Southern Illinois University Reviews in Springfield, IL | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard
Glenn Poshard

Pros
  • good work environment and good management (in 18 reviews)

• Great place to learn in my field as a student worker (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Gives student workers only certain access to utilities, resulting in asking supervisor for help (in 9 reviews)

• student workers don't get promoted at all, due to loss of budget cuts (in 8 reviews)

1. "graduate assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good place and culture and science

Cons

not many institutions are there in the same city secluded

"50/50"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Each department is different, depending on where you work will determine if it is a good working environment. Benefits are wonderful. Union.

Cons

Pay is not on par with other facilities. Benefits and employment do revolve around the state government to a point.

3. "Medical Writer"

Current Employee - Medical Writer in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Medical Writer in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including paid time off and insurance

Cons

Pay is extremely low for many positions, thus high turnover

5. "Building Operating Engineer"

Current Employee - Building Operating Engineer in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Building Operating Engineer in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, now being cut back

Cons

Budget cuts, pension reform, staff cuts. Not a good place to work at this time

Advice to Management

Come out of your office for once. I know names, would be nice to see who these people are.

6. "Certified Medical Assistant for 3 years now"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits.
    Medical Assistant job is a good job to help one decide if they want to go into nursing.
    They encourage you to continue education/ go back to school and pay for you to do so.
    Understanding when family issues arise.
    2% raise every year.
    State job.
    Working with all types of medical staff (i.e medical students, residents, nurse practitioners, medical doctors)

Cons

Some managers can be overbearing.
    Doctors feel as if they are your employers, even though they are your coworkers. Managers will usually take their word over yours.
    A few coworkers that I work with were childish at times, made the workday not as enjoyable.
    If you run out of sick time and need to take a sick day, you get written up even if you have evidence from your doctor that you needed to take off from work. If you have sick time and you take a sick day more than one day out of the month you can still get written up even if you have evidence from your doctor that you needed to take off from work. If you show up to work sick as a dog, whether you have sick time or not, they call you into the office scold you for coming into work and send you home.

Advice to Management

Please revise the sick time protocol.

7. "Great School Old Administration"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Southern Illinois University full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, you work with people from all over, serves the lower income populations in healthcare.

Cons

If you are civil service, low pay. Slow to hire replacement workers. Stressful.

8. "Advanced Clerical"

Former Contractor - Advanced Clerical in Springfield, IL
    Former Contractor - Advanced Clerical in Springfield, IL

I worked at Southern Illinois University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, easy tasks to fullfill, casual environment.

Cons

I was hired on a temporary basis with promises for a more permanent opprotunity. Ended up being asked to leave early because apparently there was no more work that needed to be done. Thanks for catching us all up, but you can leave now...I understand that there were issues from the get-go because I could not learn their system since I was "temporary help", but I feel that was bad planning on their part and I got the short end of the stick

Advice to Management

While management are kind people, I felt a high lack of professionalism on their part. They sought someone to help them in a time of need. However, they did not do the research or ask the right questions in the beginning to get the proper permision needed for all of the amenities, such as a computer, that a person may need to actually do the work needed. Instead of doing six months worth of backed up filing.

9. "Worst job and employer, ever, after 20+ years!"

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Springfield, IL

Pros

Good coverage/ability to be evaluated for medicaid patients.

Cons

Dirty! The clean/sterile technique was the most appaling I've ever seen by physicians and nurses, actually there wasn't any!
    Extremely disorganized, NO ONE new what was going on, or what should be going on!
    Would never allow my family to be a patient there.
    Long hours d/t disorganization.
    Support staff extremely unprofessional.
    Quit after 8 weeks, wouldn't want to tarnish my good reputation or be associated with that type of poor care, I have ethics!

Advice to Management

Clean up and organize, disgusting for a state organization or any organization!

10. "Dr. Swango trained here and paranoia lingers."

Former Employee - Faculty Physician in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Faculty Physician in Springfield, IL

Pros

It is partially funded by government, which improves job security. Even if you are not on tenure track you will still have well above-average job security. If you are on tenure track you can have superb job security. Some medical students and residents are highly capable and appreciate quality teaching. The patients are a good mixture of different socioeconomic classes and they appreciate good medical care and most of them try to cooperate, they are good to work with. Nice State Museum in town. Easy to get around, little traffic, lots of supermarkets, reasonably friendly townsfolk, Lincoln culture is good, good medical care is available from private MDs, good hospitals, some good public schools, some good home neighborhoods.

Cons

Original work is obstructed. No mentorship for academic MDs. No real campus, the SIU campus is 200 miles away in Carbondale. No socialization opportunities among faculty except once/year at "meet the new faculty" and a one-day softball competition. Administration is inbred and proud of it, Dean and several chairs trained there; their academic credentials are unusually weak compared to other med schools. School lawyers participate closely in internal administration. Administrators are overly intrusive, probably ever since serial killer Dr. Swango (an SIU M.D. graduate) became famous. Arduous call and weekend work with little to no compensation. Especially for its size Springfield is unusually violent with epidemic daytime assault-robberies in and near downtown. Little culture available except for Lincoln exhibits, few decent restaurants, harsh weather, for good air travel must drive to St Louis 100 miles. In the community SIU medical care is generally seen as no better than from private MDs and sometimes not as good.

Advice to Management

Quality improvement is needed, this is more like a trade school than an academic place. To improve quality the Deans and Department Chairmen need to be as well qualified (before their positions) as at medical schools with admirable quality. Inbreeding in administration is undesirable and should be minimized. Decrease the responsibility and authority of lawyers unless they are full-time regular teaching law faculty.