KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of South Carolina Federal Credit Union and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place to Work

Sep 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working for SCFCU for almost 25 years. I absolutely love my job and working here! From the great benefits/competitive pay to the wonderful family oriented culture it really doesn't get better than this. Some of my favorite benefits are: Very generous 401(k) plan, free medical benefit option (even in this rising healthcare cost environment), wellness programs, DEI programs, hybrid roles for support teams and career development programs.

Cons

I really cannot think of any.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Feeling SO Blessed To Work At SC Federal Credit Union

Sep 21, 2022 - Human Resources in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since I started at the Credit Union, I feel so blessed! Not only do I feel heard & supported, but I'm encouraged to bring my ideas. It's truly been a refreshing environment to work within. We're growing leaps & bounds, and to be a part of that growth has been ABSOLUTELY amazing. I have a wonderful Leader, who encourages me to seek opportunities of growth within the organization, all while supporting me & preparing me for what I anticipate to be a wonderful career future ahead. I have GREAT teammates that are so helpful & take pride in being a part of Team Blue. But I think what really sticks out to me is the family vibe that you feel when you step inside of any back-office department or Financial Center. Yep, I am blessed & I encourage you to see what great opportunities we have here at the Credit Union by visiting our careers website. But don't take my word for it, see the reviews that coincide with what I've expressed!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Human Resources Team

What an amazing review! Thank you for sharing all of the unique things you love about your role, your teammates, and your department.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Named a Best Place to Work Repeatedly for a Reason

Sep 9, 2022 - Marketing in North Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The Leadership team from the top down is generous of heart for both employees and members. - The employee benefits are amazing! - Volunteer time off makes it very easy to serve our communities during the work day. - Our people are dedicated, loyal, and generous. - Blue Ribbon service sets us apart in the marketplace. - We get to do good work everyday.

Cons

- Getting to know all of our employees when our financial centers are spread out so broadly can make it tough to feel connected to them.

Human Resources Team

Love, love, love your pros! Thank you for pointing out so many unique things you love about working at the credit union. As with all other Glassdoor reviews, we will be forwarding your feedback along to senior leadership. We know it's tough to get to know all of your coworkers when we are spaced out in 20+ locations across the state. Fortunately, we have resources like 15Five and our employee-only Facebook group to help bridge that gap. If you can ever think of other ways to help the team be more connected, please let us know.

4. 5.0

Employment review

Sep 27, 2022 - Reports/Data Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

10% 401K Match Vacation Time and periodical Personal Time off throughout the year Salary is great Work from home ability They care about you and you are not just a number Employee loan rate benefits

Cons

Bonus for long term employment should be higher. Like 20 years - $2,000

5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Frontline staff are stretched too thin and changes need to be made to increase satisfaction and work-life integration

Jul 9, 2022 - Perfer Not to Say
    Business Outlook

Pros

401K, tuition reimbursement, and employee loan rates

Cons

Management who isn’t willing to listen to employees who desire to work from home more than two days a week. It is extremely frustrating when the contact center is fully remote and other employees who work back-office and don’t live in the Charleston area are allowed to work remotely, yet this isn’t even considered for the rest of staff. I enjoy certain aspects of this company, but have noticed a huge decline in employee satisfaction, job turnover, and management support. They ask for employee feedback through various surveys and monthly check-ins, but I don’t see any changes from it. It’s difficult when you can’t express your thoughts and feelings without fear of reprimand or backlash from certain management.

Human Resources Team

Thank you for leaving a review and for highlighting some of the benefits you enjoy at the credit union. We're disappointed to read your feedback about the benefit to work remotely and welcome the opportunity to address it. First and foremost, Senior Leadership is listening! They hear employee concerns and take employee opinions into consideration daily. However, hearing a complaint does not always mean a change will ultimately occur. While senior leaders have made many changes over the years as a result of employee surveys, their responsibility is to consider the feedback, to look at the organization from a macro level, and to make what they feel is the best decision for the members, the employees, and the organization as a whole. Second, as an employer, we know that our culture is vital. We've worked hard to build and sustain a collaborative work environment and a family atmosphere across the organization. While a degree of remote working is available to most of our support staff, to do so exclusively would degrade what we have worked so hard to build. There are some aspects of our culture that simply can't be replicated when a majority of our employees are working remotely. Being together allows for idea and information sharing, as well as increased connection and collaboration. Though we understand and appreciate the convenience of working-from-home, we know that our culture is best preserved when Team Blue is together more than we are apart. We also understand that some of the benefits of working remotely, such as flexibility and work/life balance, are critical to maintain. That's why employees do have the option to work remotely for a portion of their work week. Third, senior leadership made the difficult decision to allow our contact center employees to work from home full-time due to the extreme challenge of finding top talent to fill those roles. Contact center employees are unique in their skillset and their job responsibilities, and we found ourselves in direct competition with call centers across the entire nation who have transitioned to fully remote work environments. In order to remain competitive in filling these roles, we ultimately had to make that choice. Again, this was examined at a macro level and was determined to be in the best interest of the organization as a whole. Fortunately, we do have contact center positions available fairly often, so this is a potential option for employees who wish to work from home five days a week. Feel free to reach out to the Talent Acquisition team to discuss this role if this opportunity interests you. Finally (and fortunately), we are not seeing the same trends you see with regard to employee satisfaction, turnover, and management support. Our turnover remains well below the industry average, and our employee feedback in general is positive with many employees expressing their thanks to management and their gratitude at being given the opportunity to work from home at all when so many other companies - financial institutions in particular - are back in the office five days a week. Our focus has always been and continues to be on our members and employees. This will not change. It's that focus on employees through benefits and career development and work/life balance that has propelled us as a top workplace year after year. Additionally, our focus on mergers has helped the organization to really grow our footprint, thus preventing the layoffs we see in other financial institutions across the country. We are sorry to read that you are this unhappy with the terms of your employment but hope that you can reflect on the good that you experience as a credit union employee. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us.

6. 5.0

Financial Center Manager

Sep 23, 2022 - Financial Center Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work Family oriented Great employee benefits

Cons

Nothing as far as I'm concerned

Human Resources Team

Excellent feedback! Thanks so much for taking a moment to leave a review.

7. 5.0

Great place to work!

Sep 6, 2022 - Service Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many great things about this company. I appreciate the fact that Senior Management actually asks for feed back from employees and they use the feed back to implement positive changes. The employee's benefits are excellent and the people are great to work with.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Human Resources Team

Fantastic feedback! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others. We appreciate your continued service to your members and teammates.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Coming to SCFCU was a great career change for me.

Aug 26, 2022 -  in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work schedule and work life balance are outstanding. Working for a company that is heavily invested in giving back to the community and being involved in charity work is important to me.

Cons

Each location has a different amount of foot traffic. In my time so far even the busiest days are not as stressful as a previous job.

Human Resources Team

We're glad to hear your stress levels are down from your previous employer. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for highlighting your favorite things about working at the credit union.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Literally the best thing since sliced bread.

Sep 15, 2022 - Financial Services Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Work life balance Relationships Open door policy’s

Cons

Entry level salary is poor

Human Resources Team

Sliced bread? :) We'll take it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and others. Love the pros you shared. Particularly pleased to see you mentioned relationships! That's awesome! Regarding salary, your HR team conducts a thorough assessment of each job description annually and uses a third-party compensation vendor to price jobs. They compare the credit union's roles with similar jobs in our industry and in the South Carolina market. This is done to ensure we are paying our employees at or above market. We are going through this process now and believe our pay to be comparable to others in the market. If we find that it is not, we aim to make adjustments so that we can attract and retain talented employees. Thank you again for the time you spent leaving a review.

10. 5.0

Financial Service Rep

Sep 6, 2022 - Financial Service Representative (FSR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

PTO accrual is 144 hours ( years 0- 4). Not open on weekends. You are treated as a person. Not just a warm body. Free health Insurance. Work-Life-Balance

Cons

Pay could be better. Health Insurance isn’t the best.

Human Resources Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We love seeing all of the benefits and perks you feel passionately about. We're particularly happy to read that you feel welcomed and valued at work, not "just a warm body." Regarding salary, your HR team conducts a thorough assessment of each job description annually and uses a third-party compensation vendor to price jobs. They compare the credit union's roles with similar jobs in our industry and in the South Carolina market. This is done to ensure we are paying our employees at or above market. We are going through this process now and believe our pay to be comparable to others in the market. Regarding your concern about medical insurance, we offer an HSA, along with a comprehensive medical insurance plan. We currently pay 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependent premiums, resulting in an almost 60% reduction in costs for employees, and we currently provide $1,000 per year as seed money into employees' HSAs to help offset additional medical expenses for employees. We also offer an alternative tele-medicine provider and a robust wellness program to assist employees with their overall health goals. Additionally, employees who use in-network providers pay a discounted fee for services. Our HR team continues to monitor the healthcare market and strategizes to find the best healthcare option for all employees. Our HR Benefits Specialist is available for a one-on-one consultation to help you understand all of your employer-provided healthcare options. Feel free to reach out to her with any questions you may have. Thank you again for sharing your employee experience with us and others.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 365 Reviews

South Carolina Federal Credit Union Reviews FAQs

South Carolina Federal Credit Union has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5, based on over 368 reviews left anonymously by employees. 97% of employees would recommend working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union to a friend and 95% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, South Carolina Federal Credit Union employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at South Carolina Federal Credit Union. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

97% of South Carolina Federal Credit Union employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated South Carolina Federal Credit Union 4.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at South Carolina Federal Credit Union to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with South Carolina Federal Credit Union Job Seekers