South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Matthew Patrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good"

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time

Pros

Good supervision opportunities for all

Cons

Lots of egos in some

"Business Manager"

I worked at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time

Pros

Good induction process, and lots of opportunities to develop your career working collaboratively with services to ensure the best outcomes for patients.

Cons

Services are spread across South London , Croydon and Kent which can make commuting stressful and challenging. The recent restructuring of some services has led to unmanageable performance targets for staff.

"Worked with this organisation for over 21 years"

Former Employee - Community Psychiatric Nurse/Dementia Trainer in London, England (UK)

I worked at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working hours and scope for professional development

Cons

Don't offer exit interview

Advice to Management

It would be a good idea to try and find out why individuals leave the trust

"Great depending on the department"

Pros

The Trust's Corporate department is generally supportive of career progression, supervision, and expanding opportunities.

Cons

Acting up or working to a job load that exceeds capacity is not out of the ordinary.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to cut out the political strife between senior managers and to listed to staff on the ground.

"Under-appreciated & badly managed"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good exposure to mental healthcare in south London
    Great partnership with King's College Hospital
    Good pay & HCAS

Cons

No room for development or growth
    No focus on leadership, training or career progression
    Badly managed
    Unsupportive environment, made to feel bad about being sick or going through personal crisis
    Lack of focus on day-to-day running of the Trust by senior management and execs
    'Blue sky thinking' that takes up all the funding and resources

Advice to Management

Spend money on initiatives that guarantee ROI, not whatever makes the Trust look innovative or forward thinking
    Listen to your front-line staff, support them to provide constructive feedback

"Desktop Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Rochester, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gain experience on multiply platforms/systems

Cons

Some management need to change attitude towards the staff

"Lambeth IAPT"

I worked at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time

Pros

Great team, very effective, culture of improvement, ready access to some of the best teaching in the country, not micromanaged, performance focused.

Cons

Poor facilities, crowded, rapid change and pace. Performance focused

8. "Experts in Mental Health - people here really care"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Southwark, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Southwark, England (UK)

Pros

There are genuine opportunities for staff to develop their careers at SLaM - high quality training is available to staff of all levels and it is clear to see how people have developed. I've been working at the Trust for about a year and have been really impressed by the quality of the clinical staff; the attitude of nurses, doctors and health care assistants is really impressive and it's evident that everyone wants to make a difference.

I think the values of the Trust are strong, they have worked hard to promote the values and commitments of the Trust and these seem to be upheld by staff - it's good to see that the service users are put first.

All the sites are easy to get to on public transport, the canteens are quite good.

Cons

Some of the IT systems and facilities are quite old and it isn't the nicest environment to work in. There is a lot of paper in corporate areas which could be cleared up and many of the offices are quite dark and run down.

There are limited facilities for people who want to cycle to work - there isn't a shower or adequate changing rooms on site which is disappointing

As with all NHS Trusts it would be good to see more nurses on the wards

Advice to Management

Invest in the existing work force by improving working conditions, there are opportunities to make the Trust a nicer place to work which will help people to be more productive.

9. "Consultant Forensic psychiatrist"

I worked at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust full-time

Pros

Good team work varied and interesting patients good therapeutic results good training oppurtunities

Cons

Lack of government funding poor understanding by government of mental health. safety and staffing issues

Advice to Management

Manage your team and support in what is a stressful eenvironment ensure managers and staff are experienced in relevant field training.,communication and supervision essential

"Great place to learn from world leaders in their fields."

Current Employee - Assistant Psychologist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Psychologist in London, England (UK)

Pros

In my area, my supervisors have been exceptionally knowledgeable and generous with sharing their knowledge. They have gone above and beyond to help me improve and develop in a way I have never experienced previously. The clear career pathways and strict criteria for interview and promotion within clinical roles in the NHS appears to largely remove many of the reasons for intra-organisational politics. After a career in the private sector, it has been refreshing and makes up for not being provided with free hot beverages a thousand times over!

Cons

Facilities are minimal and there is little reward beyond personal growth and satisfaction for the difficult jobs people do. There are no Christmas bonuses and there are no opportunities to jump pay bands within a job title. In short, the pay is pretty poor considering how hard people work and how educated they are. I would love to see how many people in the private sector would begrudge NHS staff their pension if they spent just one day doing some of the jobs we do. Yet, that one bonus, that one reward for often thankless work is disappearing too. To save money, our particular trust is trying to consolidate its property portfolio which means there is less and less space available for people to work. As a result, our building is full beyond capacity such that I haven't even been allocated a permanent desk in the 9 months I have been in my current role and all my stuff is in a cardboard box. In summary, the pay is rubbish and the office facilities are awful.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to save money by cutting frontline staff who do the jobs that patients need the NHS to do, look at efficiency savings. For example, it takes between 5 and 40 minutes for us to log into our computers in the morning. That's the amount of time it takes to write case notes, read a patients history or almost a whole therapy session, yet we are stuck staring at a computer screen paralysed because almost everything is computerised these days. The NHS is a complicated animal and deciding where to make cost savings is incredibly difficult, but cutting front line staff should be the last option, not the first. Especially in the face or substandard IT systems.