South Jersey Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Renna

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

I worked at South Jersey Industries full-time

Pros

Excellent corporate culture and vision.

Cons

Relatively small company, so therefore advancement is very competitive.

2. "A work in progress"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Hammonton, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Hammonton, NJ

I have been working at South Jersey Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, 401(k) match, flextime.

Cons

Working to change their culture.

Advice to Management

There are numerous Manager/Supervisors with no employees reporting to them. In addition, most employees are local residents with no education past high school and with no industry experience. The general frustration at SJI is they will hire new talent who reports to someone who does not have the business acumen to foster the new talent. These managers prefer hold onto the attitude "we've always done it this way - we're not changing". As a result, employees with talent don't stay too long. The cultural attitude is the main weakness. There isn't a lot of diversity, innovation or promotional opportunities.
    Finally, there are no departmental metrics in place to determine if job functions are performing/underperforming. Management needs to develop indicators to determine the efficiencies of each department.

3. "Good Company"

I worked at South Jersey Industries full-time

Pros

Good culture- learned a lot

Cons

I dont have any cons

"Unorganized, old school company"

I have been working at South Jersey Industries full-time

Pros

The company has nice employees.

Cons

The company is unorganized from top to bottom. There are some good departments and some real duds. The same individuals keep getting promoted, with multiple promotions in one year. The organization does not really care about their employees or actually retaining talent. Poor performers are simply moved into new obscure positions, and good employees are overlooked.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and interact with employees, sitting at the exclusive lunch table does not count as visibility. The company policies are outdated, lack of flexibility, vacation policy outdated, extreme weather policy outdated as well.

5. "Cliche, typical, uncaring corporation. Nothing to see here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, NJ

I have been working at South Jersey Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Safe workplace and good benefits. Not much more than that. Great for people who do not want to move up in a company.

Cons

I used to love it here. Career enhancement opportunities are now reserved for outside applicants and outside candidates. They will have you go through the interviews, have you wait weeks just to tell you they picked someone else who has less experience in the natural gas/energy field but knows someone in the company (I'm looking at you management) I've been here more than 11 years and it just recently got like this under Mike Renna and new initiatives by HR. I am planning my escape via Glassdoor. You've been warned! If you do get the misfortune to work here, make sure you remember this review. Print it and frame it as proof of your failure to heed advice. Good day.

Advice to Management

Look around you!!! You have the talent to promote within and keep loyal hard working employees. You are wasting thousands in new hires! Not that it is bad but you are losing good talent to your competitors! Wake up!

6. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Folsom, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Folsom, NJ

I have been working at South Jersey Industries part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and employees willing to help you learn and succeed.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

7. "Stay away - toxic environment, bad management"

I worked at South Jersey Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, easy commute, solid CSR

Cons

Full disclosure - I left SJI within the last 10 years. The exact year I left was not an option to select.

Since moving on from SJI, I've taken on a management role myself, with great feedback from those I supervise as well as my upper management. The trick to my success? Taking an approach to management that is the complete opposite of how I was managed/treated at South Jersey Industries. My direct supervisor was toxic, immature, vindictive and unprofessional. (My first red flag, on my first day: another employee walked by her office. She stopped her orientation to give me a run down of all her personal opinions of the other person - how she didn't like how the person dressed, how her college education was a joke, etc.) Additionally, there was little direction/coaching provided (I was entry-level at the time), I was routinely told asking questions was stupid.. At one point, I was held accountable and my performance evaluation suffered because another person, over whom I had no authority, failed to complete their portion of an assignment by a deadline after being given another, high-level/more strategic project from senior management. I was told my direct supervisor that the only way I would succeed (in life and at work) was "to become" her and "do such a good job being" her that I "convinced her I was a better her than she was."

I left as soon as I could and since that time, I have since been with the same company, where I've been promoted twice.

Unrelated to my specific role, I echo the earlier comments that the union employees are treated vastly different than nonunion employees. There was contention and tension between the two groups as a result.

Advice to Management

Make sure your managers - at all levels - are equipped to do their jobs. Don't reward poor management. Realize that different perspectives are valuable and cookie-cutter employees don't help innovate. Compensate employees better - I moved into the nonprofit sector, was offered the same base salary and was given more than double the time off. Build a culture where employees feel heard or at least as if they can raise concerns without retaliation.

8. "Great Experience"

Pros

Alot of real world work and makes a difference. you are not just pushing paper around or getting coffee. the work you do is real, if you werent doing it someone else there would.

Cons

the job can get stressful due to its character. if this is something you like its perfect if not try somewhere else.

"only to keep access to the site"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor Township, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I have been working at South Jersey Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, solid benefits and bonus structure

Cons

Unclear path to advance, no internal mgmt training program, work life balance is challenging, difficult goal setting process

10. "Great intern experience!"

Pros

Management is very friendly and willing to help out interns.

Cons

Ideology felt dated and was not much willingness to change.