Southeastern Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Southeastern Institute President Kristopher T. Loretz
Kristopher T. Loretz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Adjunct Medical Billing and Coding Instructor"

I worked at Southeastern Institute part-time

Pros

Great Work Environment, Staff and Students are always a pleasure

Cons

There were no cons, great place to work

2. "Excellent"

I have been working at Southeastern Institute full-time

Pros

The staff is awesome 😄

Cons

I don't have any cons

3. "Admissions Coordinator"

Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Admissions Coordinator in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Southeastern Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed meeting new potential students.

Cons

Company is not upfront with students or staff concerning entry fees. Management a big problem. Not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on your staff and students.

4. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Instructor in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Southeastern Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I wish there were 20 words to add to the pros but the actual act of teaching was the only redeeming part about this job.

Cons

Admitting students who aren't motivated and keeping them enrolled when it's clear they don't want to attend thus charging them tuition, micromanaged, often persuaded to falsify documents, ZERO SUPPORT FROM MANAGEMENT, nepotism, favoritism, management going through your personal items and computer, recording private conversations, multiple mandatory meaningless meetings PER WEEK after instructional hours, the list goes on!

Advice to Management

TRANSPARENCY!

Hire qualified Deans, Admissions and Campus VP/ Presidents who are goal-oriented and hold themselves to high ethical standards.

Require that faculty submit performance surveys routinely for management just like students do monthly for faculty.

ATTN DR. KEISER: The coffee chats are effective when faculty are given an opportunity to chat candidly WITHOUT management present WITHOUT fear of retaliation.

5. "Terrible place to work!!!!"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Charlotte, NC

Pros

This place has nothing positive going. The Charlotte campus is by far one of the most ghetto schools I have ever worked at! The management at the Charlotte campus is awful. He's doesn't seem to care much about his employees just results. I was treated poorly by the staff and the management team.

Cons

This school will micromanage every single thing you do!!! Be cautious. I would never advise anyone to work at the Charlotte campus!!! I worked there for 6 months and it was terrible. By far the worst job I've had in my life.

Advice to Management

Please learn HOW to manage effectively. Micromanaging every detail an employee does will not help the employees stay.

"Herding cattle"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Southeastern Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're good- they'll keep throwing money at you if you threaten to leave

Cons

I've read the other reviews and it's very obvious that though these folks have worked here- they learned nothing about the industry they worked in. There's nothing different about southeastern institute when compared to the other for profit schools out there. I worked in the Charlotte admissions department for a very long time and I can assure you that the only concern of an "admissions counselor" from management, is to enroll anyone that is too ignorant to know better. People complain of the quality of leads but fail to understand that southeastern institute markets to the bottom of the barrel intentionally. TV commercials are only aired during mid day TV shows... you know the ones- "who's the father" and "I slept with my baby daddy's daddy" type shows. The majority of web-based leads are generated through job sites, so you're calling people that think they were applying for a job or were too stupid to sign up for the site without realizing they needed to unchecked a box along the way. All the while- you're expected to make anywhere from 100-200 calls a day and though it's against federal regulation, highly unethical, and flat out illegal in terms recruitment guidelines- YOU HAVE TO SIGN AGREEING TO MEET MONTHLY ENROLLMENT GOALS! -then you're held accountable for meeting those goals... which in my most recent years with the company, were based off expected annual sales increases of 33%. What truly legitimate operation would realistically expect even their best sales people to increase sales by 33% in a year? - NO ONE would. In a nut shell, this is a very bad sales job that will in no way help you in future sales or education positions. In fact, it is more than frowned upon by hiring managers that are actually familiar with the industry- but at least most people have no idea that for profit ed is a $20 billion+/yr leach on the American tax payer - one that accounts for approx 13%of American students yet almost 50%of the currently defaulted federal student loans. Save your soul for something better than this joke of an industry... and do some research on the industry if you're still considering a position after reading this- if that doesn't change your mind then maybe you're just scummy enough to enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Do the American public a favor and shut down.

7. "Worst Place to work!"

Current Employee - Instructor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Instructor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Southeastern Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to make a difference in the lives of students aspiring to change their lives or careers. Wonderful, caring co-workers.

Cons

The individuals that are in place running this school have absolutely no idea of how to treat the employees or how to effectively lead a productive team. There is no proper communication with employees concerning anything and new hires don't receive proper training. Management that is supposed to train you on policies and procedures will throw you under the bus immediately in order to not look like the incompetent they are. The students all say that management is rude and unprofessional and have no clue when they need to teach. They continue to pile loads of work on you daily, weekly, monthly and don't want to pay the average salary for your position. They change policies and procedures every other day, don't communicate this to you until after the fact, then wonder why they always have to extinguish fires. They have had so much turn around with employees because of their micromanagement, poor treatment of employees and ridiculous policies and question why the morale is low. They ask you to follow policies in your classroom, but once you do enforce them, they undermine you and allow the students to get their way. Students can not show up for class, cheat on exams and then complain and miraculously still graduate from the program and then the instructor who was trying to enforce their rules are made to look like the bad person. I can honestly say that this is the worst place to work!

Advice to Management

Learn how to be a leader. A manager focuses on systems and structure, a LEADER focuses on PEOPLE. A manager relies on control. A LEADER inspires TRUST. A manager imitates. A LEADER ORIGINATES. A manager does things right. A LEADER DOES THE RIGHT THING!

8. "HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Instructor in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Southeastern Institute (More than a year)

Pros

non really....decent pay but less then other colleges

Cons

POOR MANAGEMENT, horrible owner, liars and cheats

9. "Done"

Current Employee - Lab/Occupational Medicine Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Lab/Occupational Medicine Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Southeastern Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot, grew a lot and my students still consult with me even though Ive been gone for a year

Cons

Done Over it maybe good for someone wasn't the right fit for me

10. "admissions counselor"

I have been working at Southeastern Institute full-time

Pros

It's a small college. There is nothing for students to do.

Cons

a lot of hang up calls when you reach out to individuals who are seeking to further their education.

Advice to Management

Interact on a more personal level and people will be more willing to open up