Southland Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Southland Industries CEO Ted Lynch
Ted Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 11 holidays and 3 combined weeks off is nice for the work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great company, great pay, pretty office (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If Southland doesn't start hiring good people quickly, the current people are bound to be stretched thin (in 4 reviews)

• No organization, No sense of mentorship (in 3 reviews)

1. "Welder"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Union shop. Pay according to apprenticeship with great Benifits

Cons

No holiday pay. Gets slow and they lay off a lot of workers.

"Really good, but growth is painful"

Former Employee - Project Bim Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Bim Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package a mixed bag. The 401k is outstanding at 50% match, but the medical HSA is a big turn off for most employees. They do some HSA contributions to help with the sting along with a wellness incentive for the family. There is also accidental injury which is great for when you have kids!

The wealth of knowledge is vast throughout the company and you can find experts easily. Between engineering and construction, a better solution with a higher ROI can be found.

Technology is near the forefront of the industry. There are some of the top BIM minds in the industry at Southland and are always pushing innovation and efficiency.

Leaders of the Lean Construction Institute and try to add LEAN principles in their work.

Promote from within for most positions.

11 holidays and 3 combined weeks off is nice for the work/life balance.

Accommodating with personal issues so you can tend what you need to take care of.

Cons

Some offices tend to focus more on the product and services they can offer than their employees which leaves employees feeling unappreciated, treated like a number, and eventually return the favor by leaving.

The company has doubled in size in the past few years and has had a hard time accommodating that growth, losing top employees and burning out some that have stayed.

The offices throughout the company are siloed. Offices themselves are very collaborative but there isn't much communication with the other offices.

Lack of unified standards. There is always talk of this but very little has been done. Each office wants it their own way.

Every year there seems to be some sort of coporate rebranding and seems like they can't find who they are or want to be, let alone get out of their own way. Pick a business model and do what you're really good at. Innovation is great, confusion while doing so, is not.

Lack of developed careers paths makes moving up difficult.

Advice to Management

For corporate:

Make sure all of the offices are on the same level and receive the same support with ALL services. Not all offices are treated equally and that hurts production of the overall company.

For the Phoenix office:

You have talented staff, empower and assist them to accomplish their goals set forth in their reviews.

Be more grateful of your employees, and let them know they are appreciated. A "good job" to employees during projects goes a long way. If an employee is leaving on good terms, rather than ostracizing them, give them a simple "thank you" to show that what they did while they were there was of value, especially to some of the more tenured employees.

Be more engaging with all employees, rather than being stuck behind a computer all day.

Listen to your production staff about issues and do it without rank and an open and generous ear. Many of the complaints voiced seem to go on deaf ears and unnoticed. This is a morale killer and leaves the staff untrusted.

Be more transparent with your staff about the future and do not gloss over things on the horizon. This causes concern with staff and makes them uneasy about the futures.

Practice what you preach. As LEAN champions, there is a lot of wasteful practices going. Project Management needs to engage the discipline leads [from ALL disciplines] more to have a more refined process and outlook.

Get back to doing more community involvement and get your employees to do so as well. There has been a growing sense of empathy towards this in the past few years.

Pay more competitively within the market. Salaries offered are at or lower than market value for most positions. If you want to get or keep top employees, reputation and sales pitch isn't going to do it alone.

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology working on the big name projects around the nation

Cons

No complaints for me, its really a great company

4. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Get to work on interesting projects. I like the people I work with.

Cons

Not much flexibility on what projects you get to work on.

5. "Southland is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company offers great opportunities. Recognizes and awards hard work. Senior management always aims to do the right thing.

Cons

Nothing particular so far.

6. "30 days in and totally impressed"

Current Employee - Safety Coordinator in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Safety Coordinator in Reno, NV

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong safety culture and emphasis on training. Total support from upper management and great team environment.

Cons

Growing pains while company transitions from one division to another

Advice to Management

Promote from within whenever possible

"Do not join the IT department in any capacity"

I worked at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

These comments are from the perspective of a member of the IT department and are likely drastically different than those you might see from the business-side of things. The business itself is pretty great over all, but the IT department has turned into a mess of a show and I would not recommend any soul join the IT team unless you're looking for something short term and can handle stress and unfortunate nepotism.

- Bleeding edge infrastructure and applications. The hardware used both server and client side are all really great pieces of technology. The business invests into these areas and it really shows in its great infrastructure performance.

- Extremely talented IT members. We had some really smart people! I always felt like I was learning something new through my years with the company.

- Business-sided employees are friendly.

- Great benefits. Some of the best around in terms of 401k and HSA; that said, the health insurance was recently changed and is not as great as it used to be.

The employees are honestly the best part of working at Southland. It's just too bad the IT department is now run so poorly.

Cons

- Temp-to-hire IT contractors are lead to believe they have a chance at a full time position. This is seemingly untrue and I feel terrible for anyone accepting a contract under this premise. From everything I saw, you will likely NOT be hired full time under the company if you join as a contractor under any of the IT departments; I can't think of any exceptions based on the many conversations I had with people who left, but I suppose it is possible some exist.

- Extremely high IT turnover rate for both contractor and full time positions in all IT departments. Many lasted only a few days to a few weeks. Members of the technology support department are the greatest casualties in this regard. The technology support manager can be a brutal micro-manager and I feel it leads to really poor team morale.

- I felt I was unofficially expected to be available to work 24/7.

- CIO seems to hire mostly friends for managerial and leadership positions.

- IT leadership strongly believes that "anyone is replaceable" (this is voiced in other reviews on here as well).

- The IT team is now a skeleton crew, riddled with non-stop emergencies as the most talented senior members flee to companies who might care about them.

At its heart, Southland was a fantastic company to work for in the IT department. They used to be comfortable investing in infrastructure and employees and everyone was so much happier for it.

Unfortunately the last few years have suffered greatly due to changes in IT leadership who will do anything to save pennies, and it is only a matter of time before these poor decisions are ultimately reflected in the business' bottom line.

Naturally everything in my review is only a statement of my opinion based on my experiences with the company, but honestly, if you had the sense to look up this review and have aspirations to have a fulfilling position in IT, you're too good for this company and you owe it to yourself to find any job elsewhere.

It makes me sad, but I cannot recommend joining them.

Advice to Management

To the business:
    Bringing in the current CIO was the wrong decision for the business in the long term. While she may make the budget look great right now, it is your IT employees who are suffering to make it that way and they continue to abandon ship in droves.

To IT's leadership:
    None; it's clear you don't care.

Southland Industries Response

Jan 11, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to express yourself. We sincerely appreciate the candid feedback and on many of your points, we are in agreement:

• Southland is a great company; our business... More

"this is what is left of what used to be a good company"

Former Employee - Estimator in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Estimator in Dulles, VA

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nothing really is good about this company, it is really bad place to be by all coast avoid it!

Cons

too many promises, no action from management, crappy managers NO sense of direction and leadership, you ask something from your manager and have to wait few weeks for an answer, seems like managers don't know where are they going and you get lost with them. 0 growth opportunity,

Advice to Management

get your budget straighten up

Southland Industries Response

Nov 8, 2017 – VP, Marketing

While all feedback is good feedback, this post is concerning to me. It is true that the Mid-Atlantic division has gone through some leadership changes recently, but these changes were absolutely... More

9. "Good people and nice workspace"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, Friendly staff, Organized

Cons

No real cons as of now

10. "A recommendation for anyone wanting to succeed in the construction industry"

Current Employee - Chief Estimator in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Chief Estimator in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunity for individuals who want to work hard to achieve and advance. Great office attitude.

Cons

It is not a good fit for anyone looking to just get by. It also is not a good fit for people that need constant guidance and direction

Advice to Management

Spend more effort supporting and establishing guidelines for middle managment