South State Reviews | Glassdoor

South State Reviews

Updated 22 Oct 2019

2.9
South State CEO Robert R. Hill, Jr.  (no image)
Robert R. Hill, Jr.
Pros
  • "Great people to work with and good benefits(in 4 reviews)

• "If you want to get comfy in a job and have it for the rest of your life, this is a great place(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Trying to keep up with technology of big banks but lack(in 4 reviews)

• "Nepotism across the board,no room for growth(in 3 reviews)

1. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at South State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

South State Bank has consistently won awards for one of the Best Places to Work in SC. Great pay and benefits, wonderful people, work/life balance and community involvement.

Cons

Lack of technology, but it is being addressed.

South State2018-09-27

"Disappointing Experience"

Former Employee - Compliance in Columbia, SC

I worked at South State full-time for more than a year

Pros

Central location, flexibility, nice coworkers

Cons

I would not recommend working at South State Bank. Petty squabbles and childish disagreements are rampant in the Compliance Department. There is no longer a sense of teamwork in the office. There is a growing culture of micro-management and general unhappiness throughout the office and nothing is being done from the top to resolve the issues. My supervisor was an extremely unpleasant, paranoid megalomaniac, lacking... in basic social skills. The personality disorders and control issues made for an extremely hostile work environment. After trying to bring some of these issue to light, said manager spent her days trying to build a case against me and used her connections in HR to railroad me out of the position. Further, the way that HR matters are handled at South State is a joke and of questionable legality. I would not even recommend banking here much less working here. Many employees refuse to open South State accounts and for good reason.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand, stand up for your employees, listen to what they are saying, work on improving employee morale, and learn to listen to both sides of an issue.

South State2019-10-22

"Wishful Thinking"

Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at South State full-time for more than a year

Pros

High hope for my job here. Sadly it was short lived, due to the shut down of 13+ branch shut downs. They talk about growth but it’s seems all smoke in mirrors. They are headed towards a more “big bank corporate feel” and are for getting what really matters, their employees. They aren’t even offering to place the employees effected by the shut downs. You have to apply and interview for any open positions even if... you’ve been with the bank 20+ years.

Cons

Vacation time is so so More worried about big corporate than their people Systems are way out of date and lag and go down a lot

Advice to Management

WORRY ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!

South State2019-03-18

"South State Bank used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at South State full-time for more than a year

Pros

Standard bank hours, decent benefits, decent pay if you negotiate your starting pay (don’t take the first offer or you’ll be at a lower pay the entire time you work there)

Cons

Discrimination, unfair practices, low incentives, company does not care about your career goals, frequent favoritism, promotions not based on performance. The leadership plans your career without including you in the decisions.

Advice to Management

The company needs to allow employees to have some say in their careers. Be fair to all employees. Treat all employees as equals. Do not play favoritism .

South State2019-04-08
  5. "Fine bank for the size and market"

Former Employee - Teller in Seneca, SC

I worked at South State full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong market position in South Carolina with friendly and accessibile management.

Cons

Caught in awkward growth stage, to big to be local and to small to offer nationwide benefits.

South State2019-02-07

"Progress at A Snail's Pace"

I worked at South State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• If you want to get comfy in a job and have it for the rest of your life, this is a great place. With numerous people in positions for 15+ years, it's a steady environment for a person who wants to come in, get stuff done, and leave at 5. • This bank has also been on the acquiring-side for years. • Many teams act like a family, not all, but many.

Cons

• Because people are so comfortable, there is little-to-no desire for progress. • Technology is years behind (some of which they've lately been trying to update). • There are so many levels of approval for every team that it takes an absurd amount of time to get anything done in any department. • There was little opportunity for career advancement due to people in positions for long periods of time. • No... holiday bonuses, but you do receive an annual cost of living increase. Higher paid employees normally receive bonuses after mergers. Major raises were only if you were promoted or if you found out you were seriously underpaid compared to your team.

South State2019-01-27
  7. "Good Branch Mgmt"

Teller in Charleston, SC

I worked at South State for more than a year

Pros

Worked as a roving teller before settling at a branch for a year. Enjoyed working under each branch manager that I was at (over 10 locations in Charleston area).

Cons

Senior management seems aloof from actual branch happenings, poor training on some aspects of job

Advice to Management

Are you a big bank or a friendly local bank? neither

South State2019-01-22

"My Experience in Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources Support Specialist in Charleston, SC

I worked at South State full-time for less than a year

Pros

South State really is a company to work for if you are a working mom. My experience here as a working mom surpasses any experience I've had at any other company. The work life balance is there along with the flexible scheduling. My manager was one of the best. She was communicative, supportive, understanding and really cared about my growth on a personal/professional level during my time at South State Bank.... The culture at South State has yet to be defined, but I believe that they are a family oriented company that tries their best to care for and about their employees. This is one of the things I will miss best about working at South Sate.

Cons

I do not believe my salary aligned with my skills and experience in my career. I took the job with an understanding that I would get a raise in the 4th Quarter as stated with my Recruiter, but that did not happen. Even after a conversation with my manager about it. This was extremely disappointing. Also, I do feel the work in my position was more for someone that entry-level, not entry-mid level. I do believe there... is favoritism within the company when it comes to promotions, raises, and just random increases as well within certain departments. It was hard working in a department where you are so detached from employees. I understand that not all HR departments get the chance to work with their employees face to face on a daily basis, but because I was assisting HR and not our actual employees, it made the experience that much harder for me. I felt that I was more so waiting on work to assist my team than actually making a true impact on the company. I do not see anything wrong with that for someone that is just in the field, I just feel I could have been doing more and did not really understand the position at the time of interviewing. Benefits are beyond expensive and the coverage is not great.

Advice to Management

I think it's great to be on a path to define the company culture. In my personal situation, I think that sticking to your word/conversations regarding pay/increases is also important.

South State2019-01-04

"Anonymous"

I worked at South State full-time

Pros

Great working hours,convenient location,food trucks.

Cons

Nepotism across the board,no room for growth.

South State2018-12-27

"Loan Operations"

I have been working at South State full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and good benefits.

Cons

Pay is low and raises do not keep up with cost of living increases. Also, platform is not user friendly.

South State2018-09-20