South Shore Mental Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Harry Shulman

"Over all experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, Marina Bay in Quincy. Love the people I work with, the innovation of programs. Management truly cares about all clients and their families.

Cons

Non-existent raises. Bonuses are nice but just don't cut it!

Advice to Management

Take a look at the employees who go above and beyond and reward them with pay increases. It goes a long way!

"Minimal room for advancement, favoritism."

Former Employee - Caseworker in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Caseworker in Quincy, MA

I worked at South Shore Mental Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunity. Ability to work with a diverse client population. Looks good on a resume, and helps you get to the next place you want to go, but that next place needs to be at another company. Multiple trainings which can be helpful.

Cons

A) the building is disgusting. It is depressing, outdated, and dirty. Being a building that houses mental health treatment, it shouldn't be so dim and depressing.
    B)The pay is not at all competitive, no raises within the 3 years working there, other than a cost of living raise due to the government giving more money to the mental health fund. Received a bonus 1x but this was small and taxed heavily.
    C) Management is all very interconnected, they all hang out socially outside of work, and are clicky when in work, there is really no one to discuss issues with other employees or management with as all of this information is not held confident, and is discussed over beers at the bar later that night.
    D)The work environment is hellish. When I was working in one of the departments, the heat wouldn't work in the winter, temperatures would drop as low as 58 degrees, and was told to dress warmer, and it could be worse, I could be outside plowing/shoveling. They also tried to state that we cannot feel the heat coming out of the vents and perceive it to be cold because our body temperatures are 98 degrees but the heat is 70, therefore it will feel cooler... There were 11 of us crammed in one office that used to be the "library" when it was a mental hospital. All sharing a counter space make shifted into desks. Oh, and in the summer, it reached temperatures of 98 on a regular basis, the people would sit in their cars to make client phone calls. Picture 11 women, all sitting in one small room on a 98 degree day, with poor management and supervision, it wasn't pretty.
    E) Favoritism plays a large role in how easy or difficult your job is going to be. It is rather obvious who is well liked, and who spoke out too much. People who are favored are allowed to call out more often, not pick up shifts, and pick which cases they will and will not see in many different departments. If management likes you, you will enjoy your time at SSMH, if they don't, they will make it very difficult for you.
    F) Crazy hours. As a Caseworker the hours can range from 8-4 or 1 PM to 9 PM, this was difficult to adjust to as you work one shift one day and might have worked the other the next day, often shifts would be longer to meet client needs, and if something came up at 8PM, you could be stuck there until 10 PM, and have to be back in the office the next day at 8am.
    G) Its never fully staffed, ever. It is a revolving door for employees, especially at their location on Quincy Ave.

Advice to Management

Have professional relationships with each other and with your staff, make everything fair and level. Try to secure more funds for staff outings and retreats to help staff bond. Try to lease new space to better accommodate for programs and staff and clients.

"Does Not Invest in Employees' Advancements"

Former Employee - IHT Therapist in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - IHT Therapist in Quincy, MA

Pros

Many diverse clients with whom to work.

Cons

This company does not invest in its employees. It was a 'dead-end' career for me with no place or opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Actively seek out in-house employees for promotions.

5. "lpn"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Quincy, MA

Pros

great learning opportunity, great team work, friendly and great and accommodating hours

Cons

small career advancement, little chance to grow

"Increasingly dissatisfied"

Current Employee - Clinical Social Work in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Social Work in Quincy, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a range of clients with major mental illness - a significant personal/professional growth experience.

Cons

Poor pay. As Fee for Service clinicians some of your work day will be uncompensated due to high no show rate, significant paperwork expectations and need for collateral contact. Morale in the program in which I work is very low leading to a sense of isolation, lack of support from colleagues. Program management is lax at best. Very little support for clinicians in a high stress environment. Little confidence in program management because of the perceived lack of investment in clinicians, sense that favoritism exists. No raise in FFS rate in 19 years!

Advice to Management

After many years working for SSMH I have seen morale decline significantly. I know that this is not true in all programs. Please provide supervision to your program managers to foster positive relationships with their staff. Otherwise the dissatisfaction and high turnover rate will continue. If SSMH wants employees to be loyal to the agency then the agency needs to value the work we do. You cannot expect staff to function with low pay, no increase in reimbursement and in a climate that often communicates disrespect/disregard.

"South Shore Mental Health"

Current Employee - Residential Rehabilitation Coordinator in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Rehabilitation Coordinator in Quincy, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

high school graduate entry level experience

Cons

Low salary, poor management, unorganized,

Advice to Management

Listen to and respect your staff.

8. "Excellent Employer"

Current Employee - Clinician in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Quincy, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training and supervision provided, diverse environment, employee-friendly

Cons

Limited opportunities due to space constraints

"Great job, Not the greatest pay"

Current Employee - Rehab Educator in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Rehab Educator in Quincy, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with great people, and get to look forward to helping clients on a daily basis whether it to be something simple, or something as difficult as helping them through emotional difficulty. The company has allowed me to be very independent in my role, and there is a great amount of flexibility.

Cons

The pay at South Shore mental health isn't the greatest, and they require you to own a car.

10. "Great experience and positive supportive environment"

Current Employee - Fee-for-service Clinician in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Fee-for-service Clinician in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at South Shore Mental Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervision is great. This is a building base for those that want to get into private practice, as you experience a variety of clients and good feedback from friendly co-workers. It's also hard to get fired or let go. The higher-ups tend to be forgiving and let the clinician work things out with complaining clients. I would say the ethics and values are solid.

Cons

No vacation days, paid time off, no raises, low pay, client no-shows, inconsistent caseloads, and long hours. A lot of paperwork.

Advice to Management

The management gets all the money while the workers slave their way. While management is helpful in a lot of ways, it would be nicer to help employees that struggle with their pay and give them better benefits.

"Good Experience"

I worked at South Shore Mental Health full-time

Pros

Has many different branches for employment; working as a therapist, I found the work engaging and enjoyed my clients.

Cons

It can be taxing and they take a large share of your earnings. You do drive your hours, so the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

Advice to Management

Continue to support staff and perhaps increase hourly base to ensure that people do not leave for private practice!