Southwest Airlines Reviews in Las Vegas, NV | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
Cons
  • Getting mandatory overtime on your 1st day off if short staffed or a lot of call outs (in 61 reviews)

• This has not detracted from my work-life balance at all, as I enjoy the work (in 18 reviews)

"Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, flexibility, great coworkers.

Cons

Getting too big for its britches. Trying to be something they are not. Morale is very low . Union and Management too close for comfort.

Advice to Management

Take time to invest in low-mid level Management.
    Also, 47 Vice Presidents. Who is running the show?

Southwest Airlines Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Senior Recruiter

Ultimately, it’s up to every Employee to promote and preserve our Culture across positions, workgroups, and titles. We are so fortunate to have such a longstanding unique Culture, and we all must ... More

"Flight Attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The rate of pay was fair

Cons

terrible supervisors...always rotating in new supervisors...were very limited on their knowledge

Southwest Airlines Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Specialist

We know that our People are our greatest asset, which is why we invest heavily in training, especially for our Leaders. Thanks for your feedback, we will take it to Heart.

3. "Technical Operation Intern"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

It was such great experience to learn actual project as engineer and this chance became a valuable experience in my career.

Cons

Nothing special, they are doing awesome.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work!

5. "Current salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits. Work culture like family. Flexibility. 401k

Cons

Constant mingling by management to make changes to procedures.

Advice to Management

Leave what works alone.

"great company"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great company, good benefits, great travel benefits, can make as much money as you want as long as you put in the hours.

Cons

the old southwest airlines luv culture is slowly going away due to new management and new policies.

Advice to Management

how can you tell me how to do my job if you have never done my job? take some advice from the ones who do this day in and day out

"Hit or Miss depending on what station you work at"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers, fun atmosphere and of course physical labor if you enjoy that. Ease of transferring stations was especially beneficial.. I worked there for 8 years out of MDW, BWI, STL, and LAS..

Cons

Racism/favoritism does exist at some stations not all, and it is a high turnover rate. You will be fired promptly if you make it to +7 points in attendance! Sometimes mandatory overtime can be stressful because its literally mandatory or you could be fired.

Advice to Management

BRING BACK THE MORAL! Ever since Herb Keller left and Gary Kelly stepped in, employee moral has taken a drastic drop. Start taking care of your top agents and stop treating them like slaves with no lives

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer) in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer) in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with people that are super intelligent and a lot of fun to hang out with. Work feels like a vacation on every trip!

Cons

Weekends and holidays for junior pilots. You can't always get what you want, but company software for trading trips with peers and the company helps you improve your schedule.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of the employees and they will keep providing outrageous service to the people.

"Flight attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay A fa pay position gets 2.00 extra

Cons

Some flight attendant tell on your every move, feel like you are being watched for failure

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and help instead of quick to discipline

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fly standby for free, not just on us, but other airlines. Chance to earn profit sharing if we meet our goals every year! Matched 401k up to 9.3%! Fun, friendly place to work!

Cons

Shift bidding, and paying union dues

"Quirky and Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Various in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Various in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits but get expensive if wanting family benefits; excellent 401K and company match especially for an airline; very safety-conscious company.

Cons

Very high attrition; beyond plagued with employee sick calls in virtually every department. I've never seen a company function on the day-to-day with mandatory overtime. Some folks truly have zero quality of life. Some get addicted to the money and get burnt out; others are consistently forced to stay after their shifts or report on their first day off or mandated to stay double shifts. Most certainly not a way of life for the long term for most.
    Severely antiquated technology and processes. Company does not adequately budget for technology development and is playing catch-up with improvements that are slow to materialize.
    Severely underpaid on virtually all levels of non-unionized workforce. Company relies on brand name and company culture to excite applicants, but uses antiquated pay scale system for compensation. Money is without a doubt a taboo topic and pay raises are bare minimum (2-3% for most non-union employees.)
    Ultra limited advancement opportunities. Simply put, there are no jobs to move up to! Work is ultra redundant and requires zero thinking.
    Headquarters is located in Dallas where greatest possibility of switching positions exists. If coming from unionized position, it is entirely possible to be taking a pay cut.
    Sometimes coined a 'shoestring operation,' as company often has a very amateur approach on new processes or destinations. Most definitely an expert in trying to 'reinvent the wheel,' often to its own detriment that adds to inefficiencies and wasteful spending. For instance, when company took delivery of 737-800 aircraft, it redesigned galleys that make zero sense, added mini carts that are of course not used now due to impracticality for single-aisle aircraft, and in 2016 will be redesigned because they did not work from the get-go. Operationally-speaking, company has been attempting to transition from point-to-point to a hybrid of hub-and-spoke and point-to-point. Sometimes, it feels like company tries to fit a round peg into a square hole. Minor adjustments in things like ground time, airplane swapping, decreasing and increasing airplane turn times, etc., continue to propel day-to-day and at the same time conflict with existing work rules in respective employee groups leading to disgruntled workforce, operational inefficiencies, and loss of productivity.

Advice to Management

Allocate money to technology.
    Get rid of open seating concept; it is not an accepted standard in the world and as attempts at international expansion continue, the concept will not catch on. Additionally, the true intent of open-seating is time savings, meaning cost savings. With the expansion of turn-times, open-seating no longer suits its original intent.
    Stop using the fact that Southwest Airlines has been studied in graduate school programs as a crutch and excuse for pay inadequacies in non-unionized workforce. Sad fact is company fails to attract talent because it doesn't want to pay competitive wages.

Showing 23 of 1,288 reviews