Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne
Kevin Payne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I like being able to have a great work-life balance while becoming more proficient in the energy sector without having to burnout" (in 104 reviews)

• "great pay and benefits from health insurance to bonuses" (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on the organization, your work-life balance can be completely exhausting" (in 19 reviews)

• "There are "clicks" in which favoritism plays a large role specially with upper management" (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting new company direction"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Exciting new company direction/strategy toward a clean energy future
    - Friendly, helpful, and extremely intelligent co-workers
    - New ideas are encouraged and valued
    - Great pay and work/life balance, with opportunities to work on interesting and challenging projects
    - Supportive and welcoming team environment
    - Really puts effort into diversity and inclusion
    - Management cares about their employees' career development

Cons

- Department is a little disorganized, but could be from past layoffs and restructuring
    - Bureaucracy; approvals can take a lifetime (it is a utility after all, though things are getting better)
    - Could use more direction about short-term and long-term work from management
    - Organizations Units can sometimes feel very siloed from each other, but there is definitely an effort to break down walls

2. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great environment

Cons

Slow moving company toward innovation

"Quality of senior management is like rolling dice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of very smart and talented people; also a real dedication to reducing carbon emissions and implementing a clean energy future. In all, it's a great company, and if you have a chance to work here, you should absolutely grab it!

Cons

"Generalists" are favored over experts for senior leadership roles which can lead to inexperienced leaders who may or may not have the appropriate subject matter expertise to manage specialized disciples.

Additionally, in my opinion SCE has far too many middle managers (Manager and Senior Managers). I would recommend having more reports to a single manager and slimming the management ranks.

One other challenge is the frequent rotation of Directors - these are people who have been earmarked for potential executive positions. While maybe a bit of an over generalization, from what I've seen, each new Director is looking to make their mark, which can led to frequent changes in strategy and vision; and inefficiencies as a team will be on one trajectory and then forced to pivot with the change in leadership.

SCE is also a multi-generational company, which has resulted in an uneven skill sets in some groups. Much of the older generation was part of the "employment for life generation" and haven't pushed to acquire the skills needed in the present market. I would recommend offering early retirement in order to slim bloated ranks and bring in fresh blood who are motivated, comfortable working within dynamic, agile environments, and have the most current skill sets.

Additionally, promotions are very difficult to come by at SCE. A lot of very talented people have been locked into the same seniority role for a decade or more. In order to get a promotion you will almost always have to leave your current team or organization and move to another one.

Advice to Management

Ensure that Principal Managers and above, even if generalists, have a vision which is aligned with company objectives. Also ensure leaders in the company, while ambitious, have a guiding north star of "a common good". Additionally, be judicious in appointing people to the senior leader positions. Ensure they have the appropriate experience , are empirical, and be willing to take a stand to protect teams and people.

Also run as a modern business in which ROI is a principal measure used to gauge the effectiveness of a team. Some teams run very lean and efficiently at SCE, while others are carrying additional weight -- too many managers, employees with mis-aligned skill sets, lazy employees -- that should be eliminated. SCE provides a generous education allowance -- if people are unwilling to learn and make sure they have the latest knowledge and skills, they shouldn't be at the company.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, compensation, and challenging work

Cons

Bureaucracy sometimes make it difficult to push initiatives through

5. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good bright people and environment to work in
    - Very good pay and benefits
    - Good work-life balance
    - Interesting projects
    - Good leadership

Cons

- Lost of very knowledgeable, and experienced workers due to transformation
    - Being a large company, it can be difficult to navigate to get what you need and to get answers

6. "contractor security"

Former Employee - Nerc Operator in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Nerc Operator in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice people to work for

Cons

long hours no benefits

7. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great Team
    Welcoming and gives guidance

Cons

Communication can improve but is not bad

"Great benefits and perks, not-so-great opportunities"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of employee benefits. The 9-80s schedule was a big work/life balance winner for me. Having every other Friday off is great. Everyone seems to be happy about working for Edison. In my new hire orientation, everyone was focused on how happy they were to be "working for such a great company." Yet, no one spoke about their opportunities at Edison - which I thought was a bit weird. People that are fairly "new" (less than 10 years) are pretty quick to talk to you and bring you into the group. The benefits packages are pretty good and the 401K plan is the best I've ever seen.

Cons

You're sort of treated like a carpetbagger by the "old timers." Employees that have been here greater than 20 years pretty much ignore you. That unfortunately also applies to new ideas or embracing any sort of change - I think these two are a chicken-and-egg sort of thing. The opportunities that were discussed in my interviews haven't materialized and I now understand why: As senior (tenured believing) staff is against new ideas or embracing change, management is unable to incubate new ideas. If you have to wait 20 years until anyone will listen to your ideas, those people with the new ideas will go somewhere else (or just give up and start "pulling a paycheck").

Advice to Management

Keep trying - I like your ideas and they make a lot of (common) sense. It's a big company and like turning a ship, it takes time.

9. "Waste of Rate Payers Money"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be able to live in LA

Cons

A jobs program for people who work hard at moving dirt piles from one hole to another

Advice to Management

Be brave and adopt a gig mentality - telecommuting saves lives, lowers pollution, stress and makes employees loyal. Earn employees trust

10. "IT Specialist/Engineer 3"

Current Employee - IT Specialist/Engineer III in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist/Engineer III in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have a great manager who cares about my professional as well as personal development. He leads through trust and provides positive and encouraging feedback.

Cons

If you do not live in the area, the commute can be a challenge.