Southeast Alabama Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ronald S. Owen

1. "Level 2 Trauma Center"

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with. They offer an additional $1/HR for RNs working in the ED. You get to see quite a bit of "true emergencies" being that it's THE trauma center for the tri-state area.

Cons

4:1 ratio is a bit intense at times. They just began a "pull until full" method that requires you to triage your pts when they get to the room which can be extremely overwhelming when you have multiple new pts at once.

2. "Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The physicians and staff are the best anyone could ask to work with.

Cons

Everyone tries to do their best.

"Unsafe work environment"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dothan, AL

Pros

The health insurance is affordable for single or family coverage. The hospital raised its minimum wage from $7.25 to $8/hr.

Cons

Work environments are not always safe for the patients or staff.

The management is terrible. They are authoritarians and write you up for being insubordinate if you voice your opinion.

They call the staff off and send staff home early even when the census and acuity is high.

The hospital is filthy and in need of repair.

Patient care is horrendous. The nurses took over 90 minutes to bring me pain medication every time I asked some (following a laparoscopic cholecystectomy) and the only time I ever saw a nurse was when they finally brought the pain medication in. I also hear staff bad-mouthing patients all through out the hospital.

The overall morale is despicable. Employees are miserable in every department of the hospital.

The hospital is trying to cut $30-million from its budget. Staffing is being flexed off in order to pinch pennies, bed spreads are no longer being used because they cost more to launder.

They're more concerned with money than they are with quality patient care, patient/staff safety, and patient/staff satisfaction.

RNs are underpaid.

On the 3-11 shift, there are 3 nurses, a secretary, and 4 techs on my floor looking for different jobs with different organizations.

Apply at your own risk!

Advice to Management

None. Expressing your opinions or ideas is a waste of time as it falls on deaf ears.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, managers (most) care about their employees, decent benefits

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, nurse staffing issues, lack of appreciation for long-term employees

6. "Great place to learn"

Pros

Awesome learning environment. Better experience than I expected.

Cons

The productivity is a bit overwhelming. Curious about the changes occurring.

"Less Is Not Better, Especially When It Comes To Customer Service"

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent (recent addition of high-deductible plan that no one really understands, but allegedly, you still only have to pay $500 of it?????), and vacation is decent.

Cons

*Pay is exceptionally low and my department struggles with getting good candidates because of low wages and holding on to the good candidates we've got.
    *Terribly under-staffed (by 6 - 8 people) causing a high level of stress and poor work performance by those who would otherwise be exceptional.
    *Administration relies on the Directors to communicate about the departments. Others in the departments can probably provide ideas and possibilities for the job they do everyday.

Advice to Management

*Review your base pays as a whole. Just because you are meeting the federal minimum wage requirement, doesn't necessarily mean its the moral thing to do.
    *Do away with productivity. I wasn't around when this method of FTE tracking was implemented, however, what I do know is that you can't compare one department of a hospital with the same department of another hospital without comparing ALL aspects, including workflow process. There are MANY reasons that one hospital may be able to the same job with less people and unless all of those elements are compared, you can't expect the same results with the same number of people. Also, being properly staffed, or God forbid slightly over-staffed, would result in providing better customer service, which result in more revenue. Instead of just talking about being better than "our friends on the other side of town", let's actually BE better than them.
    *We recently participated in employee engagement surveys. I truly hope that the administrative team reads those and acts on them.

"Rn"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Anderson, SC

I worked at Southeast Alabama Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent physicians. The older staff that have been there for many years.

Cons

Insurance. Management. Administration. Nurse to patient ratio. Patient acuity overlooked when staffing. "Dictatorship" administration. PAY is TERRIBLE!

Advice to Management

Quit trying to "look" like you care Amd start caring about your staff.
    Insurance rates for employees is extremely too high. You can have your own BCBS and pay less.
    And the rates are going UP!
    No raises. No bonuses.
    You are a "number" as an employee. Not a face or na,e
    I worked there for many years before leaving. It sadly became "big business" attitude There was a time administration knew who individuals were Stopped and talked. Actually knew the employees. It was like a family. Even if you were in street clothes and off the clock
    Now, even if you have a uniform on, not even a smile or hello. Like I said, you are a number. And replaceable. You are criticized too frequently and acknowledged very rare.
    Pay, they should be ashamed of providing to staff
    Employed over 20 years and left making only $25 an hour
    With certifications. ACLS. Etc.
    insurance again - sub standard. If your spouse is offered insurance with their employer you are NOT allowed to carry them on yours there! So. Another reason I left. Before you could carry them. And it was helpful. We ended up paying an increase in MY insurance there, which happened often, and over $800 a month for my spouse because of the change.
    And forget about cost of living adjustments. Unheard of
    And administration constantly would say in "60 minute" sessions we attended they "were tired of hearing about how it used to be". In other words -they are tired of hearing how happy you were before they changed everything so get over it. And yes a specific administrator DID say "I am tired of hearing of how it used to be, things change" in one of the sessions. And HE is still employed there.
    I do not advise working there.

9. "Employment"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benifits and great jobs for new nurses. If you can work here, you can work anywhere.

Cons

High turnover and limited advancement opportunities for minorities and extremely hard to transfer to different departments.

Advice to Management

Do away with the majority and start over.

"LPN"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

Pros

a paycheck. Good dental and vision insurance but medical is not what it should be when you are working in the medical field and taking care of sick people. staff should not have to pay a deductible and the hospital should pay for the employees insurance like they once did years ago.

Cons

No accountability due to poor staffing so nursing care for patients is substandard. No incentives for employess other than a cheap Sammy award trophy, no longer have Christmas bonus like they once did due to all the expansion the hospital has done so the employees ended up getting their yearly raises and bonus cut to pay for all the new construction. wages the lowest in the usa for nurses. Experienced nurses are overlooked for the younger fresh grads they can get to work for starting wages versus a seasoned nurse that has over 20 years experience. pay is almost the same for one with over 10 years experience as a starting nurse...LPNs are treated like they are unimportant and a glorified nurses aid. no sign on bonuses offered like. RNs are yet they are expected to do almost same amount of work for way less pay and incentitives. complaints filed with managers are of no use because nothing will change. nurses are overworked due to turn over in staffing, its a vicious cycle. more work added on nurses with the start of a new computer software program but no additional pay for LPNs. Rns receive any increased wages.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff and stop putting all your money into keeping up with Jones's...happier employees are more productive and better employees. monitary cash incentives are more valuable than a donation made to fund a building fund in the employee's name...Reward your good employess and get rid of the bad ones, leave politics out of patient care by hiring fairly based on experience and not on age of employee and cheapest pay you can hire nurses for.

"surgical tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Southeast Alabama Medical Center (Less than a year)

Pros

very clean hosiptal very caring to the patient and family member

Cons

pay rate very low for the cenus

Advice to Management

visit unit more