Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 80 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 70 reviews)

1. "Meter Technician 1"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Metershop is very easy going and great atmosphere. There is only a certain amount of work that needs to be done every day.

Cons

Sometimes its gets boring in the shop.

"Just say No!"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well to do a job that most people can do but with lots of constraints and bureaucratic run-around

Cons

Expected to answer to pages, texts, and emails 24 x 7 within 15 minutes. Not a job for social skills.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting employees to be slaves. They are not there to do your whimsy requests and play your political games.

"San Onofre Nuclear Station prior to shut-down"

Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at SCE's nuclear plant before it was shut down for almost eight years. Don't have any experience with the company outside of that. For me it was Excellent pay, above average benefits, and super smart people. This was my 2nd job out of college so it gave me a great background and experience for future jobs. I would have worked here my entire career if the plant had stayed open. The reason I gave 3 stars is because it shut down due to poor senior management decisions.

Cons

Management at the plant was so-so. We had lots of regulatory problems that we were working through and improving upon. Unfortunately managers who made calls on new equipment installation didn't do a good job and we wound up shutting down. Prior to the shutdown they hired a lot of new people then 3 years later brought in new management to lay people off. From what I've read about SCE in the news, lay-offs are a common thing and morale is pretty bad throughout the company. They didn't do much to help us union guys find jobs within the company. They held a pretty cheeseball career fair because they were required to but didn't put real effort into keeping us within SCE. Probably for the best since the workplace reviews and news make SCE sound like it has a terrible culture now.

Advice to Management

Not much I can say since the last time I worked for SCE was in 2013. I would consider going back in a different department but not until real leadership is installed at the top and the culture of constant lay-offs and poor morale are reversed.

4. "IT Senior Manager"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great benefits and mostly great colleagues. Company is generally willing to invest in new technologies and products to improve processes and you do have a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Slow decision making and a very hierarchy based company. There is limited inline promotion opportunities and growth is via applying to any available senior position.

Advice to Management

We have an awesome CEO in Kevin Payne. Company is trying to change the culture which is great but we have a long way to go.

"Great company, rough on boarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for the company and I love the culture.

Cons

The onboarding process has been a bit of a nightmare. Anything related to IT and software/computer hardware acquisition has been unacceptably slow. Software that was supposed to be preloaded was not. Software/hardware requests have been made 2-3x. Software necessary to do my job has still not been provided for over 3 months.

Advice to Management

Get onboarding and IT in line. Having done most of that on my own with my previous company I know most of these requests should take hours or at most a couple days. 3 months and counting is insulting.

"Part-Time Employment"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off
    Partial benefits
    Employee safety is a top priority
    Good salary
    Regular performance reviews

Cons

You're just a number there to create/produce numbers

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally

7. "Space Portfolio Manager"

Current Employee - Space Portfolio Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Space Portfolio Manager in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SCE is evolving into a much more dynamic utility company, which is exciting to be a part of. Good pay and benefits as well.

Cons

There are still remnants of the old school utility mentality (this is how we have always done it so why all of the change?)

"Going downhill, but still a good place to be"

Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Planner in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, flexible schedules

Cons

Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work. Still way too many middle managers, some of whom are abusive yet never seem to get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Get out of your ivory tower and come down and see what our struggles are.

9. "Exciting , meaningful and respectful environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Southern California Edison is leading the way in reducing greenhouse gases and offering increased customization and choice for new customer segments. More transformation and opportunity every day in the electrification of transportation and other sectors. Exciting, important work that sustains life. Very supportive atmosphere. Employees working together in new ways with fresh thinking.

Cons

Speed with which the landscape is changing is boggling (but so exciting, almost thrilling.)

Advice to Management

Keep fostering a culture of respect. Stay real.

10. "Great benefits and pay"

Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, diverse work, some good people

Cons

Sterile work environment, going through reorg

Advice to Management

Stop discouraging employees from engaging one another outside of work hours.