Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne
Kevin Payne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 31 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ambitious leadership that is positioning the company to be a top utility in a rapidly changing industry. Respectful culture. Good pay and benefits. Company will be changing rapidly and will have opportunities for people who can embrace change.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic. Long serving employees can be change resistant.

2. "Happy Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Southern California Edison as an intern

Pros

Overall a good place to start your career at - they are flexible, laid back, and provide a good work life balance.

Cons

Lots of red tape and bureaucracy, they idealize personality, demeanor, delivery of the message, and social status over the ideas themselves. Your quality of work life really depends on who you work for and around. If you have a good manager and team, you will be in luck. Otherwise, your potential might be wasted.

Advice to Management

Trust your technical employees, let them grow their technical skill sets, and develop their strengths so they can transform the company

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location for me love it

Cons

Would like to work a 9/80 work shift

4. "SCE Review"

Current Employee - Senior Contract Specialist in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Contract Specialist in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefit and compensation; good life-work balance

Cons

Too much red-tape, no clear focus

5. "Help Lead the Clean Energy Revolution!"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great time and place to work if you want to help clean the power system and help customers make cleaner energy choices. The new corporate strategy is inspired and is a daily reminder of how important the work is. The work-life balance is hard to beat.

Cons

There are some cultural pockets of complacence; but this can be avoided if you stay focused on the importance of the work. Employees often seek promotions through interviewing for new jobs within the company, since in-line promotions are all too infrequent.

6. "Project Analyst"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great experience from strategic collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders. Excellent opportunities for personal development due to numerous cross-functional departments.

Cons

With recent movement / transitions due to re-organizational initiatives, this has caused decreased morale among employees.

Advice to Management

Provide better communication and unification of certain job functionalities.

"Teachable Moment, Retraction, Apology & Challenge"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

In a recent conversation with my daughter she was complaining about office politics, things not going her way, etc. and my advise to her was, "be the change you want to see in others. Are you contributing to the negative things you're describing or are you focused on the positive?". Shortly there after as I was getting ready for bed I looked at myself in the mirror and realized how foolish I had been in my conversation with my daughter. I wasn't practicing what I had counseled my daughter nor what I encourage my co-workers to do, I had Hypocrite written all over my face because a few weeks ago I posted a review that was based on rumor & innuendo with unflattering and unprofessional comments about Edison and their Leadership. I have requested that post be retracted and offer my sincere apology to the company, their Leadership, current and retired employees.
    Pros: Edison; recognizes and celebrates diversity, encourages and provides hundreds of opportunities to give back to the communities in which we serve and live, provides training and professional development opportunities to all its employees, provides thousands of dollars in scholar to eligible high school students in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM). In addition Edison has numerous Affinity Groups that offer the opportunity to connect and get involved. The electric utility industry has experienced exponential change over the past 10 years with more to come and Edison Leadership works tirelessly to ensure our Strategic Initiatives align with our changing industry.
    My challenge to all that use Glass Door to post reviews, is Edison or your current employer a 100% Perfect company? Probably not, every company has it's strengths and weaknesses and cannot be everything to everyone. It's what YOU do to advance the strengths and work to minimize the weaknesses that counts. Edison has been a great company/family to work for and they are interested in hiring the Best and the Brightest to Engineer, Construct a Maintain the electric grid well into the future and posting negative reviews isn't going to help recruit the caliber of talent needed.

Cons

Not a perfect company but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Management

Management is not perfect either however, the long hours and dedication to position the company for the future are appreciated.

8. "Mission Driven Company"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

SCE isn't your father's utility anymore. The company is transitioning and really making an impact on society. It's great to work for an employer where you know you are helping customers and the community and creating a cleaner environment for future generations. The company is progressive and transforming the industry. Lots of fun and innovative things happening there. It's an exciting time to be at SCE!

Cons

Sometimes making change takes longer than I hoped, but I keep focused on the bigger picture and then I can see that things are moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep going in articulating the mission and our impact on society. Great down-to-earth and approachable leaders is helping.

9. "It's decent working for a utility I guess"

Current Employee - Planner I in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Planner I in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stability, though that is changing a bit as the industry does.

Cons

Corporate Overlords rule your life and you are just a number.

10. "Awesome internship experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Rosemead, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as an intern

Pros

Managers are pretty flexible, pay is good, people are really great to work with

Cons

Traffic; it's right outside of LA

Advice to Management

Keep pouring into and developing your employees