KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Southern Careers Institute Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2021

Found 226 of over 236 reviews

4.4
Southern Careers Institute Chief Executive Officer Jacob Mayhew (no image)
Jacob Mayhew
Pros
  • "I've learned so much because SCI gives you ample opportunity(in 33 reviews)

• "The work environment is fast paced but so exciting and rewarding(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only bad thing I have to say is that our parking lot is extremely dark(in 11 reviews)

• "SCI provides a Great Mission statement no cons(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Southern Careers Institute and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Review

Sep 9, 2021 - Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent, easy going , positive great

Cons

Nothing is wrong with this company

VP, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a response! We love to hear from former employees and how your experience was with us from start to finish.

2. 4.0

Growing every day

Sep 2, 2021 - Admissions Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, we support each other, encourage each other and work well together. Recognized for hard work. Opportunity to grow both title and salary if you work hard, rewarding to help others make changes when you know this can really help them, instead of a 50k education and mass debt. Our Tuition is affordable and realistic for our demographic. We offer in school grants which I’ve never had offered at any prior institution I’ve worked at.

Cons

We aren’t cross trained on programs and offerings, more transparency and communication among campuses. Making sure program Information provided to potential students is truthful by having proper knowledge (ie requirements, hours, support teams) and doing what’s best for the student (online/ground, programs available/students desires, considering employment, resources and location) and setting students up for success, not failure for the sake of enrollment. Being more supported as the non brick and mortar location, feels like we’re headed in that direction more now than ever. Benefits are expensive for middle line, 600$ month for family. Good PTO and vacations

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We really love to hear what you feel like we can improve on so if you have time to please send us an email to hr@scitexas.edu.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rewarding position

May 14, 2021 - Admissions Representative in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an admission rep you have the ability to change many lives. Although there are metrics to be met, throughout your time meeting those numbers you realize each number is a person that you are going to help find a new career. You also gain knowledge in every field that you are placing these students in. Becoming a better sales person is apart of this job, no matter how much experience you had before, SCI is different and you will learn different techniques and skills to become the best. Last but not least, becoming personable. You are able to have conversations with your students and relate to their situations and help them become responsible and complete the program to become a professional in their field.

Cons

The cons of this position is it can be stressful at times. You have to learn that you can’t control everything and their will be students that just don’t except the help we provide. This is also not a 9-5 job where you have the same schedule and routine every single day. Every day is a new day and having a passion for these students futures might be time consuming, but it’s worth it.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Southern Careers Institute! We appreciate all of the hard work from our employees to be able to make these improvements.

4. 5.0

Rewarding Job

Aug 10, 2021 - Admissions Representative in Harlingen, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to help people go into a career. We get to help them plan out what they want to do and help them enroll into a program that will help them meet their goals.

Cons

I dont have any cons at this time. Everything is going well without any issues .

VP, Human Resources

Thanks for taking your time to leave a review! We are glad to hear that you felt like working with us was rewarding.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

High turnover

Jul 25, 2021 - Career Services Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s rewarding when you can help students or graduates land a job in their new career field that is a great fit.

Cons

Priorities change frequently-you may spend a lot of time and effort on a project you’ve been told is a high priority, with incomplete and conflicting guidance, only to find your work in another area has been deemed unsatisfactory when you didn’t have enough time to do that part of the job well.

6. 4.0

Not too bad

Aug 26, 2021 - Admissions Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work and Working with students

Cons

Students from all different time zones

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! It is especially great to hear from former employees and how they feel after leaving.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Low pay

Aug 8, 2021 - Instructor
      Business Outlook

Pros

There was a really great team of people working there which made it nice. The school has the potential to be amazing if instructors were paid well or even de ent.

Cons

Working 60 hours salary when void hit. Clearing minimum wage which was ridiculous! Some chisme which added to the stress.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Employee Review

Mar 4, 2021 - Career Services Manager in Waco, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

SCI truly believes in their mission! They not only care for the students and employees but also do their very best to live the company values through and through. This organization is filled to the brim with purpose and can be extremely internally rewarding. This is definitely a place for people who dislike complacency and enjoy fast-paced work environments. The leaders challenge you to do your very best and think outside the box, with support and encouragement along the way, which definitely leads to growth!

Cons

While the culture is well on its' way to perfection, like most companies, we still have a little more work to do (it can take time to weed out "culture killers"). Those who just want an "easy" "job" will not be happy or last. This work is not for you if you struggle receiving feedback or being pushed to do better. While this is done to make us and our company better, not everyone feels that they can do more or be better. Apply if you are ready to be helped towards reaching your FULLEST potential!

Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Southern Careers Institute! We are appreciative of your dedication to helping students succeed, and for being part of the team. If you’d like to provide further feedback, please send an email to hr@scitexas.edu.

9. 5.0

Southern Careers got me going to the jobs I want

Jun 6, 2021 - Cerified Phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's an excellent place to study about many different skills in The Medical field. I really liked the online classes it is very helpful for not having a ride to class.

Cons

I'd like to not say . Thank you.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Southern Careers Institute! We appreciate all of the hard work from our employees and students.

10. 5.0

Great place to grow!!

May 17, 2021 - Director of Education in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are looking for growth, this place is excellent. Team and friendly environment. If you want to be successful, this is the place to be. Great culture and atmosphere to all employees.

Cons

No down said at this company.

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Southern Careers Institute! We appreciate all of the hard work from our employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 226 Reviews