Southern Careers Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2019

4.3
Jacob Mayhew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment Fun and uplifting" (in 13 reviews)

• "Excellent working environment, I truly enjoy what I do, helping students" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only bad thing I have to say is that our parking lot is extremely dark" (in 11 reviews)

• "there are no cons to working here" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Love it"

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, decent pay, recognition

Cons

I cant think of any

Feb 5, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

We are so happy you enjoy working here!

2. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is very fast paced and focused on changing people lives. It is a demanding but rewarding job. I have been doing this for over two years now and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing my students graduate and find jobs in their new career.

Cons

This company is very fast paced. It is a demanding but rewarding job, but nor for everyone. It can be difficult to manage a work-life balance.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Tough but Rewarding"

Current Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Admissions in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing Lives, and making a difference in persons lives.

Cons

This position is not for everyone. It is stressful, and demanding. You are required to work long hours at times. Just like being an NFL player is not for everyone. you have to have the Right skill set.

Advice to Management

Intimidation and instilling fear only goes so far. A team will crumble eventually.

"Underpaid & Shady Shady"

Pros

I can’t think of any without giving away what department or location I worked for.

Cons

If you know how to do your job that’s great because you will be doing other people’s job as well with half the salary.
    Don’t bother complaining to HR she talks to the managers about the complaints. Then your really disliked. All employees talk so word gets around about how management treats you. The CFO likes to look at you up and down in judgement as you talk with her.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CFO and HR. Appreciate your employees who do bust their butts and do their job. Don’t reward bad behavior. If your going to manipulate the ratings here you might not request your employees to write raving reviews all in the same day with the same answers.

Feb 19, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. It was an uncommon instance as we do appreciate all of our employees and the work they do to help change... More

"Tired of threats and cliques"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the students; they make the job worthwhile.

Cons

I'm tired of repeated long hours. It's very wearing to start the shift at 7:30 am and still be on campus teaching until 9:20 (sometimes later) pm. When I was new I was told instructors were on a 3 class rotation yet I have been repeatedly the instructor stuck in the cycle. I've also been told that if I had 3 classes, I wouldn't have any directed studies but I've had directed studies for every mod that I've taught. But then again, I am on salary, and I can be used as they see fit.

The school is all about numbers and we are repeatedly threatened with disciplinary action if we don't bring in a certain number of re-entries or if we have too many drops or if our attendance falls below 85%. All of these are situations behind any instructor's control.

And if the DOE doesn't find favor with you, regardless of how the students feel about you, your head is on the chopping block. This was never my idea of teaching.

Advice to Management

Let me teach! Don't make the instructors responsible for situations beyond their control. And don't promise students things that you cannot deliver upon.

Jan 2, 2019 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your honest feedback. Here at Southern Careers Institute, we are always looking for ways to improve; we appreciate your input. If you would be willing, we... More

6. "Great company to work at - good potential"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to grow
    Supportive Management
    Tons of work

Cons

None that come to mind

"Admissions online"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Come on can't you see all the reviews were written for WOZ U and SCI all in May! Do you think that everyone decided one day to write a review. Use your head.

Cons

Everything. Old enrollment predatory practice. Based on numbers not human beings that most are not even qualified for a program. These students are paying ridiculous amount of money for poor education. Placement. That's a joke. So sad. Are they really desperate for money to enroll student in the online division who don't even own a computer. Tell them to use the library when they don't even have transportation or childcare! I was sick every day. I needed a check. I finally just quit without a job. I could not sleep at night knowing I may have hurt someone's financial future or a future to college education. Can't do that if they use up all there undergrad money and decided to go to a regionally accredited instituon as credits don't typically transfer to a real state school which is much less money! So sad. It forced me to realize I will never work in an industry like thus again. I work at a real university, truly help people and yes, get a master's degree from major university's for 13 to 15k where sci or WOZ sane group for 13 to 20 k for a worthless diploma. Don't do it if you have morals. Would you want your child or friend to fall for this predatory enrollment. Please dont.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate, stop hiring the all boys club give people with real experience and who actually have leadership experience a chance. Not outside smoking away and talking about each other.. sad.

"Career Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and they students are great to work with

Cons

They treat their employees horribly, they don't care about protecting them (even if they do not feel safe anymore), and nobody communicates.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, listen to your employees, stop pointing fingers, and actually care about us and the students.

9. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowing that I can make a positive impact on students lives.

Cons

Don't have any at this time

10. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture of academic success...faculty is driven to ensure career success for every student. Stress-free work environment.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work 👍