Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern California Edison Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and paid holidays (in 79 reviews)

• The company has great pay and benefits that far exceed the private sector (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 28 reviews)

"Walk the talk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and benefits, good location

Cons

Sr management talks a good game, but has no clue about employee engagement, honesty and trust

Advice to Management

Empower employees , be truthful to them and care more for them than yourself

2. "Good for R&D efforts"

Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Progressive R&D technologies - advanced tech lab has many forward looking efforts - need to synergies with current state of the art for better execution. Longer you work in the company more stable but stagnant

Cons

Inertia for change in operational organization - highly political env. Many executive leads don't want to force changes. Changing current culture of complacency is very difficult.

Advice to Management

Inefficient financial management and inadequate strategic direction for operations

"HR Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good pay and benefits. Good work life balance. Noble attempt at improving employee engagement.

Cons

Overly concerned with reducing labor costs. Constant downsizing, layoffs, and reorganizations leave the remaining workforce in shell-shocked and scrambling to fill the voids.

Advice to Management

Identify alternative methods to reduce operating costs, that does reduce headcount. Follow through on recommendations to improve employee engagement.

5. "not technically challenging"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits with team building activities. Offers career opportunities and mentorship. PDP allows one to do an annual self check.

Cons

Some political tensions among subgroups. I heard company was doing a re-org. and knowing I didnt have seniority, I left for another opportunity. Need more managers that are also doers to move things along quicker instead passing up/reporting results.

Advice to Management

Remove roadblocks for interdepartment collaborations to reduce bickering and add new blood to focus on change for process improvements, not reorganizations while reducing the fear of layoffs. Change takes time, but adding the volatility in personnels as a factor can hinder growth while demoralizing employees spirits.

"Project Analyst 3"

Former Employee - SENIOR PROJECT ANALYST/Junior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - SENIOR PROJECT ANALYST/Junior Project Manager in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be a great place to work depending on who you ending working with. Some managers are great and some are no good at all.

Cons

Company is going through a re-org so a lot of people are being let go. This has dragged down the morale of the company.

Advice to Management

If you are going to re-org the company the sooner the better. No point in dragging in out longer than it has too.

"Not What It Used to Be"

Current Employee - Test Technician in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Test Technician in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Company recently hired a union busting lawyer to represent them in the last round of IBEW contract negotiations. Company laid off large groups of IT workers and forced them to train their foreign replacements in order to receive their severance packages. The company is phasing out pensions, lowering benefits packages, and under-staffing their hydro power plants in the name of "Operational Excellence".

Advice to Management

Retire

"Corporate Representative"

Former Employee - Corporate Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a great initial leader and team environment. Good information flow and was encouraged to think beyond my current job or discipline. Very good benefits. Very good pay. Was able to learn a great deal about the company and industry and also allowed to take some risks and initiative, in my first two years.

Cons

Line of sight was cut off to other business units, and information slowed. The senior leaders of the company don't live the values. In every meeting with our most senior leader he never asked me how my work environment was and whether my leader was doing a good job. I would have said my work environment was toxic but my leader was doing best job possible - needed more support. Promotions are hard to come by and people slack off in their positions and let those below them do the real work.

Advice to Management

Give better support to your senior managers and directors. Don't give lip service to skip level meetings, make them meaningful. How do we learn and improve if you won't ask for and assess accurate work situations? Seems like integrity was punished and complacency was rewarded. That's not a recipe for success or for a good work environment.

9. "Telecom"

Current Employee - Telecommunications Engineer in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Telecommunications Engineer in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 schedule is available to most employees in the telecom department

Cons

Recent lay offs have people worried about outsourcing. IT department was mostly outsourced to India.

10. "Solid Company"

Former Employee - Nuclear Plant Equipment Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Plant Equipment Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Union, Great pay, Great benefits

Cons

Rotating shift work, when plant closed they kept us in the dark about what was going to happen basically until they were ready to lay us all off.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in La Crescenta, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in La Crescenta, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work-life balance. company is a leader in many aspects in the power industry.

Cons

the future of the company is not clear. promotions (if any) are not based on professional capabilities.

Advice to Management

put more efforts in developing its people.