Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 31 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company to Work At"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Challenging work
    Continuous growth

Cons

Given the size of the company there are a lot of opportunities to streamline processes

Advice to Management

None

"Doesn't walk the walk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits are decent, although even that is deteriorating.

Cons

Very slow pace. The company is held hostage by vendors who deliver bad quality products and then charge again to fix them, Executives talk about becoming an efficient company but act the opposite.

"Tough Place to Manage"

Current Employee - Manager I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Manager I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to gain insight into utility and energy sector. Calling from SCE ensures returned calls.

Cons

I had very little support for managing my team. Of 12 employees on my team, 2 were known problems across management. I was not only unable to terminate these employees, I was regularly subject to questioning by HR for baseless complaints by those employees. Upper management treated me as an unsuccessful manager based on their negative reviews despite glowing reviews by the other 10 members of my team and support from my immediate manager.

Advice to Management

Someone in management recognized the lack of management skills among longtime employees and promoted hiring of employees with established management skills. Yet those managers did not receive support to implement sound management practices and instead were very restricted in their autonomy. Many very strong managers worked in obscurity, not identified as high potential employees worthy of greater investment and promotion.

4. "I have been working at SCE full-time (More than 2 years)"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, good scheduling

Cons

The management is so disconnected from the people who do the work.

5. "Completely different company than the prior 120 years"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Safety is a top priority.

Cons

Company down-sizing and cost cutting leads to no growth and layoffs.

"Going downhill. . . Fast!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Starting pay is pretty good but benefits and long term viability are terrible.

Cons

It's no longer the friendly career-minded place to work. My honest advice is to stay away unless you are desperate for a job. Upper management do not care about employees at all; once they reach a certain level in the company, the aim is self-preservation.

Advice to Management

Your people are your best asset. You're losing your grip on long-term faithful employees. Start treating your employees better or you'll be paying the price (in low earnings and low stock price) in 5 years

7. "Pleased."

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

SCE is a great company to work for. They offer competitive salary and if you work in the Rosemead office, there is a gym that can be reimbursed by the company.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for promotion. Most employees stay in their positions for a long time so you would like have to switch roles in order to earn a promotion.

8. "Meter Technician 1"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Metershop is very easy going and great atmosphere. There is only a certain amount of work that needs to be done every day.

Cons

Sometimes its gets boring in the shop.

"Just say No!"

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well to do a job that most people can do but with lots of constraints and bureaucratic run-around

Cons

Expected to answer to pages, texts, and emails 24 x 7 within 15 minutes. Not a job for social skills.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting employees to be slaves. They are not there to do your whimsy requests and play your political games.

"San Onofre Nuclear Station prior to shut-down"

Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at SCE's nuclear plant before it was shut down for almost eight years. Don't have any experience with the company outside of that. For me it was Excellent pay, above average benefits, and super smart people. This was my 2nd job out of college so it gave me a great background and experience for future jobs. I would have worked here my entire career if the plant had stayed open. The reason I gave 3 stars is because it shut down due to poor senior management decisions.

Cons

Management at the plant was so-so. We had lots of regulatory problems that we were working through and improving upon. Unfortunately managers who made calls on new equipment installation didn't do a good job and we wound up shutting down. Prior to the shutdown they hired a lot of new people then 3 years later brought in new management to lay people off. From what I've read about SCE in the news, lay-offs are a common thing and morale is pretty bad throughout the company. They didn't do much to help us union guys find jobs within the company. They held a pretty cheeseball career fair because they were required to but didn't put real effort into keeping us within SCE. Probably for the best since the workplace reviews and news make SCE sound like it has a terrible culture now.

Advice to Management

Not much I can say since the last time I worked for SCE was in 2013. I would consider going back in a different department but not until real leadership is installed at the top and the culture of constant lay-offs and poor morale are reversed.