Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated July 15, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 80 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 69 reviews)

"Double Speak"

Current Employee - Project Manager (MPP1) in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager (MPP1) in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a good benefits package. I believe most Managers truly care about their team. Peers look out for their teammates. Salaries are reasonable.

Cons

The company has changed words to make things appear to be rosy. Examples, merit increases are not tied to performance appraisals but they are; operations excellence means reorganization and downsizing not service improvement; out sourcing to companies that use a preponderance of H1B visa resources to shelter the company from criticism of shipping jobs off shore.

Advice to Management

For the executives, be more honest. Use common language. Abandon the direction given by HR leaders. Be more forthright in interactions with your employees and use less corporate speak.

"Decommissioning Team"

Former Employee - Senior Scheduler in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scheduler in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SONGS was a great place to work, great people, and a great location.

Cons

Unfortunately, they decided to decommission the site. Working in California is difficult. Rediculous regulations and state officials.

3. "ITSE 4"

Current Contractor - ITSE IV in Rosemead, CA
    Current Contractor - ITSE IV in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary possibilities and leading edge technology.

Cons

Low morale due to outsourced IT operations, imminent layoffs.

"Very traditional company trying to manage sweeping changes in industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Very caring employees, they become your second family
    - CEO who finally has Customer Service background
    - Pays very well, great benefits; many employee resources and tools (professional and personal)

Cons

- Very traditional in its thought processes and perspectives
    - Senior Execs/Senior leaders seem far removed from operational knowledge
    - Mid-level managers micromanage, and promotions are about "who you know"

Advice to Management

If you hire intelligent, well-capable employees, allow them to do their best work rather than micromanage and scrutinize their tasks and methods. With a lot of company downsizing, employees are feeling burnt out, and managers seem to turn a blind eye.

"Was a Great Place to Work Until 2009"

Former Employee - Construction Maintenance Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Maintenance Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits Employees easy to work with Excellent Pay Safety number one priority. Advancement very good if you are a relative of someone in upper management

Cons

Upper management hire children and relatives that don't have a clue of how to supervise personnel or know anything about the business. Middle management don't listen to employees that have an opinion and if you do you're considered a trouble maker. Most Middle Management employees never came up thru the ranks on how the business is ran. A lot of prejudice in middle management when Obama took Office. Took it out on Black employees.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at some of your senior Middle management employees. Most are racist when you have an opinion.

"Walk the talk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and benefits, good location

Cons

Sr management talks a good game, but has no clue about employee engagement, honesty and trust

Advice to Management

Empower employees , be truthful to them and care more for them than yourself

7. "Good for R&D efforts"

Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive R&D technologies - advanced tech lab has many forward looking efforts - need to synergies with current state of the art for better execution. Longer you work in the company more stable but stagnant

Cons

Inertia for change in operational organization - highly political env. Many executive leads don't want to force changes. Changing current culture of complacency is very difficult.

Advice to Management

Inefficient financial management and inadequate strategic direction for operations

"Project Analyst 3"

Former Employee - SENIOR PROJECT ANALYST/Junior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - SENIOR PROJECT ANALYST/Junior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be a great place to work depending on who you ending working with. Some managers are great and some are no good at all.

Cons

Company is going through a re-org so a lot of people are being let go. This has dragged down the morale of the company.

Advice to Management

If you are going to re-org the company the sooner the better. No point in dragging in out longer than it has too.

"Corporate Representative"

Former Employee - Corporate Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a great initial leader and team environment. Good information flow and was encouraged to think beyond my current job or discipline. Very good benefits. Very good pay. Was able to learn a great deal about the company and industry and also allowed to take some risks and initiative, in my first two years.

Cons

Line of sight was cut off to other business units, and information slowed. The senior leaders of the company don't live the values. In every meeting with our most senior leader he never asked me how my work environment was and whether my leader was doing a good job. I would have said my work environment was toxic but my leader was doing best job possible - needed more support. Promotions are hard to come by and people slack off in their positions and let those below them do the real work.

Advice to Management

Give better support to your senior managers and directors. Don't give lip service to skip level meetings, make them meaningful. How do we learn and improve if you won't ask for and assess accurate work situations? Seems like integrity was punished and complacency was rewarded. That's not a recipe for success or for a good work environment.

"Used to be good, now outsourced into mediocrity"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst IV in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst IV in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, good benefits. Decent people to work with. Great 401k match. Exposure to leading edge technology. Prepared for my next job.

Cons

Horrible work location in armpit of east metro LA area. Exec leadership is lacking, all they know is cost-cutting and outsourcing to enrich themselves. No strategic vision to become anything else than a utility collecting money.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box and evolve to something different. Become a leader instead of a follower. Treat your people better.