Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 16, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southern California Edison CEO Kevin Payne
Kevin Payne

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 79 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 28 reviews)

"Tough Place to Manage"

Current Employee - Manager I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Manager I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to gain insight into utility and energy sector. Calling from SCE ensures returned calls.

Cons

I had very little support for managing my team. Of 12 employees on my team, 2 were known problems across management. I was not only unable to terminate these employees, I was regularly subject to questioning by HR for baseless complaints by those employees. Upper management treated me as an unsuccessful manager based on their negative reviews despite glowing reviews by the other 10 members of my team and support from my immediate manager.

Advice to Management

Someone in management recognized the lack of management skills among longtime employees and promoted hiring of employees with established management skills. Yet those managers did not receive support to implement sound management practices and instead were very restricted in their autonomy. Many very strong managers worked in obscurity, not identified as high potential employees worthy of greater investment and promotion.

"San Onofre Nuclear Station prior to shut-down"

Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at SCE's nuclear plant before it was shut down for almost eight years. Don't have any experience with the company outside of that. For me it was Excellent pay, above average benefits, and super smart people. This was my 2nd job out of college so it gave me a great background and experience for future jobs. I would have worked here my entire career if the plant had stayed open. The reason I gave 3 stars is because it shut down due to poor senior management decisions.

Cons

Management at the plant was so-so. We had lots of regulatory problems that we were working through and improving upon. Unfortunately managers who made calls on new equipment installation didn't do a good job and we wound up shutting down. Prior to the shutdown they hired a lot of new people then 3 years later brought in new management to lay people off. From what I've read about SCE in the news, lay-offs are a common thing and morale is pretty bad throughout the company. They didn't do much to help us union guys find jobs within the company. They held a pretty cheeseball career fair because they were required to but didn't put real effort into keeping us within SCE. Probably for the best since the workplace reviews and news make SCE sound like it has a terrible culture now.

Advice to Management

Not much I can say since the last time I worked for SCE was in 2013. I would consider going back in a different department but not until real leadership is installed at the top and the culture of constant lay-offs and poor morale are reversed.

"Part-Time Employment"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off
    Partial benefits
    Employee safety is a top priority
    Good salary
    Regular performance reviews

Cons

You're just a number there to create/produce numbers

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally

"Going downhill, but still a good place to be"

Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, flexible schedules

Cons

Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work. Still way too many middle managers, some of whom are abusive yet never seem to get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Get out of your ivory tower and come down and see what our struggles are.

5. "Good pay, horrible management"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Rosemead, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Started off with $21/hr pay and was raised to $22 by the end of the year . Co-workers were good to work with and knew their stuff.

Cons

management had no idea what they were doing and often time blew off important issues we brought up. And they would constantly set new priorities making it difficult to get anything done correctly.

6. "Great benefits and pay"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, diverse work, some good people

Cons

Sterile work environment, going through reorg

Advice to Management

Stop discouraging employees from engaging one another outside of work hours.

7. "Getting Better; Still Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and work/life balance. Personal and career growth is encouraged and supported; there are opportunities to advance in the company. There are a lot of changes being implemented to position the company to cater to the "Workforce of the Future."

Cons

The company has gone through several reductions in force, so morale and engagement among long time employees is low. Even though one of the core values is "Continuous Improvement" many long-time employees are not open to new ideas and better processes. "That's not the way we've always done it" seems to be one of the core values. The onboarding process leaves a lot to be desired; it can take several weeks for IT to get a new employee's computer set up and software installed.

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership is doing a great job of moving the company into the future and sharing their vision; middle management is doing a great job of blocking progress and keeping ineffective processes in place. As an employee it is a challenging situation to be in when you are hearing a very different message from Senior Leadership from the one your manager is giving you. Find ways to support employees who are aligned with the company's goals and vision so you don't lose talented employees.

8. "Program/Project Analyst 2"

Former Employee - Program/Project Analyst II in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Program/Project Analyst II in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the few companies to offer an employee pension (at least at that time). Employee cost for health benefits was increased annually outweighing what the company paid. Educational reimbursement was competitive with other companies. Opportunities for continuing education was strongly encouraged.

Cons

Needs more work on breaking down silos, it still seems like a 'me versus you' mentality between organizations.

9. "Ops Infra PM"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rosemead, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and collaborative. WLB on some depts

Cons

Most employees were gone due to Managed Services model

"Shortsighted Decisions and Lack of Strategic Approach"

Former Contractor - Project Lead in Rosemead, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Lead in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

No pros at this time

Cons

Decisions are made based on short term budget considerations without regard for the human and long-term impact. Lots of petty kingdom building that interferes with employees' ability to get things done. Everything is a number one priority...that just creates confusion, chaos, and stress for all parties.

Advice to Management

Take actions that support a clear strategy. Weigh the pros and cons especially when people's livelihoods are directly impacted.