Southco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Brian M. McNeill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Tuition assistance, great training, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Quality awareness, good people to work with, teamwork among employees, good training (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management team not open to ideas that may threaten their position - too many politics (in 3 reviews)

• No one wants to push a ton of work on one person so they hold back stuff you can do (in 3 reviews)

1. "The Good, Bad and the Ugly"

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Elmwood Park, IL
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Elmwood Park, IL

I worked at Southco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work environment. The culture has a long history of treating employees well. The success the company has achieved over the years has generated wealth and accomplishment among employees. They rely on "A" players to perform in the best interest of the company in spite of self imposed obstacles.

Cons

Unfortunately success has bred complacency and market arrogance. Management has stagnated and top management has moved away from the core business that made the company what it is. They have succumbed to "acquisition fever" and left the employees frustrated with a lack of accountability. This has resulted in lowering the bar for achievement. Managing up has become more important than serving the customer.

Advice to Management

Recognize that stagnation is a result of shuffling the same bozos around the management table.

2. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, PA

I worked at Southco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I THOUGHT THAT THERE WAS SOME PROS- BUT AFTER WORKING THERE SO HARD I WAS LET GO FOR NO REASON-PEOPLE BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY IT'S AN UPPER SCALE SWEAT SHOP-THEY WILL GET RID OF YOU IN A SECOND NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS YOU WORKED THERE.

Cons

I have been working here for over a year and half full time, This place is an upper scale sweat shop, i met a lot of good people, but only one think comes to there mind (it's a job) they all hate it there , the morale is atrocious.
    The management team which i know quite well is the worst i have ever encountered, they bully you to the end, i worked so very hard at this place and at the end they let me go for what reason i have no idea. i am still stunned that the fact that i did so much for this company and and in in the end i got send home?
    )ANYONE WHO IS LISTENING DO NOT WORK THERE IT'S A SWEATSHOP) I Haven't met one happy person in that facility, people only work there because the fact they need money just like the rest of us.Now to HR they are the worst backstabbing people i have ever met, beware people they will get you or someone else will report you meaning (SNITCH) on you. Most people there will backstab you so they can get ahead , i am not just saying that i worked my butt off and in return i was let go. The way i experienced it was you have to be totally oblivious to everything, if you work hard you are a fool just like i was, they don't care who works hard or who doesn't as long as the work is being done. They have a favoritism towards the Colored people because for some reason they think there going to get sued, believe me people when i say they can do what ever they want, if i did anything i was always made sure i was talked to like i was worthless.
    I am still in total shock that they let me go after putting my hearts ans soul, working hard every day and it was over, The managers could not give a damn what you do or how hard you work, as long as they get there paycheck that is all that matters to them, with all the fake smiles, half the time they don't even say hi to you, the worst experience of my life. I can name quite a few people from managers to employees that are a disgrace to the human race.
    who ever reads this don't think well this guy doesn't know what his talking about, listen all my life i have worked very hard, my work ethics are amazing compare to some of these bums that work there and don't want to do anything besides talk all day long, and get away with it.
    I just want to thank everyone for reading this, as God my witness I would not lie to you.
    If you want to reach me: contact me i'll be more then happy to talk to you!

Advice to Management

To most managers in this company all i have to say is shame on you, look at the people who really work hard and acknowledge them, not the bums that don't do anything and get away wit everything. You need to clean house from managers stand point to the some of the worst employees, let's not forget HR the 2 back stabbing women that don't give a damn about the hard working people, your all a disgrace to this company, and in my opinion should be an overhaul to get rid of them all.

3. "Yes man culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concordville, PA

I have been working at Southco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck every two weeks. Nobody really bothers me as long as I'm getting my work done. I can listen to my radio as I work.

Cons

Every time One makes a mistake, One can expect to hear about it from three to five different people. You can do an excellent job day after day after day, and never hear a word of thanks or appreciation. If You're a yes man, You will thrive here without making any real contribution whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Stop eating up all the butt kissing, and show a little respect towards the people that make a real contribution to production goals. Get rid of the consulting firm that You pay to keep Your pay scale average. Pay those that get You paid.

4. "A Great Place to Work"

Pros

Employee focused employer with a bright future.

Cons

Benefits have dwindled over the last 15 yrs.

5. "Sales"

Pros

- Good team
    - Friendly environment
    - alot of opportunities for growth

Cons

- Team is stretched very lean

6. "Engineering Company's Internship Opportunity"

Former Employee - Automotive Engineering Co-op in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Automotive Engineering Co-op in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Southco (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands On
    Family like environment
    Good first Intership for undergraduate students.
    Various opportunities.

Cons

Long travel depending on where you are

7. "Solid Company with solid management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concordville, PA

I worked at Southco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As far as big companies go, Southco does a reasonable job of getting individual employees involved and creating career paths for personal development. They focus on putting the customer's needs first.

Cons

There were a handful of very poor managers at the mid-level. Most of the executive team seemed like A-players, but those handful of bad mid-level managers were allowed to pollute the environment unchecked for far too long.

Advice to Management

To executive managers... keep closer tabs on your directs. Make sure they are identifying the right talent and that they are utilizing their resources appropriately

8. "Manufacturing Engineer Intern"

Pros

Lots of opportunity to gain experience in different departments and different areas of engineering

Cons

Small number of interns to talk with or hangout with outside of work

"High School for "adults""

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Concordville, PA

Pros

Decent hourly wage.
    Promotions are readily available if you know how to suck up to the right person.
    Assembly is the only decent part of the building to work in. (lots of AC)

Cons

disorganized, non-caring management.
    Temperature conditions are extremely hot & horrendous.
    Very poor safety concerns on the production floor. (Lots of dangerous hazards)
    Promotes employees based off of favoritism & not skill level.

Advice to Management

Just fire yourself and find a new job.

"Racist Job Site"

Pros

NO PROS ABOUT WORKING HERE

Cons

They discriminate against the minorities here at southco, you WILL be fired for the smallest mistake and it does not matter if it is not even your mistake. I was fired from Southco as a result of a machine breaking BEFORE I even got to work, I notified mgmt the machine was not working and they were aware of this at the beg of my shift, no one mentioned or even asked did I break the machine, I get a call after my shift saying I was let go for poor performance I had never been addressed about the "poor performance" issue and was given no warning before termination. It is obvious racism in the factory, I will be reporting this company to BBB. I advised anyone who really needs a job and one that will work with you to NEVER work at this company you will be wasting your time, gas find an employer who is legit with termination laws, this should be rated the worst place to work!

Advice to Management

Start hiring more minority upper mgmt and stop using racist employers who do not even speak to the employees in the morning, do a better job with racism in the workplace! I will be reporting you to BBB if you care you will make this change!