South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department Reviews | Glassdoor

South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department Commissioner Neal Getsinger
Neal Getsinger
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Job Coach - Best Job Ever....however"

Former Employee - Job Coach
    Former Employee - Job Coach

I worked at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a great job! Working with individuals with disabilities, helping them to find competitive employment - most gratifying job I've ever had! Loved my co-workers, loved my boss - SCVRD is truly a professional, top notch agency that holds true to its mission.

Cons

Only con - pay. It is such a sad truth that those of us with the desire and passion to serve individuals with disabilities cannot afford to work in our field of choice. Ultimately, the people who are served lose. However, in the agency's defense, they are at the mercy of the state and federal government.

2. "Disability Claims Examiner-SSA"

I have been working at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department full-time

Pros

Pay is somewhat okay. Healthcare benefits are good.

Cons

Production job, in processing disability cases. Management is all about meeting their numbers.

3. "Observing"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

Pros

Different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicity, Sense of self-awareness and identifying counseling technique

Cons

Based on productivity and numbers. Not much time to actually interact with the clients and assist basic needs because main focus is on numbers and meeting production.

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing things that can alleviate pressure from the Counselors so they are more effective with clients. Stop pressuring workers with Productivity and lean more towards self-care. You take care of workers I promise they will take care of you. You wouldn't even have to ask about productivity. If people are overworked, and overlooked it is hard to produce positively. They become drained and may feel unappreciated.

4. "Disability Examiner"

Current Employee - Development Specialist/Disability Examiner in Cayce, SC
    Current Employee - Development Specialist/Disability Examiner in Cayce, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have a decent salary

Cons

You are unable to work any overtime

5. "It's a great place to go if you have a disability and you're looking for employment!"

Former Employee - Job Readiness Training
    Former Employee - Job Readiness Training

I worked at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm still receiving services from and my new counselor is cool! He is really trying help me find a job.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to about SCVRD. They are an awesome company for people with disabilities and they need help with looking for a job.

Advice to Management

They need to on better rescheduling system for appointments. Other than that I have nothing else to say.

6. "Practicum/Internship"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

Pros

The State of South Carolina is determined to provide the best possible service to those with a disability and have a genuine desire to return to work. I have seen the program "in action" and those that complain about any element, should reconsider just how blessed they are. The resources made available to qualified South Carolinian's is nothing short of staggering!

The Job Readiness Training Center, that one person was complaining about, is designed to prepare a consumer to smoothly transition into a position of employment in the public sector. This training is strictly voluntary - you are not required to participate in it.

I would encourage anyone to compare this program to any other program both nationwide and universally.

Cons

No program is perfect, but I believe that an honest attempt is made to identify weaknesses and do everything possible to resolve them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

7. "I loved working in this company! If I had to choose any job field to work in, it would definitely be warehousing."

Former Contractor - Warehouse Production in Florence, SC
    Former Contractor - Warehouse Production in Florence, SC

I worked at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It will teach you some much needed job training and will help you further your career goals.

Cons

Since the job was not an hourly job, it was kind of hard getting as much work in as possible.

"They Don't Provide Accommodations For Their Own Employees"

Former Employee - Counselor in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Counselor in Columbia, SC

I worked at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed helping clients. It made coming to work worthwhile. I spent extra time, helping write resumes, etc.

Cons

To make more money...you are taken farther and farther away from helping clients directly. The job becomes less rewarding...just reviewing others work. The people who are promoted the farthest and fastest, know someone at state office. Many top staff have never done any case work in the field and were fast-tracked because of who they knew.

Advice to Management

My disability was turned against me and became a liability. They harassed me focussing on my disability. If you do not fit in with their little club in Columbia, they harass you. Your disability is easy to aim at!

9. "Its a great place to work"

Current Intern - Work Study Student in West Columbia, SC
    Current Intern - Work Study Student in West Columbia, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers there are super awesome!

Cons

NONE! Nothing I can't think of.

Advice to Management

N/A

"legalized sweat shop"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Greenville, SC

I have been working at South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, the is not a good side to being in the training program

Cons

Legalized slavery they want you pay you the least amount that they possible can