Southland Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Southland Industries CEO Ted Lynch
Ted Lynch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They understand a good a work / life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "We had some really smart people" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "There can be times when your work/life balance goes out of balance" (in 4 reviews)

• "If Southland doesn't start hiring good people quickly, the current people are bound to be stretched thin" (in 4 reviews)

"Treat's employees great"

Current Employee - General Foreman
    Current Employee - General Foreman

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best company i have worked for

Cons

Times get hard when they are slow

2. "Great People -- Strong focus for future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are passionate about the work the do and the development of their direct reports, peers and leaders.

Cons

Because we are very collaborative, change and decisions can take a long time to take effect.

Advice to Management

Continue to make investments in our people. While I have been here I have experienced and have witnessed the company making huge investments in people and I think we can only gain more from continuing to do so.

3. "Stuff"

I worked at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Good Benefits best in class 401k

Cons

Several Rounds of Layoffs in the past year

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Journeyman
    Former Employee - Journeyman

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management is fair and honest.

Cons

There can be times when your work/life balance goes out of balance.

Advice to Management

A little less focus on growth, and a little more focus on performance.

"Beware: A Hot Mess of Multi-Million Dollar Losses and Layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 401k match is generous.
    There are a lot of good Vietnamese restaurants in the area.

Cons

• If you like your senior management to have a “you’re CRUSHING IT dude”, bro type mindset that places priority on playing golf and drinking with clients and generally acting in an immature and irresponsible manner, Southland is the place for you! Senior leaders don't know much about mechanical construction coming from the temperature controls world. Executive management back east finally realized the huge disconnect and installed some people from the Northern California office to run the Garden Grove office effectively making Southern California leadership into puppets.
    • In a recent all-hands staff meeting, we had to listen to senior leaders explain and complain how stressed out they've become, keeping them awake at night biting fingernails. I guess we are supposed to feel sorry for them while we watch our friends and colleagues get laid off. A narcissistic bunch!
    • In today’s robust construction market, you’ve got to wonder about a company that manages to rack up multi-million-dollar losses for consecutive years with more losses projected for 2019. They have been laying off many of the smartest and most talented people in the industry – those same people who received many high fives and “you’re crushing it” kudos. Many of those talented people who were not laid off are leaving voluntarily for greener pastures (who wants to work at an outfit in the red for years with no end in sight). Considering that growth and profitability of a company are the two tests of management decision making, you can see that something is very wrong here.
    • The human resources personnel are two-faced.
    • If you are considering Southland in Garden Grove as a possible employment destination, I would be very very careful and do your homework about the company, their financial performance, layoffs, and employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Make the leadership group in Garden Grove study and practice the company “core values” especially the one about People. Right now, those company values are just empty words on a poster in the office. Install leadership that knows something about our business, has good leadership skills and cares about the People.

Southland Industries Response

Feb 4, 2019 – Vice President - Division Leader Southern California

Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate your personal view is one of disappointment. We are shifting the organization from an inwardly focused group to one that is customer centric that... More

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wealth of knowledge available to you at all times. I have never been told no when asking for help. The biggest determination of an employee's success at this company is driven by their desire to grow.

Cons

There's sometimes a lack of a unified direction at times between the business units and corporate

Advice to Management

Keep allowing employees to grow.

"Looking Back On My First Year"

Current Employee - Safety Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Safety Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So far I have been in 2 different divisions. I like wherever you are there is always new challenges. You are never given unrealistic deadlines or so much work that you cannot handle it. The support from management has been great as there is always been a answer to every question asked. People within the company have a great attitude and the people that don't seem to find themselves somewhere else. It's great to have understanding managers who care and are genuine. They understand a good a work / life balance. My manager and I have mapped out my goals and have a solid plan to achieve them. I cannot recall ever going to work and having a "bad day". I look forward to coming to work, not everyone can say that. It's a great team environment to be around that makes it work very well. Safety is stressed and preached throughout the company culture and it shows.

Cons

The hardest thing I see is the growth of the company and the pains associated with that. Different divisions have the basic same structure but there are different culture changes that are outside the company that affect day to day operations. Going from area to area takes some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing... would like to see upper management in the field more.

"Piping Detailer"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Training resources are numerous and very accessible. There is an overall attitude of sharing in growth and success. Core values set the tone of the overall culture. It is not about successful projects, instead it is about successful teams that complete projects.

Cons

Even though the company is large in scale, it is very fast paced in growth as it reaches out into new markets which can create difficult learning curves that might not have been predicted.

Advice to Management

Don't stop bringing in more great talent. There is always room for high level team members.

9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Southland Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really taking a good care of employees.

Cons

IT department is a mess.

10. "Great company, not so great pay"

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time

Pros

Southland is like a family. They do care about their employees and match your 401K as well as provide health, vision, and dental. They host a lot of company functions which are fun and allow you to connect with fellow employees. They also have room for growth in many positions.

Cons

Southland pays much lower than most of their competitors. They also tend to load up their employees with more work than can be handled.

Advice to Management

Consider the worth of your employees and pay them accordingly. You may end up losing people that could potentially make a difference in the company.

Southland Industries Response

Jul 26, 2018 – VP, Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Southland is committed to providing a leading edge competitive total compensation package in order to attract, retain and reward top... More