SouthLaw, P.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Kristen G. Stroehmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It is what YOU make of it..."

I have been working at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time

Pros

I like my job. I don't hate coming to work every day. I work with people who are a productive team. If you do your job and are a responsible adult, you are not micromanaged. Yes there are normal workplace hassles, but that is to be expected at any job.

Cons

Meeting client needs, requests and expectations can be stressful, however this is nothing out of the ordinary compared to any other law firm. It's the nature of the beast.

There are several pockets of negative employees, but again, this is true at any job. I find that if you steer clear of these groups, day to day work life is much easier.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core group of employees and attorneys that has been at South for the last five plus years. Specifically the ones with positive attitudes. They are your investment. They want to be here. You have the power to see that they stay for the next 10, 15 or 20 years.

2. "Literally the worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Overland Park, KS

I worked at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some incredible coworkers that I still communicate with. Company parties were fun.

Cons

The PTO was very limited. There was NO sick time. You were expected to do a lot of work for little pay. Very high turnover. Promotion of individuals based on the management liking them and not experience or education. Attorneys and management created a hostile work environment. Diversity was very sparse.

Advice to Management

Don't overload your employees with work. Work on attitudes. Employees should feel comfortable with coming to you with concerns or questions.

SouthLaw, P.C. Response

Jul 19, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We wish you would have felt more comfortable coming forward while you were still with us to share your concerns. We would have been able to address them as they... More

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal

I have been working at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time

Pros

-One of the great things about SouthLaw is their willingness to hire employees with little to no legal experience. Which was great for me coming right out of college.
    -Fast-paced.
    -South has an activities committee led by HR, and they provide some great events throughout the year that help keep a good environment.
    -Flexible hours

Cons

Salaries and benefits are lacking.
    The training is hit or miss, mostly miss. My department taught me how to do my job, but not the why behind it and how it ties into the bigger picture.

4. "Paralegal"

Current Employee - Litigation in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Litigation in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual environment and a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Employees from the top down including attorneys are uncouth, very unprofessional, immature, and have horrible language. Small office. High school behavior for years.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be everyone's friend and talking about everyone behind their back. Act professional for a change.

5. "If you like doing the same thing over and over again, this job is for you"

I have been working at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a paycheck every 2 weeks

Cons

There are strong personalities that control the managers.
    Vacation policy is awful.

Advice to Management

Do not let your employees run the show. You have to have the vision and desire to walk it out.

6. "Legal Assistant"

Pros

Overall, a company that considers the well being of their employees.

Cons

Depending on your preference, this is a small size firm.

7. "Good vs Bad"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Overland Park, KS

I worked at SouthLaw, P.C. (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great, I was able to make 1 or 2 really great friends in a short period of time. The company throws lots of little parties and employee appreciation days which are great. The environment is laid back, casual dress, and most people are pretty laid back as well. I was able to negotiate a 2 dollar raise within 90 days based on my work ethic and output, which makes me feel as if I would be able to continue doing so as long as I worked hard. I miss my desk mate, again, it was easy to make friends.

Cons

oh boy.
    1. Immature management. (please note, the attorneys I worked for were actually great, one imparticular) but my direct supervisor was clearly green in their role. They would pretend to be your "friend" and gain your trust, just to talk trash about you behind your back. My supervisor was the BIGGEST DRAMA INSTIGATOR of the bunch. You would assume the supervisor would put an immediate stop to this type of behavior and be professional, but this was not the case as they were the one who started most of the drama. I walked in on them twice where I can firmly say that I heard them and employees of lower pay grades were talking and gossiping about me. I was this person's friend until that, I then realized they were too immature to be in charge and too fake to be a friend, so I cut it off. The supervisor took it upon themselves to talk trash about EVERY SINGLE LOWER LEVEL employee within our department to everyone else. So if you were the one sitting with them, they would complain about someone else, but if you left you were the gossip target. This supervisor took it so far as to say she was purposefully going to get a new hire fired and make her life a living hell as soon as she started. She said this to all the lower level employees whom the new hire would be working right beside! Insane. I have never encountered someone so immature in a position of authority.

Pay. If you look at other jobs of equal responsibility in the area, you can find jobs hiring in at 5 - 10 dollars more an hour than SouthLaw. I was able to negotiate to a higher rate by going up the chain but even with my raise I was making less than what a large amount of other companies were paying people I knew for the same work.

NO TRAINING. At least in my department. I am completely okay with a sink or swim environment, however, there should be some sort of training or at least something to reference to learn the job. They literally had me sit behind the aforementioned supervisor for 2 days and then said "go." Again, I'm alright with this type of work, however, it became evident in a short period of time that the lack of training MAJORLY slowed down our department and cause turnover. One poor girl who had been there a total of 5 months had a ridiculous amount of work from when all the others left and because the supervisor refused to help her and or train the new people coming in on how to do their job.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Understand your position isn't about making friends or being popular and be the authority figure.
    Train your employees on how to properly do their jobs, its YOUR JOB to train. Literally. If you are not willing to take the time to train, you cannot disrespect those you left to the wolves when they mess up or don't understand what they are doing.
    Pay more. This company is paying, on average, 4 dollars less an hour than all the surrounding law firms do for the same work.

More times than not, employees quit the management, not necessarily the job.
    Be hands on leaders, train and pay more. c'mon guys.

8. "Terrible AND they JUST lost a bunch of clients/ referrals!! Losing $$"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at SouthLaw, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office Olympics are for one month a year but fun. Casual environment. That's it.

Cons

Very High school. Attorneys throwing VERY real temper tantrums as well as support staff. Very unprofessional environment. Racial discrimination and weight discrimination. Talk down on you and no matter how professionally you handle things, it gets worse. VERY poor training and TERRIBLE pay for so much work. ($26,000ish) for someone with experience and judges for references!! HR is no help because they are part of the problem. People bring personal problems to work and retaliate when you keep YOUR personal life private. Was asked very racial questions like I speak for my whole race and as if my whole race is a problem.

Advice to Management

Start over

9. "Bad experience"

Pros

No real Pros that I can think of

Cons

Not a good place to build a career. Just a stepping stone.

10. "Bad enviroment"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Nothing to say here.......... Not any pros. Didn't like the enviroment from day one. Was like high school drama all over

Cons

Worked here little over a month and it was terrible. I was constantly yelled at with little to to training. I wasn't even yelled at by management, it was former employees.

Advice to Management

Hire new trainers.