Southern Graphic Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Southern Graphic Systems CEO Aidan Tracey
Aidan Tracey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, modern computers and new building (in 7 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, pleasant co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Often overtime is required, and while you are paid for it - it is not so great for work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• There have been no raises for many years and this year 401K matching has been taken away along with forced time off without pay (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great"

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Nice work environment to be in.

Cons

none I have no Cons

"Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and flexible hours including working from home and various work schedules.
    They will work with you if you need to be off work for some reason.

Cons

Benefits are constantly shrinking leaving only the most basic insurance. No incentives. No raises for years. Constantly adding more work but no compensation. Job security is minimal to many. You see people coming and going constantly. It's sad.

Advice to Management

A raise increase for the ones that have been working for years without one would be encouraging . To spread the compensation so all employees get something from their hard work, not just management

"Production/manufacturing"

Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you'd work with use to be there only reason besides a paycheck that was a benefit for working there. But in the end that wasn't even a good reason.

Cons

This location is so over managed serving the managers needs for their benefit and not your own. Recently acquired for sgs having the only printing department made for forced overtime in most production areas. Don're get in trouble by getting hurt I've seen people hung out to dry nothing like ruining people.

Advice to Management

Think before you act. Do not be a consumer of yellow frozen precipitation

"A Venture Capitalist Driven Company is Not Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local environment has great hard working folks that are a pleasure to be around and work with.

Cons

It's become clear that the venture capitalist owners are only in the game for short term profitability at the expense of the employees and long term business. There have been no raises for many years and this year 401K matching has been taken away along with forced time off without pay. Many of my colleagues are becoming increasingly unhappy and disgruntled. Internal reorganizations are occurring for short term gains that are very bad for the companies long term outlook.

Advice to Management

What can you say when venture capitalists run a company in an industry that is being turned on edge. I don't always get the yearly profit I want in my portfolio, I must take the good with the bad. Venture capitalists have the ability to make the bad good for the short term, the long term outlook for SGS is not very good with current direction.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Florence, KY

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

No work life balance, very negative environment

"Great for customers, bad for employees"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in McBee, SC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in McBee, SC

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed office
    Local management is attentive and empathetic

Cons

Benefits package is constantly shrinking
    Wages are stagnant and uncompetitive

7. "Account Manager"

Pros

Good benefits, good health insurance, fun work environment

Cons

Not a lot of growth potential.

Jun 19, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Communications

Thanks for your review.

The compensation roll out should give you more clarity on how you can advance your career at sgsco.

Thanks
    Gabriel, Communications

"Average"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are nice. The building is air-conditioned they have a kitchen and flush toilets at work most of the time.

Cons

No advancement opportunities. No raises, not for merit or for cost-of-living. There is little or no communication from the management

Jun 19, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Communications

Hello,
    We are working on your concerns. We are also working increasing the frequency and quality of communications between all levels of management. If you have any additional questions or... More

9. "Retoucher"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

In my experience at least, SGS has been pretty aggressive about bringing in new business. That's how I came into the company. They are also pretty good about staying current with hardware and software. Coming from a previous employer that wouldn't spend at all on people or technology, it was a nice change.

Cons

New business always has a bit of a learning curve. They weren't always ready for that.

May 18, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Communications

Thank you for your review and your comments.

Part of our strategy is to create a framework to help onboard new clients that should address the issue you raised.

Thanks, Gabriel, Communications

"Don't bother... employees are expendable. There are better players in the business."

Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Are there? Because in retrospect, there were little, if no raises. Maybe a bit of flexibility in hours on my team but other than that... Increases in health insurance yearly, families hit the hardest. Horrible coverage ultimately putting families with children in a bind. Coworkers that mysteriously disappear or leave for better opportunities. Oh are these cons? I wish I had something good to say. I did have some pretty awesome coworkers not appropriately compensated for their effort. Some are already gone/vanished. SAD!

Cons

Promises made that never come to fruition. If you get a raise, it will not even cover cost of living increases. Antiquated equipment that takes forever to get repaired. My boss was barely there, and when that person was, they still weren't "there". I know several on the team looking for other work. Or disappear for hours when the boss isn't in (which is practically every day). Morale is low. I contrast my boss at my job prior to SGS (warm, caring, easy to talk to, valued her staff) to the one I had at SGS. Boss at SGS I observed was cold, if not discriminatory to chronic illness. Profits above people.

Advice to Management

I think it's a lost cause. So many unhappy people. You will not retain talent the road you are going down. I won't be surprised when another corporation swallows you up and the inept finally get their due.

Jun 21, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Communications

Hello,

I agree that we have awesome employees. You were not happy at sgsco and your comments reflect this. I hope you found a position that will provide you everything you are looking for. Best... More