Southern California Edison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is so totally disconnected from the people who actually do the work (in 31 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance and slow to make decisions (in 14 reviews)

1. "IT Senior Manager"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Great benefits and mostly great colleagues. Company is generally willing to invest in new technologies and products to improve processes and you do have a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Slow decision making and a very hierarchy based company. There is limited inline promotion opportunities and growth is via applying to any available senior position.

Advice to Management

We have an awesome CEO in Kevin Payne. Company is trying to change the culture which is great but we have a long way to go.

2. "Exciting , meaningful and respectful environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Southern California Edison is leading the way in reducing greenhouse gases and offering increased customization and choice for new customer segments. More transformation and opportunity every day in the electrification of transportation and other sectors. Exciting, important work that sustains life. Very supportive atmosphere. Employees working together in new ways with fresh thinking.

Cons

Speed with which the landscape is changing is boggling (but so exciting, almost thrilling.)

Advice to Management

Keep fostering a culture of respect. Stay real.

"IT / Telecom"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits, wages, union job, big California utility, better options on the power side of the company. Stay away from the IT/Telecom department

Cons

Completely mismanaged all the way to the director level. Management in the IT/Telecom department are all "Yes Men". They lack the intestinal fortitude to speak up for what is right, even when they know certain things they are doing is wrong. Middle management doesn't even trust upper management. The managers don't even know the technologies that their employees use or or working with, so frustrating. Currently IT/Telecom is the laughing stock of the company, but management doesn't even care about making improvements.

Advice to Management

Learn how to speak up on your employees behalf. Learn how to work with your employees and not always fight against them. Hire some managers that are actually technical, if they are managing a technical field. Some managers just can't lead. The culture encourages back stabbing and a "ME" first attitude. They have "Core Values" that no one in management IT/Telecom follows. Heaven forbid you having an opposing viewpoint

4. "Financial Analyst 2"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Strong Salary
    - Excellent Benefits
    - Smart people
    - Challenging Problems
    - Safety Culture, esp. ergonomic support
    - Employee Clubs/Community Resources

Cons

- Slow (Outsourced) IT Processes

"San Onofre Nuclear Station prior to shut-down"

Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in San Clemente, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at SCE's nuclear plant before it was shut down for almost eight years. Don't have any experience with the company outside of that. For me it was Excellent pay, above average benefits, and super smart people. This was my 2nd job out of college so it gave me a great background and experience for future jobs. I would have worked here my entire career if the plant had stayed open. The reason I gave 3 stars is because it shut down due to poor senior management decisions.

Cons

Management at the plant was so-so. We had lots of regulatory problems that we were working through and improving upon. Unfortunately managers who made calls on new equipment installation didn't do a good job and we wound up shutting down. Prior to the shutdown they hired a lot of new people then 3 years later brought in new management to lay people off. From what I've read about SCE in the news, lay-offs are a common thing and morale is pretty bad throughout the company. They didn't do much to help us union guys find jobs within the company. They held a pretty cheeseball career fair because they were required to but didn't put real effort into keeping us within SCE. Probably for the best since the workplace reviews and news make SCE sound like it has a terrible culture now.

Advice to Management

Not much I can say since the last time I worked for SCE was in 2013. I would consider going back in a different department but not until real leadership is installed at the top and the culture of constant lay-offs and poor morale are reversed.

"Becoming a toxic workplace"

Current Employee - Principal Advisor in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Advisor in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits, lots of smart people (for the time being). Opportunity to make a difference in a rapidly changing industry.

Cons

Over the top corporate BS, constant re-orgs, "flavor of the month" approaches to serious issues. Political correctness overrides common sense in most cases. Very risk-averse company. IT and HR in shambles.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that people are your greatest asset. Current attitudes signal otherwise.

"Time warp"

Former Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good/average pay and benefits, lots of lateral mobility

Cons

Titles are low compared to market. Office spaces are outdated. Technology is is way outdated and unreliable. Culture makes it VERY difficult to join "from the outside". Multiple generations (yes, not just decades) of calling a friend who had an answer and, more recently, phases of outsourcing have meant that entire data-sets, systems, processes are void. Many of those who are left survived by staying off the radar, they are not not those who will propel the enterprise to meet its industry's challenges. Further, strategy is not articulated. Sure, everyone is nice.
     Inmates are running the asylum.

Advice to Management

Take action on supporting change and innovation. Hold yourself and others accountable.

"Part-Time Employment"

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant I in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Southern California Edison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off
    Partial benefits
    Employee safety is a top priority
    Good salary
    Regular performance reviews

Cons

You're just a number there to create/produce numbers

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally

9. "IT Specialist"

I have been working at Southern California Edison full-time

Pros

Fantastic managers that listen to their employees.

Cons

Frequent Reorganizations. Outsourcing always a threat.

Advice to Management

Create new growth areas.

"CSR2"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Covina, CA
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Covina, CA

I worked at Southern California Edison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, friendships, skills learned, pension

Cons

No trust of management, DO NOT think of issuing an ethics report against them as HR is on their side, not yours - remember that - even when you're telling the truth. And unless you are good friends with a supervisor or manager, you are not getting very far in your career here. Ethics is something that is preached but not practiced.

Advice to Management

Establish honesty and trust with ALL employees, stop nepotism and favoritism, when employees have issues, listen with a clear, judgmental ear, not a prejudiced one, practice what is preached "assume best intentions" and give EVERYONE a fair chance, not just the ones you like.