Southern Company "nuclear" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Southern Company Employee Reviews about "nuclear"

Updated Dec 15, 2018

3.8
Southern Company CEO Thomas A. Fanning
Thomas A. Fanning
Pros
Cons
  • "Not family oriented(work life balance) if working in the plants(in 21 reviews)

• "I am a computer engineer so the nuclear scene wasn't as attractive as I thought(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "nuclear"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Technical Coop in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, good people, great benefits, best bonus package I've seen, good annual raise

Cons

The only one I can think of is starting base pay isn't competitive with the nuclear industry.

Southern Company2016-02-26
  2. "Large company with good pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Columbia, AL

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work is challenging and the people are great to work with. Pay, benefits, and bonuses are very good.

Cons

I work for Southern Nuclear. The industry oversight is a bear. The company bends over backwards to please people from the industry (INPO), even though the government regulator thinks we're doing fine. As a result, the leadership style has become authoritative and even hostile at times.

Advice to Management

Give more thought to whether comments from organizations or people (who are there simply to find something to call wrong) are worth driving down morale and losing experienced people in the process.

Southern Company2018-12-15

"Once Great, now sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Southern Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for an operations company, Georgia Power, Alabama Power, etc best option. Not SCS Engineering.

Cons

Company appears to shine, but don't let it fool you. Poor management and decisions by former executives given golden parachutes has cost jobs for many loyal employees. Kemper County and nuclear overruns being paid for by selling assets and laying off employees. But for an investor, they will make dividends no matter what.

Advice to Management

Tom, looking back now it seems Wingo was right. Who was held accountable, and not retained as a "consultant"? How many jobs has it cost? What has it done to a once great utility with a great engineering service group? Your operating companies don't want to use SCS Engineering and it is going away. SCS is poorly run by weak leaders and don't value the knowledge of their employees. Image and not truth have ruled, but eventually that fades also. Advice, stop making the people doing the work pay for the failures of your management.

Southern Company2018-09-29
  4. "Good overall with some comments"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits, and good salary for where I live. Work can be technically challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Nuclear side is very intense, with a continuing trend of doing more with less. Supervisors and managers are usually pulled outside of core duties to be effective in their role.

Advice to Management

If you want to save on O&M costs, use the opportunities you have to get rid of ineffective or unproductive employees. Also, if supervisors and managers spend more time in meetings than with their direct reports, then they can't really manage their people

Southern Company2018-05-11
  5. "It was Nuclear!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Southern Company

Pros

Everyone is very nice and wants to help you out. Its a lot of information to memorize, training to do, but not too bad.

Cons

Not necessarily for me. I am a computer engineer so the nuclear scene wasn't as attractive as I thought.

Southern Company2018-02-07
  6. "Systems Engineer Co-Op"

Former Intern - Mechanical Systems Engineer in Waynesboro, GA

I worked at Southern Company for less than a year

Pros

Free Housing, Great place to work as a mechanical engineer as you are exposed to multiple systems and the company is invested in your growth.

Cons

The stability and lack of diversity in the Nuclear industry made the work place especially boring as it was filled with older Caucasian males

Southern Company2018-02-01
  7. "Southern Nuclear Review"

Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op

I have been working at Southern Company for more than a year

Pros

Southern Nuclear (the subsidiary I work for) has great medical coverage. The pay is above average as well. The people are your usual sort of co-workers, most good, some bad. Safety culture and conservative decision making is highly encouraged. Co-ops work core business hours, no overtime necessary.

Cons

Nuclear is a "special" industry. If you are coming from a non-nuclear background, be prepared for some tasks to take up to four times as long to complete due to a lot of paperwork and reviews.

Advice to Management

Value engineers judgement and fix degraded equipment before it costs a whole lot more to replace it when it fails.

Southern Company2017-07-19
  8. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation, benefits, pension; forward looking company

Cons

Many jobs in Southern Nuclear can be stressful due to the stringent requirements

Southern Company2017-02-28

"Great place to work... sort of"

in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Southern Company

Pros

Southern Company has great people and that is the main reason for the 4 star rating. The company is changing direction towards wind, solar and nuclear generation with less emphasis on coal fired generation.

Cons

There is way too much emphasis on fast career movement. If you don't move fast enough you will be sidelined and lose sponsors. Employees used to be the greatest asset of Southern Company. I think somebody lost sight of that.

Advice to Management

A change of leadership is required to maintain Southern Company's position in the utility industry. I am a stockholder and I hope that the right changes are made soon. Good Luck !

Southern Company2016-08-18

"Great retirement job"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Southern Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

has a pension and a 401k, good pay especially at the nuclear facilities. dental is mediocre, health care is good. all benefit time is good, lots of time off for parents with babies. This is generally a boring safe job very similar to their stock. you shouldn't plan to go anywhere fast.

Cons

S. Ga is an aweful place to live. high heat, gnats and churches. Nothing against church but if you want to move up you better belong to or marry someone from the same church. If you are an outsider you will not be interviewed for advancement. Fried chicken, lots of it and no other choices.

Advice to Management

diversity is killing the talent pool, people hired for racial "quota" can not perform the job

Southern Company2016-07-25