Southern Wine & Spirits of America "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Southern Wine & Spirits of America Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Apr 1, 2017

3.2
Southern Wine & Spirits of America Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin
Harvey R. Chaplin
Pros
  • "Met some great people & life long friends(in 23 reviews)

• "Good benefits if you are in the union and you will never go thirsty(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management treats you like a number(in 21 reviews)

• "Long hours can be hard and getting up early can be a bummer(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Top notch people and benefits. Much better than Alliance, maybe on par with Youngs Market, from what reps ITK said."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

VERY good benefits (PTO, vacation, health, eye, dental, life, etc) raise 15-20% of effective pay if you paid for all benefits yourself. For me at least. No unreasonable sales goals or gustapo threats, I heard at least. Unlike Alliance Bev. They just move low "producers" to appropriate divisions, as long as they're honest, hard working and "on the ball" people, which I respect a lot. Great people. My manager... Chris Roberts, trainer Josh Gerrard and district manager Bruce Deneweth were honestly the best people I've ever worked for. Also, Chris Coleman and Michael something of HR were great even though Michael, the director was juggling NM and AZ. These peoples great attitudes made this the most enjoyable company I've ever worked for. Professional but fun, on the ball, but not jerks, they really could run the company. They're that good.

Cons

Drug testing= 1 location FAR from my house and in a BAD neighborhood. Every other company I've worked for had many locations, MUCH closer to my home. Also, not enough stress was given as to the importance of getting to the facility in 24 hours from initial request. Lots of emphasis on other things, but that one almost cost me the job! And I only delayed going because it was SO far away, busy the Friday I got it... and I didn't want to get mugged going there at night and they were closed over weekend. So after I'm waiting and waiting for job offer I was asked to do extraordinary things ASAP. Not the best, first impression. I almost said no thanks. Very sore and tired during OND, at least if you're over 30. Pay for Merchandisers and Sales is 10-25% less than other companies doing similar jobs, with similar benefits (ie Nestle, Frito Lay, Nabisco, Hensley etc.) although pay is higher than Alliance Beverage and same as Youngs Market.

Advice to Management

Support your field better by getting new hires they know they want through the red tape faster. If that means hiring a separate HR director for NM, do it. Good people have many options and shouldn't be left to wonder. And Sales Managers/DM's shouldn't have to work so darn hard to make up for the employees they're waiting to be hired. Also, try to ease up on the "display charade" somehow. It'd save a lot of... backs, and turnover. The "survey" people know the deal/did it before, so, come to some better agreements/plans. Lastly, get some waterjet massage tables at HQ and vouchers to Massage envy or something during OND. Moving 1,000 boxes of champagne a week hurts anyone and that would make your employees feel appreciated and less sore.

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2015-03-09
  2. "Zero Value Placed On Existing Relationships"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, typically a fun working environment, freebies, expense account, customer base is friendly, pretty good benefits, company paid phone, car allowance

Cons

"Regional" management 2 time zones away?!?! Said management had ZERO clue about markets outside of their home state. Also, there was far too much paperwork and reporting - spent more time on conference calls and spreadsheets than I did out selling.

Advice to Management

There is a guy in Ohio who would sell his first-born down the road to advance his own career. QUIT PROMOTING HIM!

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2017-04-02
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Warehouse"

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America

Pros

The company is growing and getting bigger pay could be better the is a good thing good benefits and bonuses

Cons

It's sad work for 10yrs and try to transfer back to were to where you started from and first started when they first open the new warehouse its sad😢

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2016-09-11

"Account Manager/Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, SC

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company. Good benefits. Pretty good training.

Cons

You have to drive your own vehicle with no assistance for gas, etc. No cell phone assistance either. Some management is of old school mentality and manages by negative feedback.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement is a must when managing sales people.

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2016-08-22

"Okay Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good as well as vacation/sick days. You get some perks working for an alcohol distributor.

Cons

If you work in the office the pay is terrible unless you are in sales. Your "bonus" during the holidays is laughable. The only way to move up or make money is to get into sales and that isn't easy. Feedback isn't well balanced, you're constantly told what you are doing wrong and vary rarely given positive feedback. Just not a positive environment.

Advice to Management

Mangers also get on these power trips & there is clear favoritism in the office. If you treated everyone the same, then it wouldn't be such an negative environment.

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2016-03-07
  7. "pos warehouse manager"

POS/Ware House Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America for more than 10 years

Pros

lots of friends and goo coworkers ,good benefits,lots of hours and good managers

Cons

some bad managers and people in the wrong line of work and duties

Advice to Management

lets the bad managers go and make it equal for everyone

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2016-01-31

"What have you done lately company"

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time

Pros

Good benefits if you are in the union and you will never go thirsty. Plenty of incentives to make extra money

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and quotas with too many promises to various suppliers

Advice to Management

If you see employees under a particular manager constantly leaving, then you should look at that manager instead of turning your head to big issues

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2016-02-09
  9. "Very traditional corporate culture"

Former Employee - Chain Territory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good benefits - Stable job

Cons

- There are too many people who hide and collect a paycheck - Upward mobility is very limited (like I said, there is a strong corporate culture) - Management will always push you to unrealistic goals by lying about intangible rewards - Terrible work-life balance - The entire compensation package seems nice at first but you'll soon discover that the pay is below-average for the amount of work you do - Management... is out of touch with lower-level employees

Advice to Management

I think it's obvious that the company really needs to work on retention and ask themselves what they need to do in order to keep employees besides offering empty-handed promises.

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2015-12-24

"Warehouse worker southern wine & spirits"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, union, easy work, 4 10's, the medical benefits are good but kind of expensive for being Union.

Cons

Lazy people, union contract sucks. It's really easy work, but the employees are lazy and don't want the over time so they always bring in temps to take all of our over time.

Advice to Management

Need better production standards and equality in employees

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2015-10-25
  11. "Merchandiser"

in Union City, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits of America

Pros

Good benefits, decent starter job to enter Wine and Spirits industry

Cons

Prepare for 5 am start times, majority of time is spent as manual labor schlepping hundreds of cases of wine and Spirits every day = retail stores will expect and take advantage of "free labor" from their perspective. Prevalent nepotism. Any advancements to more lucrative positions outside of company with a Supplier you will compete against your boss (DM) or someone's connected relative.

Advice to Management

Pay your merchandisers better to avoid the high turnover. You will benefit from better long term customer relationships.

Southern Wine & Spirits of America2015-09-23