Southern Careers Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jacob Mayhew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay; co-workers; commute; helping students; Great to work at if you're not Admissions or Teaching Staff; (in 5 reviews)

• Career school that helps lower income individuals get necessary skills to secure full time employment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Drama filled upper management style (in 4 reviews)

• This is a fast paced environment and unfortunately not the right environment for everyone (in 3 reviews)

"Administration"

Current Employee - Director of Education Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Education Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Equal with all employees
    Happy and fun place to work
    Change lives
    Students and employees come first
    Great new campus

Cons

Have no complaints
    Everyone works hard as a team and all departments are motivated to help each other . Hope one day they get automotive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work !

"Amazing place to work if the management team likes you."

Former Employee - Student Recruiter in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Student Recruiter in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management provides a lot of great training. The campus is beautiful inside and out. The instructors are amazing and really work hard to support the sales team and students.

Cons

When you first start in admissions it takes a while to prove yourself to get on lead rotation. The management team really has to like you in order to succeed. It's almost like being high school where it's a popularity contest. One thing I despised is always working on paid holidays and working almost every Saturday. The company should really reevaluate the balance of work and personal time.

Advice to Management

Give everyone an opportunity to succeed by distributing leads fairly. Make employees feel welcome by providing a caring and supportive environment right when new employees start. The management team needs to fight harder to let employees take paid holidays off.

3. "A Workplace with Integrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This career school is truly committed to its students. Every decision made and direction taken is based on what is in the best interest of the students. It also does many things for its employees, including conducting an opinion survey every year. The company then selects the top 3-4 items to focus on improving in the coming year.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment and unfortunately not the right environment for everyone.

Advice to Management

Nothing

4. "Southern Careers cares about their students"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the Austin campus you can feel in the air the care and commitment the faculty and staff have for the students. I believe both the students and employees enjoy being at the campus

Cons

I can't think of any at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work team Austin!

5. "My New Life at SCI"

Current Employee - Welding Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Welding Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SCI treats their staff with respect and appreciation. They value our input and are more than willing to make changes that will benefit the students. The structure here makes this the least stressful job I've had in years. It is a pleasure to come into work everyday.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say at this point.

Advice to Management

Learn the safety for all the trades that you deal with daily. You are the example.

"Admissions Rep"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay and full time benefits

Cons

everything. they motivate employees by threatening to fire you. a what can you do for me now environment. crappy work life balance, work basically every Saturday and even on holidays they are supposed to give you off. no room to grow within the company. upper management doesn't care about their employees. Let's call a spade a spade and at the end of the day the job is to call unmotivated people get them $10,000 in debt to make $10 an hour and in a career field that is not the food industry or manual labor.

Advice to Management

dont motivate with threats. Learn work-life balance.

Southern Careers Institute Response

Jun 13, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

We regret to hear that you had this experience with us. Please reach out to us at your earliest convenience so we may further assist you in working towards a resolution. Southern Careers Institute... More

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being given the opportunity to help someone change their careers and lives through education is very rewarding.

Cons

Drama filled upper management style. Upper management that lose their tempers and say things that I wouldn't even say to my kids. Really sad to see such a long established Texas career school be run so poorly. Insurance benefits are only good if you are single. Being threatened to be fired as opposed to trained.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, train them, ensure they are happy instead of threatening them with their jobs. Promote from within instead of hiring out of state people that you knew from a previously failed school.

"condition"

Current Employee - Cashier in South Padre Isl E, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in South Padre Isl E, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, if you want to get your certificate quickly as possible.

Cons

Not good at all, awful I would rather go to a actual college and get my degree there, they make you pay a payment top of that extra payment when your done, and they promise to help you find a job, but they really don't at all. I wouldn't waste my time unless you wanna be stuck with a bill at the end and not get a Job why bother.

Advice to Management

Promise what you preach.

"Another Campus Director Gone"

Former Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX

I worked at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students ..... that's about it!

Cons

If they can find someone to accept the position .......that will make 3 this year alone. That may be a new record! Pitiful even by SCI starndards.

Advice to Management

The "boys" need to get it together!

10. "Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brownsville, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time

Pros

Leadership team that has transformed SCI into a place of new ideas and vision in a short amount of time.

Cons

Some employees that don't work hard and want to just get a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Additional development opportunities to grow upward in the company.