South Moon Under Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Michael Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The management and sales associates created a positive and supportive work environment (in 5 reviews)

• Cute clothes and accessories, room to improve with sales experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectations are high for low pay (in 5 reviews)

• high sales goals with no incentive (in 5 reviews)

1. "South Moon"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at South Moon Under part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, great sales training.

Cons

Corporate is going through transition, which provides complications and confusion for staff in the stores. Also, managers and associates are relatively under compensated pay-wise for what is expected of us to do.

2. "Fun atmosphere to work in"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at South Moon Under part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, everyone works together and is very nice. Customers are nice to work with and enjoy your help with suggesting merchandise.

Cons

Does not pay well. Reviews are once a year and maybe gets .25 raise. The assistant store managers do just as much as the store manager but the pay is significantly lower. Employee discount extremely low for how expensive the merchandise is.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales associates more and offer commissions or bonuses when goals are met. Also the discount for employees is terrible. Give us more so we can afford to buy the products.

3. "Seasonal Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Reston, VA

I have been working at South Moon Under part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management and sales associates created a positive and supportive work environment. The merchandise was beautiful, and often the employee discount was further raised upon meeting sales goals. This job allows you to work one-on-one with customers to personally style looks and build relationships. The job requires high energy and dedication. The store sometimes hosts events which I would love to see even more of!

Cons

I do not believe there were enough incentives to associates in working for non-comission pay. The systems in the store were quite old but I believe they are scheduled to be replaced, or potentially have already been changed.

Advice to Management

Do more to motivate employees and create exciting opportunities for sales sfaff.

"Sub par - management didn't seem to care much for their employees, but more about money and sales goals."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Reston, VA

I worked at South Moon Under part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, young atmosphere
    Discount on clothes and accessories
    Good location
    Decent hours
    Cute, trendy merchandise
    Ability to choose schedule to certain extent

Cons

Lackluster management
    Way too steep sales goals
    No commission
    Low pay
    Unorganized structure
    Employees don't get enough credit for hard work

Advice to Management

Look after your employees more rather than trying to make as much money as possible at the expense of your employees' happiness

"Underpaid + overworked. Treated as disposable objects instead of valued employees"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great sales associates on staff

Cons

too many to count..... management doesn't care or value the sales staff.

6. "Wonderful Employer"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Marlton, NJ

Pros

Great pay for the job description, %40 discount,

Cons

not many come to mind, other than there not being many locations. They're only 24 stores

Advice to Management

As a manager myself I'd say just have more associates to cover shifts

7. "accounting assistant"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Berlin, MD
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Berlin, MD

I have been working at South Moon Under full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a great family oriented company, so wonderful to work with many people over the years I have been here, I would consider them my family.

Cons

the HQ is relocating and it's out of the area.

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, MD

I have been working at South Moon Under full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Now is the chance to get in to a great company and be a part of exciting growth. Yes, work has gotten much more demanding but the new systems and leadership are making so many positive changes that in time will make work seamless. Management has a lot on their plates right now but there will be lots of opportunities for internal promotions and new hires. The people who work here LOVE what they do, and it is so obvious if you take a second to ask anyone about what their favorite project they are working on is.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. You must be able to think on your toes and know how to captivate everyone's attention in a meeting. If you are motivated, focused, and eager to learn then you will do fine. If you are complacent and not an outside-the-box thinker, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

More transparency with new positions opening up

9. "Good atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Employees close like family. Very good customer base. There are lots of games to motivate you.

Cons

Expectations are high for low pay.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Shrewsbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Shrewsbury, NJ

I have been working at South Moon Under full-time

Pros

Feels like a family. District managers and corporate office employees know your name. Keep it fun and comfortable for all staff. Great philosophies, vision and mission. Laid back and chill vibes. Sales aren't pushy and we don't work off commission. Value honesty and each other's opinions.

Cons

It's still privately owned and still a small company. They are still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work. Which to me isn't a bad thing. I like the learning process and seeing te company grow and develop. All stores do not do the same thing nor train the same way. Needs more home office employees, district managers, visual staff. As a store manager you're expected to do everything, run the floor, recruiting interviewing hiring training all staff, schedules, payroll, ordering supplies, planning your own events, etc. it gets tiring and hard to do everything and be on the floor helping customers and coaching staff all at the same time.

Advice to Management

need a store training staff. Need to streamline operational processes like markdowns. There needs to be more visual staff so they can come to stores more often and help out.