Southern Graphic Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southern Graphic Systems CEO Aidan Tracey
Aidan Tracey

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, pleasant co-workers (in 4 reviews)

• Decent benefits,some really great and talented co-workers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Often overtime is required, and while you are paid for it - it is not so great for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Poor management, no support, no reviews and raises are almost non existent (in 3 reviews)

"SGS"

Pros

Used to be a great company before they lost customer focus

Cons

Loyalty to the work force is horrible

"Company in the midst of change"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Dedicated , excellent employees devoted to getting the best job done and meeting changing and sometimes tight deadlines. Initially had a very cohesive "in this together let's get it done" familial type atmosphere where one felt valued. 401K match and other benefits though out of touch with health insurance needs and costs.

Cons

After an ownership change the whole atmosphere changed. No feeling of "in it together" or valuing of the teams or individuals. Constantly shifting goals and a priority away from former strengths to focus on new goals. Layoffs and reshuffling of staff and management in a fashion that seems ill considered and changeable. Expansion and growth in areas that compromise former base and strengths. This is from top level. In general, actual in- house managers remain employee oriented and care about production and employees.

Advice to Management

Actual communication. Everything is whispered and a surprise. Emails and updates from the actual people involved in the individual plants running would help morale and allow employees to understand goals and what is happening.

"Poor Management/average pay/benefits"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean office, friendly co workers, average pay, benefits decent

Cons

Poor Management, no reviews, salary freeze, SGS is a corporation so it's a number cruncher, without heart the corporation will lay off employees regardless of their best efforts

Advice to Management

Upper Management should not be based on seniority

"Environment"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are talented people, decent pay, very busy work environment. Hours are decent. Get to see new products and art.

Cons

Negative work environment, rumor based environment. Doesn't train new employees or is very accepting of new employees. Employees are not happy

Advice to Management

Train people and talk to people. Stop listening to what other people hear. Go to the source.

"I am quitting"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros for me anymore . After 15 years of loyal service I am going to leave .

Cons

The health benefits enrollment cane around again . Guess what ? We got screwed again . It's a pay cut whatever way you look at it . Every year my paycheck is smaller . Time to go

Advice to Management

The communications officer will post a response "we are looking into this and have a plan in place for reviews " well where is it ?? Monday has heard about it !

7. "Graphic Artist"

Pros

There are a lot of talented workers in the company.

Cons

New upper management has no clue.

8. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator I in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator I in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct management is great. They care about their employees.

Cons

Pay isn't exceptional when compared to other companies in the area

"Changes within company"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Great company and long time employees that are fiercely dedicated. Good reputation in the trades. Acquiring new companies to expand talent and product offerings.

Cons

Maybe paid too much for the company, requiring management to push sales and employees too hard. Losing good, talented people and gaining managers.

Advice to Management

The company was build on the backs of talented, loyal, hard working employees who seemed to function more like a large family. Honor that and then, while bringing in new services, tie them all together in a cohesive brand/marketing/service company.

"Graphic proofing technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime available. Competitive pay. Benefits are average. Job security. There isn't much more other than what I listed.

Cons

Minimal room for growth. No potential for reviews or post increases. 12 hr night shifts. Work at least every other weekend. No profit sharing or any other incentives.

Advice to Management

Share a small fraction of the company's success and value your employees. Offer incentives instead of continually taking more off the table that was once offered by the company. Implement better work hours.

"Production Artist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Accounts, Good People. Plenty of opportunity for any employees to make suggestions and make a difference to the workflows.

Cons

Closing our plant in the Suburbs... Moving us to the City. This doesn't work for many of us. Which has forced us to move on.

Advice to Management

Downtown office may be great for Marketing and Sales. As far as a production shop location... Not so good. Everything about the city is expensive. But most importantly, its the time LOST to crazy long commute times. 2 + hours a day in a car / train, is a waste of life. No Job is worth that!