Southern Care, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Aide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gadsden, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gadsden, AL

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hours, patients, coworkers, working at your own pace

Cons

No communication, lack of authority, bosses don't like to jump in and help

Advice to Management

Learn about co-workers and learn to communicate and work together. Boss need to jump in and when needing the help

2. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Waynesboro, MS
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Waynesboro, MS

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love my patients but not to much my hours

Cons

Don't like the hours I work

Advice to Management

I would like a job close to home with mid shift hours

3. "Worked for them longer than you any other company."

Former Employee - Chaplain in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Chaplain in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, teamwork incentives, great continuing education.

Cons

Salaries the same city to city. Company does not adjust for cost of living differences.

Advice to Management

Improve use of technology and retirement plan

"Southern Care was the Best before Merger"

Former Employee - Team Secretary in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Team Secretary in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a team secretary for Southern Care for 2 years and I loved it. The team environment was great, motivational, and dependable. Our two Medical Directors always went above and beyond for our patients which pushed the internal staff to push harder for our patients during the end of life stages. The employee activities and family atmosphere within the office made it feel as though even though we are helping those transition, our support system is here in the office.

Cons

When the company merged, Southern Care went down. Many layoffs, poor quality service, all about meeting numbers and not about patient care. It is disheartening for a company to lose the very values they started on which was support for the patient and its employees.

Advice to Management

Revert back to the roots of the original organization "where caring is a part of life" rich on values of life, health, and making lasting memories within a transitioning moment. Also bring valuable employees who loved the company and wanted to work back.

"Southerncare does not exist, it is only a name that Curo is ruining!!"

Former Employee - CNA in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - CNA in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Now that Curo is running this hospice company the only Pros left is the wonderful patients and families and a few good staff members.

Cons

Where to start..Curo has no passion for the dying, it is all about numbers and how big they can grow. Southerncare cared about patients and employees, but Curo seems to forget about both. Sad for them to even call themselves a hospice company!!

Advice to Management

Stop buying companies and running them into the ground. A great company isn't the biggest or has the most patients, it is the company that truly cares for their patients and employees. It doesn't matter how many companies you buy or how many patients you have you will never be the best!!!! The best (Southerncare) died the day you bought them :(

6. "Neat Exposure to a new field"

Former Employee - Community Relations Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Community Relations Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was neat to see a side of healthcare most people don't think about

Cons

Dealing with families during tragedy

7. "RN (Primary RN) Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People in the office were kind.

Cons

The workload is unrealistic, the on-call schedule is a true hardship, (much worse than I was led to believe when I interviewed), a big push for admissions even on weekends and the evenings when we were on call, VERY little in the way of orientation regarding the use of a "device" an electronic notepad that you do all of your charting on. Its user unfriendly, hard to navigate, and hard to learn to use. You have to assign yourself a visit before you can go out and see someone while on call. Its not easy and its time consuming. More often than not, I got home late in the evening and rarely did I get to take my hour for lunch. Lots of negatives at this job. The RN's and CNA's are stressed and very tired. Lots of turnover at this place. There's a reason for this. Senior management is cracking the whip to try to create a profit here, and the more they do that, the worse it gets.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to grow so fast (all about the money) that you continually stress your staff to the point where they quit. You get good staff and you burn them out. Expectations completely unrealistic here.

8. "RN Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Muncie, IN

I worked at Southern Care, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork, friendly atmosphere, fairly decent drive time

Cons

A few snobby co workers, lots of gossip

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of the old, bring in some new!

9. "clinical manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crestwood, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crestwood, KY

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees were hard workers, loved their jobs and did it for a reason. It takes a special person to do hospice work. Very satisfying to help provide comfort ans support at end of life.

Cons

Case loads were very heavy to provide patient care in a large rural community. Home base was center and we provided care in a 60 mile radius. Needed rembursememt other than mileage for wear ajd tear on our own vehicles.

Advice to Management

When hiring a person for a new role, make sure the regional clinical manager is up to the task of being a mentor. Support, follow through, high moral compass and accountability are key. A manager is omly a good as the support she is provided.

10. "Loved the RNCM,HHA, Chaplin awesome!"

Current Employee - Rncm in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Rncm in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Southern Care, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling if you have your own group of pt's. Able to coordinate client personal care with HHA and work together as a team to address the patient (most important) then facility needs and family needs.

Cons

Lack of transparency and not forthcoming when it comes to Pay alot of passing the buck when approached about changes in pay rates. State pt and families are first yet take action to do the exact opposite. Families complained they didn't care for the continual changes of rncm and hha. They stated just when you get comfortable with the care giver caring for your loved one it would change. Hard to be forthcoming when it's a new face every other week or so. Continuity of care lacking. Their Curo goal is professionalism and itegrity unfortunately this needs work in so many areas

Advice to Management

Ask your staff what they think about changes to caregivers and assignments. Stop trying to meet quotas and think about your hha and respond to their concerns. Be considerate to those who are actually in the field doing the hands on. Ignoring your staff will lead to more staff turnover. Talk to them individually. Take that time it goes along way in making your staff feel secure in their jobs. It's not always about quota. Don't lose sight of why you became a health care provider to begin with. Communication is so important not just filling out paperwork and calenders. Truthfulness is so important. Dishonesty will not help, to just passover an employees concerns. Back your staff don't let them feel like you have left them hanging out there ,with no recourse. It's not personal it's business type of attitude, can only work so for long.