Southern Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning
Thomas A. Fanning

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance leans more heavily towards work (in 6 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management can seem like they don't know or have forgotten how things actually get done in the real world (in 8 reviews)

1. "Lost it's shine"

I have been working at Southern Company full-time

Pros

Medical, dental, 401k, good benefits.

Cons

Mixed messages from management regarding future.

2. "Beware all who enter."

Current Employee - Systems Operator in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Operator in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High paying good benefits

Cons

Terrible management, poor work life balance, not much room for promotions unless you are in the good ole boys club. Unsafe.

Advice to Management

Worry more about developing your most valuable assets aka your people.

3. "Layoffs"

I have been working at Southern Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits, one of the only companies with pension

Cons

Currently doing lots of layoffs

5. "southern company"

I worked at Southern Company full-time

Pros

pay benefits the fellow employees

Cons

Good old boy network

Advice to Management

You will lose good employee due to leadership or that's lacking

"Stable business model or at least it was"

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employment here makes you part of a regulated monopoly which brings stability not often found in today's world.

The company benefits from attracting local talent that wants to work and live where they grew up so you certainly get to work with talented people.

It's a proud company that believes in itself and many of their work environments feel like being part of a family.

Cons

If you're a revolutionary and want to change the world, you will find employment here to be frustrating.

This industry is undergoing tremendous change. It will be a slow death for utilities but death nonetheless. And the culture simply isn't capable of adapting fast enough to save itself. Do you want to spend your career being part of an environment capable or incapable of evolving?

You don't have to be a savvy networker to move up here but if you want to keep your head down, do good work, get noticed for your results, and get promoted then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Massive HUGE extraordinary unbelievable change is required to modernize in a way that allows this company to remain a respected, industry leader. The only changes I observed were incremental (at best) and fell well short of the radical change required. This cannot be achieved with personnel who grew up in an environment where this was not observed, encouraged, or ever achieved by anyone at anytime in the organization. Do what is necessary to shake things up or continue on the path of slow death.

"A good place to work if you don't like change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable company, decent pay, decent benefits.

Cons

Very cliquey environment, lots of gossip, nepotism, slow to get anything done, resistant to change, resistant to adjusting methods for efficiency. Seemingly looking for 'yes men' rather than new, fresh ideas. Sometimes a very toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive of new ideas and more efficient methods of completing tasks rather than sticking to the 'this is the way we've done it for years' methodology. Get rid of passive aggressive managers. Relax the dress code.

"Once enjoyed the job, now not so much."

Current Employee - Engineer in Georgia, AL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Georgia, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits area very good. Pay can be good until you reach the high end of your grade level, then raises are very small. Bonuses are great, 10% and up depending on your level.

Cons

If your over 50, management wants you gone. I'm surprised there hasn't been an age discrimination suit. Performance reviews are a joke. They are not based on your results, but on whether or not the VP likes you. Your boss may give you a good rating, but your VP may lower it based on no good reason. I wish we would just stop doing reviews. All they do is kill morale. Also, you can be a loyal, hard working employee for 30 to 40 years, work your way up to a higher level, then suddenly be demoted because a new VP wants to demonstrate how good he is at cutting cost. You have no air cover unless you have a "sponsor". Politics and Nepotism are a way of life. Also, stay away from Engineering and Construction Services. They are the worst.The reorganize constantly. Managers manage up and only care how you make them look. One manager told me once I wasn't political enough. I used to enjoy my work. Now I'm constantly under a cloud of fear.

Advice to Management

Serve your employees. Don't just be yes men and women for those above you. Do what is right. Support and encourage your employees.

"Southern Company / APC"

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Senior management is all about their huge bonuses-- not interested in anything but how soon they can retire and by going out with the biggest job title and grade

"Former application administrator"

I worked at Southern Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, I think that's the only thing I can think of.

Cons

Where do I begin? Middle managers get moved all the time, almost every 3 years, other employees... Forget about it!!!!
    Your manager will have no experience in what you do. Then they will hire someone with less experience and more pay than you, and you have to train them...what????

You tell your manager about your long term goals they suggest you create some kind of action plan to put it in motion. But what you don't know is there are middle managers secret meetings, and they talk amongst themselves on who should get promoted and more money. So if other managers never heard of you, your not budging. Or if you hang around a 'bad seed' at work, they'll consider you a bad seed as well, No promotion.

Pay is too low for the craziness... Your best option is being a contractor, but to them you're an indentured slave. Good luck!!!!

Advice to Management

Bring in external managers, fresh set of eyes because the inbreeding that happens here is ridiculous.

"Things aren't so pretty on the inside"

Former Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The pay is decent, and the annual bonuses are really nice. They have excellent benefits, including a pension! The people who work there are mostly nice, and you can move around within the company pretty often, if you want to.

Cons

I worked in two engineering departments, and the training I received was horrible! As a result, my performance wasn't good. I tried to "catch up" to where I needed to be after my first year, but I was not able to. I was often told "You'll figure out what works best for you" and everybody does things differently. Doing things differently is one thing, but when one person shows you something and another person looks at it and claims it's wrong when it isn't, it can be frustrating. At some point, it appeared to me that I was black listed, and management took a poor attitude toward me. I was told "We want you to succeed," but they were empty words. A coworker of mine who just left the company refers to it as "toxic," and I agree. Also, after giving it a great deal of thought after watching my first annual stockholder meeting, I began to have a sinking feeling in my stomach. I considered all the people who struggle to pay their light bill each month versus, what the company refers to as, "sales!" What a joke! The company brags about increasing their dividend for however many consecutive years. Great for investors, low income people, not so much. So, I began to feel bad for being a part of that. Sure, not everyone will have those feelings, and believe me, I'm no bleeding heart liberal or anything. Still, it didn't feel right. Finally, I think this will sum things up pretty well, is the diversity issue. The company prides itself on having a great deal of diversity, which it does, and is great. However, when you're in a corporate meeting of the Alabama Power headquarters with basically half the building's staff, praying to Jesus is not consistent with said diversity. Maybe some nondescript prayer would be acceptable if prayer is necessary at a corporate meeting, but there simply has to be many, many employees in the meeting who worship another god. To me, the hypocrisy running through that place is sickening, and I'm so glad to no longer work there.

Advice to Management

Standardize the training program for office engineering jobs. Individual mentors do not train similarly, everybody does things differently, and some people even train people incorrectly. To one person, something is correct, others it's wrong, when in fact neither is wrong; it's preference. Also, get real about inconsistencies that lead people to conclude hypocrisy.