Southland Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Southland Industries CEO Ted Lynch
Ted Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work / life balance and employees are rewarded for strong performance" (in 6 reviews)

• "Great company, great pay, pretty office" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "If Southland doesn't start hiring good people quickly, the current people are bound to be stretched thin" (in 4 reviews)

• "No organization, No sense of mentorship" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Jobsite Admin"

Current Employee - Jobsite Administrative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Jobsite Administrative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to train and grow. Perks onsite. Pleasant employees and management.

Cons

Company is less known in area.

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great company, not so great pay"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Southland is like a family. They do care about their employees and match your 401K as well as provide health, vision, and dental. They host a lot of company functions which are fun and allow you to connect with fellow employees. They also have room for growth in many positions.

Cons

Southland pays much lower than most of their competitors. They also tend to load up their employees with more work than can be handled.

Advice to Management

Consider the worth of your employees and pay them accordingly. You may end up losing people that could potentially make a difference in the company.

Jul 26, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Southland is committed to providing a leading edge competitive total compensation package in order to attract, retain and reward top... More

3. "Southland Industries"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and Family oriented.

Cons

Pay scale seems to be on the lower end for the industry.

Jul 26, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

4. "Southern California Office Reinventing Itself Again"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, but has very much changed in the last 10 years or so. The company used to have significant impact on the marketplace, but not as of recent. The best things are benefits for a contractor, compared to others. Not much else that's a positive.

Cons

Constant training on culture, software training, and various turnover from multiple departments.

Advice to Management

Either completely leave the SoCal market or focus on key clients that would like to do work with Southland. Right now, not many will.

Aug 1, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Thank you for your response and appreciate the feedback. Southland SoCal is very focused on listening to the market place and as a result has made many changes to its structure and go to market... More

5. "Great company with outstanding leadership and excellent career opportunities"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment with minimal bureaucracy. The company runs a lean organization focused on results. Employees are empowered and treated with respect. Senior leadership is accessible and fully supportive of it's business leaders.

Good work / life balance and employees are rewarded for strong performance.

Cons

Challenged to find enough quality resources to support growth. Not a lot of cons. Transparent leadership that holds its employees accountable to the company's core values.

"Better Firm Than Most!"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at a bunch of engineering firms, and yes, Southland isn't perfect - but in my opinion they work hard to make it one of the best. I think you'll search for years to find a better firm to work for, and I'd bet that the folks who aren't happy with minor things haven't worked at very many firms. Trust me when I say, Southland is a great firm to work for. Perfect? No... but none are. Pros?

*Great benefits.

*Decent work life balance (anybody who complains about occasional OT hasn't worked in engineering very long).

*Great people.

*Fun office environment.

*The firm cares about you,

*Lots of Team building/Social activities available.

*Management holds company-wide meetings in Phoenix, and I think they do a pretty good job of keeping staff informed as to what's going on, what the firms plans are, etc.

Cons

Again, every firm has their weak points. Cons -

*Currently we have great staff members, but many of them are young and/or inexperienced. Some depth in the form of a few "gray hairs" would help.

*Team leaders - Some are new and struggling with their new responsibilities. Southland seems to have done the usual "Take a good engineer and Poof! you're a manager", but the skill sets aren't close to the same. The learning curve for the managers is sometimes a little painful for staff.

*Communication - Serious improvement needed here. Teams more often than not are siloed, mainly because the young people haven't yet learned what/when/why relative to project coordination. PM's are also surprisingly inept at keeping their teams up to speed. As a result, more time is spent chasing information than ever should be.

*Phoenix seems to be the red-headed step-child sometimes. Strategic hires are always based in other offices, marketing for the location is non-existent and I'm not sure why. Southland is a great, stable, formidable presence in the valley, yet we're the best kept secret in town.

Advice to Management

I guess if I could suggest one thing it would be to start getting the word out locally that we're here and we're open for business. It's incredible how many people in the industry still don't know who we are.

Ok maybe 2 things... Culture. I went to boot camp in SoCal. Absolutely hated the thought, like I'd have rather had kidney stones than gone hated it - until I got there. The boot camp and the culture at SoCal absolutely blew me away! Everyone was motivated to do their best, the Southland culture was palpable, it was an awesome experience! Then I came home. I suggested to several managers that as a start we get some of the same posters that I saw in SoCal for the office here as a start, and 2+ years later I think we have one propped against a wall somewhere. What I experienced there was motivating and infectious, and we need to get that in Phoenix - but to be frank I'm not very hopeful when a few standard posters takes 3 years.

7. "Administrative"

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good company, friendly environment, open management

Cons

overworked, young company which a lot of procedures and policy yet need to be developed.

"Welder"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Union shop. Pay according to apprenticeship with great Benifits

Cons

No holiday pay. Gets slow and they lay off a lot of workers.

"Really good, but growth is painful"

Former Employee - Project Bim Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Bim Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package a mixed bag. The 401k is outstanding at 50% match, but the medical HSA is a big turn off for most employees. They do some HSA contributions to help with the sting along with a wellness incentive for the family. There is also accidental injury which is great for when you have kids!

The wealth of knowledge is vast throughout the company and you can find experts easily. Between engineering and construction, a better solution with a higher ROI can be found.

Technology is near the forefront of the industry. There are some of the top BIM minds in the industry at Southland and are always pushing innovation and efficiency.

Leaders of the Lean Construction Institute and try to add LEAN principles in their work.

Promote from within for most positions.

11 holidays and 3 combined weeks off is nice for the work/life balance.

Accommodating with personal issues so you can tend what you need to take care of.

Cons

Some offices tend to focus more on the product and services they can offer than their employees which leaves employees feeling unappreciated, treated like a number, and eventually return the favor by leaving.

The company has doubled in size in the past few years and has had a hard time accommodating that growth, losing top employees and burning out some that have stayed.

The offices throughout the company are siloed. Offices themselves are very collaborative but there isn't much communication with the other offices.

Lack of unified standards. There is always talk of this but very little has been done. Each office wants it their own way.

Every year there seems to be some sort of coporate rebranding and seems like they can't find who they are or want to be, let alone get out of their own way. Pick a business model and do what you're really good at. Innovation is great, confusion while doing so, is not.

Lack of developed careers paths makes moving up difficult.

Advice to Management

For corporate:

Make sure all of the offices are on the same level and receive the same support with ALL services. Not all offices are treated equally and that hurts production of the overall company.

For the Phoenix office:

You have talented staff, empower and assist them to accomplish their goals set forth in their reviews.

Be more grateful of your employees, and let them know they are appreciated. A "good job" to employees during projects goes a long way. If an employee is leaving on good terms, rather than ostracizing them, give them a simple "thank you" to show that what they did while they were there was of value, especially to some of the more tenured employees.

Be more engaging with all employees, rather than being stuck behind a computer all day.

Listen to your production staff about issues and do it without rank and an open and generous ear. Many of the complaints voiced seem to go on deaf ears and unnoticed. This is a morale killer and leaves the staff untrusted.

Be more transparent with your staff about the future and do not gloss over things on the horizon. This causes concern with staff and makes them uneasy about the futures.

Practice what you preach. As LEAN champions, there is a lot of wasteful practices going. Project Management needs to engage the discipline leads [from ALL disciplines] more to have a more refined process and outlook.

Get back to doing more community involvement and get your employees to do so as well. There has been a growing sense of empathy towards this in the past few years.

Pay more competitively within the market. Salaries offered are at or lower than market value for most positions. If you want to get or keep top employees, reputation and sales pitch isn't going to do it alone.

Mar 23, 2018 – VP, Marketing

With regards to the Phoenix office, you do bring up some excellent points. As a growing engineering practice, we can find ourselves focused on the growth and business development aspects and on... More

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology working on the big name projects around the nation

Cons

No complaints for me, its really a great company