Southern Careers Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 1, 2018

4.4
Jacob Mayhew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment Fun and uplifting" (in 13 reviews)

• "Excellent working environment, I truly enjoy what I do, helping students" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only bad thing I have to say is that our parking lot is extremely dark" (in 11 reviews)

• "there are no cons to working here" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great company to work at - good potential"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to grow
    Supportive Management
    Tons of work

Cons

None that come to mind

"Admissions online"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Come on can't you see all the reviews were written for WOZ U and SCI all in May! Do you think that everyone decided one day to write a review. Use your head.

Cons

Everything. Old enrollment predatory practice. Based on numbers not human beings that most are not even qualified for a program. These students are paying ridiculous amount of money for poor education. Placement. That's a joke. So sad. Are they really desperate for money to enroll student in the online division who don't even own a computer. Tell them to use the library when they don't even have transportation or childcare! I was sick every day. I needed a check. I finally just quit without a job. I could not sleep at night knowing I may have hurt someone's financial future or a future to college education. Can't do that if they use up all there undergrad money and decided to go to a regionally accredited instituon as credits don't typically transfer to a real state school which is much less money! So sad. It forced me to realize I will never work in an industry like thus again. I work at a real university, truly help people and yes, get a master's degree from major university's for 13 to 15k where sci or WOZ sane group for 13 to 20 k for a worthless diploma. Don't do it if you have morals. Would you want your child or friend to fall for this predatory enrollment. Please dont.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate, stop hiring the all boys club give people with real experience and who actually have leadership experience a chance. Not outside smoking away and talking about each other.. sad.

"Career Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and they students are great to work with

Cons

They treat their employees horribly, they don't care about protecting them (even if they do not feel safe anymore), and nobody communicates.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites, listen to your employees, stop pointing fingers, and actually care about us and the students.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is solid. The people are amazing and the opportunity to change someone's life makes coming to work extremely satisfying.

Cons

It is a very FAST paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

5. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

everyday i come to work its like being with family. the culture is amazing, coworkers are great. love the benefits as well

Cons

No cons at this time.

6. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowing that I can make a positive impact on students lives.

Cons

Don't have any at this time

7. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture of academic success...faculty is driven to ensure career success for every student. Stress-free work environment.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work 👍

8. "Adjunct HVAC Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct HVAC Instructor in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct HVAC Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great academic success! The students strive to learn. Here at the SCI Harlingen campus no student is left behind! We work together to ensure great career success for every student! We work as a family and treat our students as family as well!

Cons

Parking lot is kind of small. But our SCI parking lot is always full, and I guess that's a good thing!

Advice to Management

Great job on working all together! Keep up the great work, SCI Harlingen campus!

9. "Teaching"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

SCI has given me the opportunity to do what I love and enjoy doing for a living ….teaching young adults. The fruits one ones labors are immediately recognized and visualized in the outcome of our successful students. The fact that I, as are my co-instructors, are responsible for the success of our students solidifies my commitment to continue doing what I am doing. Thank You SCI for allowing me to be part of some ones road to success.

Cons

Non other than that times flies.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring our students as you have been doing. Great Job!

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Southern Careers Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work and efforts. We all really care about the students and go above and beyond to help cater to their needs. Great HR department to help employees when needed. They listen to feedback and are always looking for great and innovative ideas from everyone.

Cons

There are changes happening often , so you need to be adaptable in all areas.

Advice to Management

Higher annual raises.