Southern Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning
Thomas A. Fanning

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Corporate doesn't share plans with subsidiaries, performance reviews very much a good old boy network (in 8 reviews)

• Work-life balance leans more heavily towards work (in 8 reviews)

1. "Terrible leadership"

I worked at Southern Company full-time

Pros

Great benefits and pay annual

Cons

Corrupt leadership, abuse, misappropriation of funds

2. "Nuclear Plant Operations"

Former Employee - Systems Operator in Baxley, GA
    Former Employee - Systems Operator in Baxley, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- High pay and key-hole career advancement opportunities in nuclear plant operations

Cons

- Poor work-life balance (night and weekend shifts)
    - Poor relations between operations and engineering departments (makes cross-departmental career advancement tricky)
    - Southern Nuclear has no defined career development path for engineers.
    - Once hired into an operations role at a nuclear plant, management is not going to let you leave. The training investment turns you into a breathing monetary asset. Even if you make a compelling case that you're better at a different area or need a schedule change for family or health reasons, you will find yourself back in the operations camp soon enough.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to advance into areas where they are talented and skilled. Do not force an employee into a role which is stressful and a poor fit simply because the individual is "already trained". Ask your engineers what areas of the business interests them, and if they are high performers, help them get there.

3. "Company Sucks"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Southern Company as a contractor

Pros

Never again will I waste my time..

Cons

Rip off can't get paid..

"STAY AWAY unless you want to kill your career...."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at Southern Company and Georgia Power full-time (More than a year)
    Pros
    Great place to work in terms of coworkers. Very friendly environment, even though work force is on average older. People here are very proud of the company and its history. Most employees have been here 6+ years and take great pride in their work and time spent here. At first impression, it seems the Company is highly invested in employee development, with mentor programs and employee resource groups. They have several Mentor programs, rotational opportunities and student of the business learning sessions to see and learn about different areas of the business.

Cons

Work-life balance is a sham. At first it may seem that the hours are reasonable, but slowly more and more work is dumped on you. Upward advancement is very difficult and takes a very long time (less than half the pace of other companies). The culture places heavy emphasis on word of mouth and networking. The company doesn't invest in developing and growing its employees. They are seen as worker bees while those at manager levels and above rotate and take on different opportunities. Networking, mentoring and rotational opportunities are quite limited at non-management levels once you really start to understand the Company and its culture. If you are interested in advancing your career and taking on leadership roles, I would not recommend Southern Company. If you want a 9-5 job, put your head down and stay a worker bee, then this place is for you. The company also doesn't encourage diversity (age, outside work experience, race, gender) nor does it value differing opinions.

Advice to Management

GET WITH THE TIMES! It is 2016 - the future workforce looks more diverse and is much younger. You will need to cater to the needs of a changing population that will also be seen in your customers. Millenials actually care about their careers and want to grow, develop and take on leadership roles. The workerbee work force of the 70s is gone! Women will no longer keep their head down, be polite, smile and look pretty in dresses and skirts for the men. They have opinions, ideas and brains too.

"Company has Snakes... Big Ones."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montgomery, AL

Pros

Benefits are great, work-life balance is ok....

Cons

Slow to promote within if you are not apart of the right clique. Managers will lie to your face. Managers let cliques in the office live until someone is about to fight. Issues are not addressed in regards to employees not getting along. There are some seasoned employees that get the big head and treat newbies rudely. For customer service duties, in this job you will be paid below average.

Advice to Management

You need to clean up your upper management. They have the mindset that they can do what they want with no consequences, which in many cases is correct. Promote from within with loyal qualified employees before you bring someone new in. Appreciate the fact that customer service reps are the front line to your customers and most of the time get blessed out everyday with low pay.

"Document Control Specialist"

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Inverness, AL
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Inverness, AL

Pros

The location had a gym and a decent cafeteria.

Cons

The monopoly that is Southern Company is terrible. The feudal system under which contract workers there operate is entirely unfair. The nepotism of this place is ridiculous. The mere notion that you would have someone work a contract position anywhere from 10-15 years and yet you offer permanent positions to underqualified new contract workers simply because they have family that are employees is terrible. This company has 100's of contractors that make up 50-55% of their staff and yet these people are strung along for years and treated like sub standard human beings. Fortunately, I negotiated a decent wage with my contractor, so it made the politics worth my time. However, this was only for a short while.

Advice to Management

Restructure your employment policies and hire from the contractors that have been loyal for years.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazlehurst, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazlehurst, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, dedicated co-workers, decent benefits

Cons

Poor management, toxic/oppressive work environment, blatant nepotism

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent and contributions of your employees

"Superviosr"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

Pros

I do not have 5 positive words to say about this company

Cons

This company is not what it is perceived to be by the public

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would expect to be treated

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Contractor in Canton, GA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Canton, GA

I have been working at Southern Company (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with most employees staying for their entire career.
    Nice building with comfortable amenities.
    Many nice people as coworkers
    Lots of business processes to learn keeping things exciting

Cons

Values are not held and followed
    Bad behavior and unprofessional actions are rewarded
    Mid level leadership lacks management skills
    Political atmosphere is overbearing

"Minority? Female? Want to be challenged? Don't work here!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Honestly that's it. If you want an easy job where you can coast your way to retirement, this is the place for you.

Cons

I was berated by a coworker to the point of tears on a near daily basis, in front of other people. I talked to 3 managers about the situation, and the net result was me being told that he was an asset to the company, and that I was the one who needed to change. Later came to find out he had a history of PHYSICALLY assaulting female coworkers, yet still had a job there several years later, because he was an "asset" (who I caught multiple times sleeping at his desk when he wouldn't answer my phone calls).

Minority friends of mine, who were contractors at the company, were called a racial slur by their supervisor in response to accidentally dropping a box on his foot.

In summary, blatant HR issues were merely swept under the rug and the victims were more or less told to get over it.

I was also not given any challenging work and was forced into a role I was not hired for. I got the impression that Southern Company was a company people joined for the sole purpose of getting good retirement benefits rather than being challenged to learn, grow, and develop their careers. My interview consisted of going to lunch with the hiring manager and a coworker. I was asked maybe 3 experience-related questions and that was about it. Impossible to move up because no one gets fired and rarely ever quits, so you have to wait for someone to retire to move into a new position.

Advice to Management

Get off your "good ol' boy" high horse and start treating minority and female employees as actual people.