Southern Technical College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Sanford, FL

I worked at Southern Technical College (More than a year)

Pros

From the CEO (whom I've known for years) on down. It's ALL about helping students achieve success.

Cons

I have none at this time

Advice to Management

Modernize the admissions contact system from MDT/CVue to 5/9 and Salesforce. Get all data within 10 mi range of each campus and have offshore center qualify and transfer to admissions.

"Not terrible but could be a lot better"

Pros

Provides opportunity to do didactic teaching and work with students on an interpersonal level.

Cons

The screening process for students is poor, unrealistic expectations for student's success and progress. Company is for-profit and more concerned about finances than aiding students and staff. The directors are either leaving or being fired on annual or semi-annual basis.

"I should of never work there."

I worked at Southern Technical College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some employee are great . U learn a lot it is a stepping stone..

Cons

The staff lacks discipline in correcting mistakes. They brush things under the rug... Fault you for all the wrong. Never see good you do. Quit turn over. There users, Careers services is a joke at some campuses. Most are concerns about there own personal needs and a pay check.

5. "Medical Instructor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Dora, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Dora, FL

I worked at Southern Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and helpful staff members

Cons

Working split shifts and holidays days off are not the same as the public school system.

Advice to Management

Make work schedule 8 hrs straight and change days off to fit public school system.

6. "Great place to help people"

Current Employee - Adjunct PCT Instructor in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Adjunct PCT Instructor in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Southern Technical College (Less than a year)

Pros

Teaching students and watching them grow

Cons

Would love to be full time instead of adjunct

"Ultrasound Program Director"

Former Employee - Ultrasound Program Director in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Ultrasound Program Director in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Southern Technical College (More than a year)

Pros

Guiding and instructing Ultrasound students

Cons

More of a business than a school

Advice to Management

take care of your best asset, your instructors

"Stay Away"

Pros

None, company should work on transitioning their students and employees to better opportunities outside the company

Cons

For-profit are the key words here, only interested in making money and not in quality education or being an employer of choice in the community. Management is proud of getting rid of people and sets unrealistic expectations on their staff in order to keep the doors open

Advice to Management

Be honest with your students and your employees

"For Profit says it all!"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Southern Technical College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Keeps students off the street.

Cons

Too many to list. Upper management is terrible. There is no reward for loyalty. In addition, if a student who is angry because they performed badly, writes a bad review of the Instructor, the Dean doesn't even consider that they are doing so in a vengeful manner. One could have Three straight semesters/quarters of success and no negative surveys written by students, but all of a sudden, a couple gets Instructor blackballed. Ridiculous!!! They only care about the money, NOT the student, letting students who miss large amounts of class time finish, while other students are Present at Every class, proactively performing well, completing every assignment. Not fair to those good students.

Advice to Management

Re-structure and try not to make is so obvious its all about the money. How about really performing an Educational service to the students?? This way you can actually feel really good about what you do everyday instead of trying to validate this poor excuse for academia.

"Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Associate Degree Science in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Degree Science in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Southern Technical College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excelent teamwork and company benefits are very good, short distance from my home and schedule great!!!!.

Cons

No offer opportunities for growth and development skills because have small management structure, without formal training for employees...

Advice to Management

Create better opportunities for development and training.

"Could be much better"

Former Employee - Medical Instructor in Auburndale, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Instructor in Auburndale, FL

I worked at Southern Technical College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provided educational opportunities for non-traditional students.

Cons

I worked at STC for 4 years as a medical assistant instructor. During that time, there were 4 changes in upper management at the location where I worked. But nothing really improved. Benefits were pitiful and pay was poor. During that entire 4 years the rhetoric never changed. Instructors were held accountable for events completely out of our control. This was an adult education environment but when students did not come to class, left early, missed exam days or most anything else, instructors were held completely accountable for these events. Instructors were consistently told (when these events happened) we were not making the classes "fun" enough or interesting enough to encourage attendance. We were essentially threatened with reprimands if students failed courses, were absent, or left classes early. I understand "for profit" means that but these students were financially raped with the cost of their education. Students were lied to; students without high diploma or GED were admitted; students who could not read (really) or write were admitted. Instructors were frequently "voluntold" to perform extra events and activities and since this was time "volunteered" there was no remuneration involved. The whole system was "McDonalized"; independent thought was not encouraged. Grades were changed so people could pass. Had it not been for the students and their desire for bettering themselves, I would have left much sooner. But ultimately my open disagreements led to my "resigning", and my resignation was cheerfully "accepted".

Advice to Management

Get real. You can make a profit and still have a positive educational environment. But greed and avarice is not the way to be successful.