Southern Graphic Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Southern Graphic Systems CEO Aidan Tracey
Aidan Tracey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, modern computers and new building (in 7 reviews)

• Surrounded by good people who are willing to help you grow as well (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Often overtime is required, and while you are paid for it - it is not so great for work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• There have been no raises for many years and this year 401K matching has been taken away along with forced time off without pay (in 7 reviews)

1. "Progressive Company"

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Adapting to the changing needs of the industry, customers and employees

Cons

Nor enough electric charging stations for electric cars

2. "Personal Differences Easily Overcome with a little patience"

Former Employee - Cylinder Maker in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Cylinder Maker in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, pretty good benefits
    Schedule is flexible to an extent
    Overtime is there if you want it
    If you want it, you can get it with a little persistence

Cons

Overtime is asked of you a lot, and it gets pressuring at times
    Machines are being run almost 24/7, causing some maintenance issues
    Everyone has their own way of getting the job done, which can cause some friction

Advice to Management

I honestly never minded coming to work or was surprised at what was expected of me. If the opportunity arises, I'd go back to work here if the pay were just a little better. I got along with just about everyone in the office and on the floor, though there were disagreements and some tempers showed from time to time. I never felt threatened or bullied, and the bosses kept most everyone in the loop with what was going on and what needed doing.

"Getting worse not better"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There will soon be more VP's, Sr. Vp's, Regional VP's and Executive VP's in SGS than workers so if you are a VP or above, this might be the place for you. Also interesting to see how many executives and leaders are coming from outside the company versus inside . Don't be fooled by any pitch for opportunity to advance. Does not exist!

Cons

If you just want to work, do a good job, take care of customers AND BE RECOGNIZED FOR IT, try some other place. 1 raise in 6 years at a location that makes a lot of money!!!

Advice to Management

Senior leadership has no credibility and employees do not trust them. You need to win back trust and cant do it with video messages.

"Ok place to work. Management less than stellar. Lacks a clear plan"

Pros

Decent money and the people are pretty great. Not management though. Lack of vision. No plan. Went downhill in the last few years

Cons

No loyalty Company lacks heart and vision. All about upper management making their bucks. The rich get richer. Too bad it’s gone that direction

"Bunch of clowns"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Florence, KY

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not any pros anymore they have taken it all away . Time to wake up and realize you need experienced people

Cons

Managers are clueless of the production . No pay raise ever , shrinking package . Loosing business and poor quality will finish it off

Advice to Management

Try and manage the production . The competition keep winning experienced people over . It's only a matter of time before you loose some major accounts

"High Expectations w/ Low Compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and working with your clients are the only ones that make this place tolerable. 401k suspension will come back for 2018.

Cons

Since clients are lowering their prices, the cutting cost tactics are directed at the employees. Health benefits are terrible but SGS stated "we are paying for the administration fees." Reviews were extremely late and an insult if anything. Management expects you to complete tasks outside of your job description and above your pay grade.

Advice to Management

Don't ask or expect hard work if compensation or raises will not be received accordingly.

7. "Great"

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Nice work environment to be in.

Cons

none I have no Cons

"Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Louisville, KY

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and flexible hours including working from home and various work schedules.
    They will work with you if you need to be off work for some reason.

Cons

Benefits are constantly shrinking leaving only the most basic insurance. No incentives. No raises for years. Constantly adding more work but no compensation. Job security is minimal to many. You see people coming and going constantly. It's sad.

Advice to Management

A raise increase for the ones that have been working for years without one would be encouraging . To spread the compensation so all employees get something from their hard work, not just management

"Production/manufacturing"

Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you'd work with use to be there only reason besides a paycheck that was a benefit for working there. But in the end that wasn't even a good reason.

Cons

This location is so over managed serving the managers needs for their benefit and not your own. Recently acquired for sgs having the only printing department made for forced overtime in most production areas. Don're get in trouble by getting hurt I've seen people hung out to dry nothing like ruining people.

Advice to Management

Think before you act. Do not be a consumer of yellow frozen precipitation

"A Venture Capitalist Driven Company is Not Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local environment has great hard working folks that are a pleasure to be around and work with.

Cons

It's become clear that the venture capitalist owners are only in the game for short term profitability at the expense of the employees and long term business. There have been no raises for many years and this year 401K matching has been taken away along with forced time off without pay. Many of my colleagues are becoming increasingly unhappy and disgruntled. Internal reorganizations are occurring for short term gains that are very bad for the companies long term outlook.

Advice to Management

What can you say when venture capitalists run a company in an industry that is being turned on edge. I don't always get the yearly profit I want in my portfolio, I must take the good with the bad. Venture capitalists have the ability to make the bad good for the short term, the long term outlook for SGS is not very good with current direction.