunity, both traditional and non-traditional benefits, positive work environment, wellness program/activities, the foundation that provides many charitable volunteer opportunities that are important to me and the recipients they help, etc. - These are just a few of my favorite things about working at South Carolina Federal.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that it will be hard to retire when you love the culture and people you work with.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, because you have made South Carolina Federal truly a Best Place to Work!

Aug 17, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

This is WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing all of the awesome things you love about working at South Carolina Federal.

9. "Enjoying My Credit Union Career"

I have been working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*People Helping People - through our membership and employee base
    *Benefits - fantastic 401k and health benefit options
    *Career Growth and Development - great internal promotion opportunities
    *Community Involvement - the credit union supports and encourages participation in community outreach, and actually provides incentives for involvement

Cons

There are no cons I have experienced thus far to share.

Advice to Management

Great support and communication from all levels of management. Keep up the great work!

Jul 17, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

We can't thank you enough for providing a great list of things you love about your career at the CU. Appreciate your 5+ years of service and loyalty to our members. Thanks for taking the time to... More

10. "16 Years of Opportunity"

Pros

I have worked at all levels of the credit
    union and have been given development and promotion opportunities at each of them.

Cons

I don’t have any cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the opportunities I have been given. I feel blessed.

Jul 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Thank you for another five-star review! Appreciate you taking a moment to share some info about your employee experience with others.