Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne
Kevin Payne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I like being able to have a great work-life balance while becoming more proficient in the energy sector without having to burnout" (in 104 reviews)

• "great pay and benefits from health insurance to bonuses" (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on the organization, your work-life balance can be completely exhausting" (in 19 reviews)

• "There are "clicks" in which favoritism plays a large role specially with upper management" (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting new company direction"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exciting new company direction/strategy toward a clean energy future
    - Friendly, helpful, and extremely intelligent co-workers
    - New ideas are encouraged and valued
    - Great pay and work/life balance, with opportunities to work on interesting and challenging projects
    - Supportive and welcoming team environment
    - Really puts effort into diversity and inclusion
    - Management cares about their employees' career development

Cons

- Department is a little disorganized, but could be from past layoffs and restructuring
    - Bureaucracy; approvals can take a lifetime (it is a utility after all, though things are getting better)
    - Could use more direction about short-term and long-term work from management
    - Organizations Units can sometimes feel very siloed from each other, but there is definitely an effort to break down walls

2. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great environment

Cons

Slow moving company toward innovation

3. "Great career start!"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career here straight from undergrad and quickly got promoted to a senior business analyst within 2 years. The pay was really generous when I came in but because of my jumping a couple levels, it took a few years for my salary to reach market for my title. I took the time to get a lot of exposure to different organizational units early on in my career - projects, affinity groups, etc., and got a good understanding of the business/found mentors/manager sponsors, which I fully recommend to anyone starting their career here. Benefits and work-life balance (for the most part) were stellar.

Cons

Take my experience with a grain of salt, as I trust I only saw a small part of the big picture: Part of the reason why I left was to get exposure to other industries/business models. I was stagnant in my position and tried feeling out project manager title jobs but got some feedback from the hiring managers that they wouldn't consider my project involvement or project management classes and my senior business analyst title as "project manager experience," even though they liked me. They seemed to promote from within their own group or there was a lateral from elsewhere in the company. Additionally, around the time I left in 2015, there had been a lot of internal reorganization that made the work environment really negative. For the reasons above and other personal ones, I decided to look elsewhere.

4. "Great Career"

Current Employee - Foreman
    Current Employee - Foreman

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

To much work, not enough employees

Advice to Management

Hire more employees

5. "Can be a Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Pomona, CA

Pros

Cash balance Pension, matching 401k, retirement medical allowance. Nice atmosphere

Cons

Newer hires dont get the same benefits. Sometimes a little stressful workload. Lots of offshoring. Not as secure of a job as it used to be. Cost cutting around every corner.

Advice to Management

We have been in a state of reorg for 9 years. The plan keeps becoming a moving target. Figure out the direction and stick to it. Nobody likes the insecurity of possible layoffs every 6 months.

"Good benefits, mediocre culture"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Company is doing interesting things and as a utility has good benefits

Cons

Not that it ever was, but less and less a meritocracy. Promotional decisions based on who you know. Company places more emphasis on diversity and inclusion compared to competency. Company has a bad culture that has caused a lot of quality employees to leave. Limited upward mobility as company downsizes and cost cuts every. single. year.

"Soulless bureaucracy with good pay."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good. They don't expect moch.

Cons

Incredibly mediocre and bureaucratic. If you want to shut off your brain, not work very hard then go home this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

The management is so self absorbed I am certain they wouldn't listen to any advice.

"Controller’s group"

Former Employee - Accounting Professional in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Professional in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Geographic location in San Gabriel Valley where there is abundance of Asian foods at decent prices and minimal commuting time for those who live near the area.
    Decent pay and benefits compared to the rest of the companies in SGV.
    If you are looking for retirement and live relatively close to the area this might not be a bad job for few years.

Cons

Company culture rewards mediocrity. The overall controllers group is largely consisted of folks who worked there for a long time but lacked the competency that you would expect from a Fortune 500 company. In recent years the management had launched various rounds of reorganizations and laid off some employees. They also attempted to attract more competent CPAs from outside, but the company was unable to retain talents as turnover within the newly hired employees were high.
    The company does not offer many opportunities for learning or career growth. Internal promotion is nearly impossible unless you have the connection to the upper middle management.
    The working knowledge attained is not transferable due to the specialized utilities industry.
    Not recommended for younger professionals as the middle management is consisted of older folks thst had no appreciation for new bloods, particularly toward millennials.

Advice to Management

The company functions like a government and is filled with nepotism and favoritism. The management is divided into various clangs and employees that didn’t belong to a particular clang would have no opportunities for upward mobility. Management seems to be spending more time on meetings and politics than on supporting their employees and streamlining the processes.

"Good mission cluless management"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Good people who really want to do the right things for customers.

Cons

Management has no idea on how to keep talents. Can't make decisions and can't create an environment that foster collaboration and good culture.
    Management only favorite certain personality, no diversity.

Advice to Management

Find real leaders. Listen without actions doesn't solve issues.

10. "Thanks"

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in San Jacinto, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in San Jacinto, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

None that I know of

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on