Southern States Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 30, 2017

2.0
Thomas R. Scribner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A Once Great Company Going Down the Tubes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The associates really do care about the customers and their needs.
    Very high quality animal and horse feeds, custom fertilizers
    Commercial chemicals are also top notch.
    Very good benefits & pay. Full time employee starts out with 20+ vacation days.

Cons

The company prided itself on promoting from within. The top brass all came up through the retail stores and knew what those employees dealt with. Not any more. Nearly all cooperate hires are now from the outside.

Massive layoffs of higher paid, experienced employees.

Each store could once mold their inventory to fit the needs of their local customers. Now it's cookie cutter one size fits all.

Very poor or no exit strategies for slow moving merchandise.

Horrible pos and inventory system rife with bugs years after being implemented.

What was once a family atmosphere is now corporate in the extreme. Your just a resource not a person.

Terrible work to lie balance. Required 6 day weeks for months at a time. Was told by someone in upper management that they "owned us".

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees. Go back to advancing from within. Free up your stores to order and merchandise based on the needs of their customers.

"Company sucks up new Dm's from TSC and Lowes not for company dedication but for the love of a dollar"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Southern States full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the love of the business agriculture! A dying breed We need to work hard to bring back the principals on which Southern States was founded

Cons

The cookie cutter stores do not cater to all clientele. The merchandise needs to be based on the demographics of the store. Stop bring the general store with candy on pegs and sell some real farming needs.

Advice to Management

Stop employee shopping at your competition. They have some of the worst customer service and product knowledge I have ever witnessed. If Southern States is that threatened by the enemy and the only way to fight competition is to steal their employees ,then things are looking very dismal for Southern States. When I worked for the company I prided myself in my job and the company. After Southern States drafted in TSC & Lowes recruits, I compared my last months to our political administration......neither had any leadership skills... But power hungry and full of empty promises

"Overall an Okay company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

It is a solid company. They have ethics. There is good job security. They have a descent benefits package. The people are nice

Cons

No growth or development. You will not be promoted. There is no company culture. The company does not have even a company picnic. (There is one by the employee association, but you have be a member)

Advice to Management

Make decisions and lead. You are too scared to do something wrong so instead you do nothing.

4. "Slowly Going Out of Business"

I worked at Southern States full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with.

Cons

Outdated ideas. Outdated management styles. Management doesn't engage with anyone because they have all the answers.

"Values are all wrong."

Pros

Work hours are 8:00 to 4:30. They are flexible when it comes to taking time off for appointments.

Cons

Benefits package is awful.
    Management values tenure and friendship over ability and professionalism.
    Too much gossip.

Advice to Management

Hiring internally is great when the candidate is actually qualified for the position being filled. There are too many mid level managers less qualified to lead a team than their analysts.