Southern Management (MD & VA) Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Always recommended"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. career growth
    2. training/learning strongly encouraged
    3. diverse team members
    4. giving back to the community via : food banks, mentoring programs, Spruce Up Schools, Christmas in April, etc
    5. Continuous training for community level leaders
    6. team benefits

Cons

1. Company training for different Office team training can be limited

Advice to Management

1. Look into establishing a SMC career mentor program
    2. Branching out to include other parts of VA , PA

2. "Great Company to begin a career"

I have been working at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training is amazing. The company invests time and energy in getting quality training and ensuring personal learning and growth that can align with the career path you want!

Cons

There is little room for growth past the middle manager level. This is a great company to work for, but no one in upper management ever leaves, so until they begin to build more properties, the upper level positions are pretty tight.

Advice to Management

create some incentive to complete management courses and to stay in the company and wait for a promotion.

"Not much room to grow"

I worked at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time

Pros

Great training and support of culture

Cons

Not much room to grow.

4. "Leasing Professional"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Hillcrest Heights, Prince George's, MD

I have been working at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to grow within the company and the benefits are by far the greatest thing that I have ever seen!

Cons

Honestly I cant name one con about the company or the plan that they have in place as a company.

5. "Southern is awesome"

I have been working at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time

Pros

Great work environment with lots of growth opportunities.

Cons

There are no cons that come mind.

"Custodian"

Current Employee - Custodian in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Custodian in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Commute and potential learn a new staff

Cons

The time working with them silver spring very unfortunate because they never gime the complete training and not even uniform or key to acces in the building ... level of management poor .... and some unetitical practice ... you can find botle of beer in some office ... I hope these practice stop

Southern Management (MD & VA) Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Associate

Thank you for your review! Southern takes pride in its high standards for workplace environment and we never encourage or tolerate such practices as described in your review. Please contact our HR... More

"Great company to work for. Not a lot of room for upward mobility after a certain point."

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Southern Management (MD & VA) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They train you very well. Southern takes pride in how good their team members are in the property management industry. Great environment to learn and hone your craft. Great benefits

Cons

Each community's manager is able to manage their community as if they are the owner. That's great if you work under a diplomatic, motivational, "I want my entire team to succeed" type of PM. Unfortunately that type of PM doesn't exist at every community.

There's not much room for growth after you reach a certain point. It's a great company so many team members end up working for the company for 7+ years. Considered a newby if you've only got 2 or 3 years under your belt. Because of this, once you reach a certain point, there's often a plethora of qualified team members, but a shortage of higher positions.

8. "Growth with benefits"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Woodbridge, VA

Pros

As the Organization growing, Majority of team members are growing to higher positions, You will get the necessary training and resources to help you reach the goals. The benefits are great, the Senior Management cares about all team members.

Cons

My personal experience did not see any downsides.

9. "Growth/Work Experience"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Woodbridge, VA

Pros

I have grown with SMC for 35 years and continue to grow as an empowered team member who adds experience and knowledge for our upcoming new generations of inspired team members and leaders. The benefits are awesome! Training is great and your paid while you trained. Outside training is also an option with approval from HR. We are a family orientated company with many longevity team members.

Cons

I'm getting older, need dedicated, new visionary, carrier orientated team members.

"Management"

Pros

Southern is a family oriented company. They have lots of recognition events and good benefits.

Cons

No one ever leaves. Some of the employees float for years in their positions, unnoticed and undeserving, while others work hard and don't get promoted. You have to have the right people on your side in order to get referred and get to the top.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism. Be more consistent. Get better trained Managers. Give your team the opportunity to excel.