Southland Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Southland Industries CEO Ted Lynch
Ted Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The office has lost good people because of these decisions and will continue to lose more if not rectified (in 5 reviews)

• No organization, No sense of mentorship (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good people and nice workspace"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, Friendly staff, Organized

Cons

No real cons as of now

"this is what is left of what used to be a good company"

Former Employee - Estimator in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Estimator in Dulles, VA

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nothing really is good about this company, it is really bad place to be by all coast avoid it!

Cons

too many promises, no action from management, crappy managers NO sense of direction and leadership, you ask something from your manager and have to wait few weeks for an answer, seems like managers don't know where are they going and you get lost with them. 0 growth opportunity,

Advice to Management

get your budget straighten up

Nov 8, 2017 – VP, Marketing

While all feedback is good feedback, this post is concerning to me. It is true that the Mid-Atlantic division has gone through some leadership changes recently, but these changes were absolutely... More

3. "It depends on your position"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many knowledge people within the company.

If you can find a spot to fit in you have it made.

The overall company culture always seems to be innovative and forward thinking.

Very good 401k and all union holidays.

Very safety oriented company.

Construction excellence.

High profile projects.

Cons

The Arizona office has gone through some massive turnover in the last several months. Positions have been posted but rarely filled. The hiring process is broken and takes far longer than it should and the company loses talented people because of it.

Recent changes in the Arizona office do not seem to raise expectations of the staff. By either promoting or hiring people that do not have relevant experience for their position, there has become a shortage of confidence in some areas. The office has lost good people because of these decisions and will continue to lose more if not rectified.

There is a lack of trust is some departments which tends to make those who are reliable and trustworthy to be leaned on heavily to pick up the slack for everyone else. Upper management doesn't appear to listen to or care about the input of the production staff actually doing the work and who are affected most by these changes.

Recent consolidations of departments has left people on edge and skeptical about the future.

Advice to Management

The company seems to rebrand and change it's direction every fiscal year. Seems like they can't figure out their identity when or stay out of their own way.

Listen to your ground troops. The people doing the work should be used as a resource for feedback.

Promote and hire people that are hungry and have the passion, not because they look good on paper or have a nice smile.

4. "A recommendation for anyone wanting to succeed in the construction industry"

Current Employee - Chief Estimator in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Chief Estimator in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity for individuals who want to work hard to achieve and advance. Great office attitude.

Cons

It is not a good fit for anyone looking to just get by. It also is not a good fit for people that need constant guidance and direction

Advice to Management

Spend more effort supporting and establishing guidelines for middle managment

"Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Encouraged a communicative environment within the company. Smart financial tracking practices. Forward thinking with technology and amenities (open working space, beer tap, updated plotter, etc. )

They also hire very wholesome people. Seldom are there misogynistic comments (except on site..)

Cons

They do not value their employees. I can't tell you how many times I asked for help and was told to "hang on". When asking for extra resources, they threw the LEAN Engineering book at me and asked me to fill out more useless, antiquated spreadsheets.

They do not provide a competitive salary in the industry, and rely on an intern's desire to be a part of the company culture in order to get them to sign on for less money. Good people who want to do right by the company are not rewarded for their efforts, and are given less opportunity than those who lie, cheat, and steal from the clients.

While I liked everyone I worked with, the overall company had a "sinking" feeling to it. No one was working on a job that was making money unless they had cheated the owner or pushed the cost onto someone else. The project managers would regularly speak negatively of detailing or engineering or the field if something wasn't going smoothly. Altogether an extremely negative environment that demanded time and resources that just weren't equivalent to what they were paying me for.

Advice to Management

Pay people their value, listen to their issues, hire people who are qualified, don't weigh people down with useless paperwork

Sep 8, 2017 – VP, Marketing

Thank you very much for the candid feedback, and I am sorry to hear this was the kind of experience you had working for us. As the new Division Leader for Southland in Southern California, I can tell... More

6. "Outstanding Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Design build and IPD industry leader. Innovating the way building systems are engineered. Strong energy and sustainability focus. Rapidly growing company. Always looking to add A players!

Cons

Not much negative to say. Highly challenging projects and demanding clients. Most positions require full commitment and some changes are slow to be implemented.

Advice to Management

Need to add more highly talented staff to avoid burnout amongst our front line troops.

7. "Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome 401K and fair pay with good benefits. Most of the people in the office are genuine and wonderful to work with and the company supports a healthy office atmosphere with a lot of social events.

Cons

Accrued vacation does not increase until 10 years of working at the company.
    Engineering work was slow for about half of the year and there was no mentoring for young engineers.

Advice to Management

Provide more growth opportunities for management to learn necessary leadership skills.

"Stay away"

I worked at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Nothing since the cons outweigh the pros

Cons

This place is smoke and mirrors. You'd be a fool to believe that they care about people. Everybody at southland is drinking the same kool-aid and if your not then you'd be put on a bad list. People and teamwork are supposed to be their values but actions speak louder than words. They could care less... I've seen it happen, and per the management, everyone is replaceable. IT is a bunch of lies, when push comes to shove their only trying to save their backs. Jokes on the business. I heard their goal is to replace everyone with their leaders past colleagues. It's an internal war between all the departments, not joking... Fimiano culture is long gone

Advice to Management

None, they wouldn't understand

9. "Southland Industries - People First!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People and culture are very important. Very fast paced, will get as much responsibility as you are willing to take ownership. They value results more than talk.

Cons

Very fast paced. Can be very fast paced but rewarding.
    Has grown significantly over the past few years. Maybe not sustainable if culture is to remain the same.

Advice to Management

keep investing in your people.

10. "An ok place to work"

Current Employee - Unknown in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Unknown in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a recent graduate and is trying to get your foot in the door somewhere. It's a great place to learn and develop what type of professional you want to be.

Cons

No organization, No sense of mentorship. Very political and "clicky". Does not back their employees as often as they should. No accountability for actions. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Southland is an ok place to work but it could be so much better with the right people in the right positions. Put your employees first. Set employees up to be successful.

Aug 15, 2017 – VP, Marketing

First, I’d like to thank whoever posted this comment on Glassdoor and tell you that I personally appreciate you taking the time to provide your honest feedback, especially in areas where we can... More