Southern Graphic Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Southern Graphic Systems CEO Aidan Tracey
Aidan Tracey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people to work with, modern computers and new building" (in 8 reviews)

• "Surrounded by good people who are willing to help you grow as well" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work life balance, very negative environment" (in 7 reviews)

• "No raises, not for merit or for cost-of-living" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Progressive Company"

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Adapting to the changing needs of the industry, customers and employees

Cons

Nor enough electric charging stations for electric cars

2. "Onsite Project Manager"

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Systemic approach that is easy to gain knowledge of. Makes day-to-day very easy to manage and allows for ease on workload.

Cons

Due to the systemic approach personality in environment is lost. Operates more as a machine than a human environment. People come in, work and leave.

"Out of control . Lost for ideas ."

Current Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production in New York, NY

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

I don’t have any good to say anymore

Cons

People are leaving , customers are leaving , most people are miserable . Air of doom around he company

Advice to Management

By closing sites and trying to centralize production you have scared away customers . Moving graphics jobs to Mexico is not the answer. All short term measures to cut costs . The future is bleak . You have destroyed a great company . Nobody will buy it from you now .

"Good people, numbers driven upper management"

Former Employee - Account/Project Manager
    Former Employee - Account/Project Manager

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with great people, and my location had the latest and greatest flexo plate technology. If you like constant change then this is a good place for you. The pay was decent, and the vacation time was generous.

Cons

I spent more time than I would like dealing with penny pinching customers. I always got the vibe that these customers were only with SGS because there were no better alternatives. Also upper management seems to only care about positioning the company to sell and furloughed employees just to make the balance sheet look better to investors. Raises were also rare during my time there, so make sure you negotiate a good starting salary upfront.

Advice to Management

Make attracting and retaining talent a priority. Working for SGS used to be something people in the industry aspired to do but not so much so anymore.

"I've been a machinist for 21 years."

Pros

Used to be a great place to work, and they used to care about the ones making them the money.

Cons

No raises!!! A lot of promises with no outcome. Expected to come in and fill in with no notice. They could care less about your plans or family time, even though management is home with theirs every day and weekend.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and understand why you have such a big turn around of employees. KEEP YOUR PROMISES!!!! Pay your good, dedicated employees, respect the fact that we have lives too. Stop with the favoritism!!!!

"Production"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co workers who are passionate about their projects.

Cons

Mgt. Meltdown. People are being let go in droves

"Steady as she goes"

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time

Pros

Plenty of work here. Solid foundation with stable employment.

Cons

Pay and Benefits should improve.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Dead end job from a deadbeat company"

Current Employee - Machinist in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Machinist in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impossible to get fired: break machines, come and go, leave when you want, and or create a hostile work environment. They will not do anything about it.

Cons

Spineless management. No opportunity for advancement, increased demands and work loads. Very poor environment, hostile place to work with a lot of gossip and drama. Incompetent staff, makes it harder on the one or two people who do have half a brain. Awful hours, 12 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

Man up and start making some decisions. Get organized. Hire better people and pay them what they are worth. Hire cheap labor to grunt for them. Don’t pay idiots the same as producers.

"Terrible Terrible Company to work for"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro I could say is that I had good coworkers.

Cons

The company doesn't care about their employees even in the slightest. They keep making cutbacks and performing layoffs. If I were you I'd look elsewhere for employment. Medical benefits are terrible and they don't payout PTO once you leave. Project managers are always expected to work overtime for free. Oh, and they don't give raises.

Advice to Management

Act like you care about your employees. You wonder why people keep leaving it's because the company is only concerned about making money and paying the top dogs.

"Production Artist"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Minn City, MN
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Minn City, MN

I have been working at Southern Graphic Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are friendly. OT available. SGS does we'll in keeping accounts viable. You can make the day great depending on your attitude. Some accounts are more interesting then others. New equipment was recently put in place.

Cons

Advice, learn what you can. Take it with you to your next job. If you feel your worth more look somewhere else to work. Raises & vacation are hard to come by so negotiate when your opportunity is available. Working environment is sterile. Punch in do your job and punch out.

Advice to Management

Give raises out yearly with positive feedback. Have meetings that tell employees they are doing well. The company is making money so all employees should prosper with its success.