Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Gas Controller"

I have been working at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time

Pros

They take care of you

Cons

Hours. But that comes with the job and you're told before you're hired.

"Some good people, but dysfunctional family"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people. Learned a lot about gas pipeline operations. Pay and benefits were fair, and good job security.

Cons

Huge "Us" vs "Them" divide between corporate in Kentucky and field. Upper management pays lip service to what field employees have to say, but rarely actually listen. So may layers of bureaucracy can be difficult to get work done.

"Not worth the risk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline (More than a year)

Pros

Great Employee Benefits, Including Health Care, Vision, Dental, 401K, and Retirement Program, and Bonus potential for some employees. Overall experience was tolerable.

Cons

Some managers act as if they are dictators of their little world and can make life and work life difficult. Communications is often poor but little to no effort is made to solve the issue.

Advice to Management

Please get you act together, you often say the correct things, but then, there is no follow through. Or you fail to communicate the truth to employees. Communication is often deceptive as to what you are looking to accomplish and then actions taken are often an over reaction compared to reality. Pipeline safety, employee safety use knee jerk reactions, while operations and other department are blind to reality.

4. "Nice Benefits"

Pros

Nice Benefits, PTO/, ealth Insurance, Etc

Cons

under staffed in many departments

Advice to Management

need more staff

"Excellent and innovative place to work with outstanding long-term benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working for Southern Star is the benefits offered. It's a little known fact (probably something that should be promoted more) that we're one of the only companies in the area (possibly in the state) offering a pension plan in addition to a 401(k) that's matched. Conceivably, that could end with retiring a handful of years sooner than you'd be able to otherwise.

Cons

The culture is a lot to get used to if you come from a "shark" environment. There's a defined management structure, but not thick layers separating these folks. For example: the CEO came up and introduced himself to me on my second day and we talked baseball for 40 minutes. I didn't find out who that person was (I mean who he really was) until a couple days after the fact. If you're used to really defined separation of authority levels, it takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

A lot of those who complain (I hear them at coffee stations periodically) haven't ever worked for any other company. I've worked at 4 others (all in different industries) and none of them come close. Southern Star promotes (almost exclusively) internally, encourages education and employee development, and pays competitively with the area and the industry (while offering leading retirement benefits). We have it amazing here and don't let anyone tell you differently.

6. "Great place to learn and understand natural gas transportation"

Former Employee - Operator
    Former Employee - Operator

I worked at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were comparable if not better than most. I enjoyed on how they value safety and make it a priority to establish that culture.

Cons

pay, shift work, lack of direction from middle management

Advice to Management

Make the hiring process a lot quicker. Six months was a little long.

"Can't trust management"

I worked at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time

Pros

Good co-workers. Decent wages and benefits

Cons

The concentration of power is with 5 people company with a president with no backbone. Unless you are one of their favorite people and are willing to be a "yes" person, you will not last long. Promotions and other career opportunities belong to them. Most employees do not trust upper management, but they are afraid to lose their jobs so they do as they are told. You can't trust what management says they will do. They pretend to befriend employee only to try to find out information about other employees.

Advice to Management

They need a new set of upper management

"Good people, disconnected management"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401K match, benefits, support from immediate supervisor, They seem to have big future goals

Cons

I have been with the company for a couple of years now, and i have determined that accounting and lawyers seem to have final say on everything that happens with SSCGP. ESPECIALLY pay. they will nickle and dime you as far as pay and bonuses. There is no written or even understood way to advance, with managers shrugging their shoulders and saying "im not really sure how that works". It isn't their fault, senior management doesn't have anything spelled out. There are no pipeliners running the company, its administrative types which makes the whole process seem like numbers, and the human, or family sense is gone. I have been told over and over my many many other employees who have worked for 10, 20+ years for the company that this is the worst they have ever seen the company run.

Advice to Management

Move from Kentucky to a state where the pipeline exists..... then mabye there wont be such a disconnect and this pipeline can be more successful. It is two different worlds, those in the field and those in the HQ location. Clear up the confusion many have on how to get advanced, or perform many other tasks, there seems to be a lack of direction.

"Southern Star has become Falling Star -"

I worked at Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good co-workers

Cons

The power is concentrated in the hands on 3 people in the company. One of them sanctions all the decisions of the company including who a manager can or cannot hire, who gets a promotion or not, who gets what merit increase.

Advice to Management

Improve the company direction and employee morale and engagement. Stop the brain drain. You are losing too many talents to the competition. You can replace people with 20, 30 plus years of experience with kids out of college. The natural gas is too dangerous to leave its operations to inexperience workers. It is just too dangerous.

10. "Feel of a huge corporation in a small sized company"

Current Employee - I Fix Broken Things
    Current Employee - I Fix Broken Things

Pros

- When you travel ( a lot) the lodging is nice and you eat well.
    -A lot of the perks of a huge Corporation with just a few hundred employees.
    -Work isnt the same from day-to-day in the field, you dont get bored.
    -Company vehicle (if you are a technician)

Cons

-Spread out workforce, headquarters is in Kentucky, where there is no pipeline
    -Ever- increasing feel of a central controlled workspace from KY ^ ^ ^.....
    -Union influence in the shops can cause an unfriendly atmosphere during negotiation periods.