Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne
Kevin Payne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 80 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 69 reviews)

Cons

"20% do 80% of the work, the rest coast"

Former Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong following on PMI project management practices
    Lots of people to learn from among the organization

Cons

Poor use of resources across the company
    Lots of redundant groups that shouldn't exist
    Extremely stressful if you are in engineering, probably the only group that does heavy lifting on the office side of the company
    Poor promotion/salary ladder - it's tenure based despite them telling you they will use merit as a factor
    Lots of people just coast there and create issues to justify their job

Advice to Management

Stop expecting engineers to perform the roles of project managers AND engineers while maintaining a full engineering workload.

"Big problems with HR, IT and Corp Real Estate"

Current Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can be a good stable company, but OpX (cost cutting) has created real fear and constant overtime to 50 hour weeks

Cons

IT, HR and CRE are a disaster. IT is most clueless. Systems go down, takes forever to get new software, offshore support, and no one cares. HR is close behind. Farmed out building mgmt to CBRE - they are ex employees who are demoralized.

Advice to Management

Realize that rates aren't everything. This is an expensive policy state, learn to live with it.

"Becoming a toxic workplace"

Current Employee - Principal Advisor in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Advisor in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits, lots of smart people (for the time being). Opportunity to make a difference in a rapidly changing industry.

Cons

Over the top corporate BS, constant re-orgs, "flavor of the month" approaches to serious issues. Political correctness overrides common sense in most cases. Very risk-averse company. IT and HR in shambles.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that people are your greatest asset. Current attitudes signal otherwise.

"Time warp"

Former Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good/average pay and benefits, lots of lateral mobility

Cons

Titles are low compared to market. Office spaces are outdated. Technology is is way outdated and unreliable. Culture makes it VERY difficult to join "from the outside". Multiple generations (yes, not just decades) of calling a friend who had an answer and, more recently, phases of outsourcing have meant that entire data-sets, systems, processes are void. Many of those who are left survived by staying off the radar, they are not not those who will propel the enterprise to meet its industry's challenges. Further, strategy is not articulated. Sure, everyone is nice.
     Inmates are running the asylum.

Advice to Management

Take action on supporting change and innovation. Hold yourself and others accountable.

"Engineers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work are micro management team

Cons

salaries are the most important thing

"You are just a number."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, health benefits, possible retirement benefits,

Cons

Distrust, Nepotism, no job security, two faced managing, micro management,

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway.

"Shareholders and Senior Management Making $$$$"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Interesting work. Changing industry is creating opportunities and reducing some of the existing bureaucracy.

Cons

Too much middle management who look to manage up only and don't promote their employees or employees ideas. Lack of trust, respect in senior management as shareholders/senior management benefit, yet layoffs, reducing benefits are a norm for the workforce.

Advice to Management

Make surveys confidential so that employees participate and are not afraid of retaliation. Management should share in the pain, i.e. reduced salaries, bonuses, stock options, etc....

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Historically rich organization. Competitive compensation. Opportunity to cross train in multiple functions. Tied to the community and strong community engagement.

Cons

In the midst of downsizing. Many reductions in force and layoffs since 2011. RIF's are ongoing, and changes will continue to occur, even for new hires. Tenured employees often cater to 'preferred' new candidates. Morale around the environment is low. Many changes in leadership occurring with frequency.

Advice to Management

Utilize tools such as Glassdoor to assess the company environment. Surveys submitted within the company are not anonymous. The employees tend to provide biased information. Sites like Glassdoor have nothing to lose or gain by providing analytical data (via employee responses)

"Too Much Work and no more pay"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Corporate value are good. Management is places are fair

Cons

Reduction of staff and do more with less. You get more work and no more pay for the extra work. Very high stress work workplace.

Advice to Management

Employee will stay at a company if they are paid for the extra work and stress.

"Working in SCE"

Former Employee - Meter Reader II in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Meter Reader II in Whittier, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Make lots of money, outstanding benefits,room for progress and sky is the limit with SCE

Cons

There's so many people in the company that fall through the cracks. Like myself there was a RIF -REDUCTION IN FORCE.. I'VE BEEN AT THE TIME THIS HAPPENED WITH SCE 8YRS ALREADY AND YET I FELL LIKE MANY OTHERS THROUGH THE CRACKS.. AND THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO ABOUT IT. SO DEC28 2012 WAS MY LAST DAY WITH SCE. I HONESTLY MISS WORKING FOR SCE. LET me go just a little deeper after I got lad off 2 months later my x wife gave birth to my 1st son and unfortunately 17day later he passed away...than that same month we left our home to live with my x families than they stopped giving me unemployment benefits after1yr I tryed go to school I tried everything I could but Congress didn't approve anything so I had depression from losing my job
    Making35.45 a hr +the loss of my son now no income because of Congress I was hoping at least helping me in a electrical trate school.. But nothing +2 months after that I caught my x with some one else.. Plus there is way more things that happened.. but no time.. While still trying to re apply for SCE..STILL TO THIS DAY... NO REPLY ON MY APPLICATION S.. OTHER THAN THAT ITS A FORTUNE 500 COMPANY. ☺

Advice to Management

Management please take time to care for your employees and to guide them in the right direction so they can grow With the company . So many of us fell through the cracks please listen to what I'm saying because it's true.. STARTING FROM THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM.. THANK YOU