Cover image for Southern Poverty Law Center

29% Recommend to a Friend
35% Approve of CEO

Found 95 of over 104 reviews

2.5
Southern Poverty Law Center President and CEO Margaret Huang (no image)
Margaret Huang

The latest conversations about Law

Join the conversation on

Law

141.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/law/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Southern Poverty Law Center~16443
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Southern Poverty Law Center? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Southern Poverty Law Center employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are good.(in 23 reviews)
  • "Union, committed colleagues, important work(in 5 reviews)
  • "Great people, good environment, they genuinely care about you understanding what's happening(in 5 reviews)
  • "workers, and decent pay.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Southern Poverty Law Center and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Wonderful Place to Work

Apr 28, 2023 - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most employees are great. They're committed to the work we do and you can feel their passion. Pay and benefits are out of this world fantastic.

Cons

Union representation is overly and unnecessarily negative.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Getting better

Apr 3, 2023 - Director of IT Operations in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

SPLC has definitely taken steps towards the improvement of the employee experience. Various different programs are in flight to capture feedback, input, and action items. They are making the investment and change is underway.

Cons

I would say for those who may have had a less-than-ideal experience, a shift in the leadership for good was in the works

3. Join the Southern Poverty Law Center team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Some moments of light — but overall a dark, harmful environment

Jul 10, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I met many incredible people during my time at the center, and I had some awesome opportunities. Also, one of my supervisors who had been at SPLC for several years was absolutely wonderful, a great leader and communicator, and someone who actually saw me as a human (something I didn't experience from upper management or my other supervisor and some former colleagues). The benefits are decent, but are sometimes unclear--as are the policies and procedures.

Cons

I had one supervisor who was absolutely horrendous, never acknowledged her position of power, got defensive anytime I tried to have an honest conversation with her, and caused my mental health to deteriorate for months on end. Also, several managers and folks in upper management commonly lies, gaslights, and is inconsistent and harmful to many people. The stories I've heard from colleagues throughout the center (many of whom who left due to mental health reasons and/or were essentially forced out) are heart wrenching. I spoke to many of these concerns during my exit interview. And the HR person's response was completely rude, dismissive, and—of course—straight up gaslighting. SPLC management cares about their own image and money from rich donors. Their employees? Not so much.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0

Extremely toxic

Apr 7, 2023 - Attorney
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros for being there.

Cons

Racist; sexist; classist; just awful.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 3.0

Legal

Mar 14, 2023 - Litigation Paralegal in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Has really good employee benefits

Cons

Does not pay the employees enough

7. 1.0

I'm sorry I worked here - lesson learned

Nov 21, 2022 - Administrative in Montgomery, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I liked many of my colleagues.

Cons

Things were so bad, the employees formed a union. Unfortunately, things are not much better now. Management still has all the power and employees are scapegoated and treated poorly. I would not recommend working here to anyone.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

One needs to hire an SPLC to sue the SPLC for mistreating their employees

Feb 15, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful colleagues Good cause Good benefits

Cons

Where do I start? This is the place where morale, trust and ambition die. Lying in your face is the norm from management and HR. If you are one of the few lucky ones with a competent and honest supervisor and did not run into issues with HR (their processes -lack thereof- and responses to concerns are notoriously arbitrary), then you'll be fine, the overall toxicity and terrible leadership will demoralize you sometimes but it won't crush your soul. If you are one of very many who are cursed with an incompetent manager, who covers up for their incompetence with lies, this place will give you serious trauma and shock that such chaotic and corrupt place can ever be in business. I read the many terrible reviews when I was interviewing but I thought things can't be that bad at this pioneering civil rights organization. I wish I listened; the distrust and cynicism that result from such corrupt environment scarred me deep. I will be taking long time off before I'm ready to trust any manager again. If you read this I hope you take all the red flags waiving high here seriously and you stay away.

14 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0

horrible

Nov 15, 2022 - Legal
    Business Outlook

Pros

horrible management, horrible teams, horrible culture. there are no pros.

Cons

everything was a con. it was a truly traumatizing experience to work there

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Turmoil

Jul 13, 2022 - Office Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent benefits with a retirement plan, salary for the position was above market for the city

Cons

Turmoil, so much infighting related to marginalized staff being treated worse than the communities they were there to serve

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0

Toxic culture

Oct 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Colleagues who do amazing work.

Cons

Management/leadership is very toxic and the culture was terrible

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 95 Reviews
</>Embed

Southern Poverty Law Center Reviews FAQs

Southern Poverty Law Center has an overall rating of 2.5 out of 5, based on over 104 reviews left anonymously by employees. 29% of employees would recommend working at Southern Poverty Law Center to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Southern Poverty Law Center employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Southern Poverty Law Center. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

29% of Southern Poverty Law Center employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Southern Poverty Law Center 2.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.2 for culture and values and 2.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Southern Poverty Law Center to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Southern Poverty Law Center Job Seekers