Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 80 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 31 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

1. "Completely different company than the prior 120 years"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Safety is a top priority.

Cons

Company down-sizing and cost cutting leads to no growth and layoffs.

"San Onofre Nuclear Station prior to shut-down"

Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at SCE's nuclear plant before it was shut down for almost eight years. Don't have any experience with the company outside of that. For me it was Excellent pay, above average benefits, and super smart people. This was my 2nd job out of college so it gave me a great background and experience for future jobs. I would have worked here my entire career if the plant had stayed open. The reason I gave 3 stars is because it shut down due to poor senior management decisions.

Cons

Management at the plant was so-so. We had lots of regulatory problems that we were working through and improving upon. Unfortunately managers who made calls on new equipment installation didn't do a good job and we wound up shutting down. Prior to the shutdown they hired a lot of new people then 3 years later brought in new management to lay people off. From what I've read about SCE in the news, lay-offs are a common thing and morale is pretty bad throughout the company. They didn't do much to help us union guys find jobs within the company. They held a pretty cheeseball career fair because they were required to but didn't put real effort into keeping us within SCE. Probably for the best since the workplace reviews and news make SCE sound like it has a terrible culture now.

Advice to Management

Not much I can say since the last time I worked for SCE was in 2013. I would consider going back in a different department but not until real leadership is installed at the top and the culture of constant lay-offs and poor morale are reversed.

"Part-Time Employment"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off
    Partial benefits
    Employee safety is a top priority
    Good salary
    Regular performance reviews

Cons

You're just a number there to create/produce numbers

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally

"Going downhill, but still a good place to be"

Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, flexible schedules

Cons

Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work. Still way too many middle managers, some of whom are abusive yet never seem to get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Get out of your ivory tower and come down and see what our struggles are.

5. "Good pay, horrible management"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Rosemead, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Started off with $21/hr pay and was raised to $22 by the end of the year . Co-workers were good to work with and knew their stuff.

Cons

management had no idea what they were doing and often time blew off important issues we brought up. And they would constantly set new priorities making it difficult to get anything done correctly.

6. "Great benefits and pay"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, diverse work, some good people

Cons

Sterile work environment, going through reorg

Advice to Management

Stop discouraging employees from engaging one another outside of work hours.

7. "Getting Better; Still Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and work/life balance. Personal and career growth is encouraged and supported; there are opportunities to advance in the company. There are a lot of changes being implemented to position the company to cater to the "Workforce of the Future."

Cons

The company has gone through several reductions in force, so morale and engagement among long time employees is low. Even though one of the core values is "Continuous Improvement" many long-time employees are not open to new ideas and better processes. "That's not the way we've always done it" seems to be one of the core values. The onboarding process leaves a lot to be desired; it can take several weeks for IT to get a new employee's computer set up and software installed.

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership is doing a great job of moving the company into the future and sharing their vision; middle management is doing a great job of blocking progress and keeping ineffective processes in place. As an employee it is a challenging situation to be in when you are hearing a very different message from Senior Leadership from the one your manager is giving you. Find ways to support employees who are aligned with the company's goals and vision so you don't lose talented employees.

"Cons outweigh the benefits"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits - Health, pension, 401K, academic reimbursement, fitness account. Usually good work/life balance.

Cons

Bureaucratic environment where simple decisions take forever to make or are continually postponed until no decision is made at all. Extreme internal politics. Do not agree with how HR/management handles conflict. Easy to get stuck in a "silo" where work is not challenging. This work culture works for some people but not for others.

9. "Great"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

a great place to work

Cons

might have to work long hours

10. "SCE Review"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Good benefits - health, dental, vision, $400 for exercise classes

Cons

Difficult to move up quickly, company has gone through 2 layoffs+ in the past 5 years