Southwest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Get mandatory overtime from late night to mid morning (in 64 reviews)

• This has not detracted from my work-life balance at all, as I enjoy the work (in 19 reviews)

"Shifts Make No Sense"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks: Flying/Travel, benefits, overtime opportunities, such as regular overtime, double time, etc.

Cons

Shifts are wack. Example go in for shift from afternoon to late night. Get mandatory overtime from late night to mid morning. Then told to come back mid afternoon for regular shift, which will lead to another "mandatory" overtime shift.

Advice to Management

When they say on glass door, "mandatory overtime can occasionally be necessary in order for our operation to run smoothly". It's not occasionally, that is misleading. Most folks take pride in their work, but that also includes getting sufficient rest such as 8 hrs sleep in between shifts so that they are not sleep deprived, so that their bodies and minds can function at optimum performance. IF they are sleep deprived, how is that helping run things smoothly. No wonder there has been so much bad publicity about airlines, dragging people off of planes, yanking strollers and forcing them off of planes. Any one who hasn't had sufficient rest is bound to act a fool---not in their right minds. The ones that get it the worst are the "Newbies", the less seniority the more chance you'll get the shift from "Crazy Town". If they're new, then they're LEARNING the job, and how can anyone be expected to learn and be the most efficient being sleep deprived. Oh and expect to work for days on end before you get a day off since they call you in on your day off to come and work. Career opportunities are good if you have time to go for them, since your working for "Crazy Town" airline shift, good luck. How does HR not keep an eye on these crazy type shifts is beyond me. Isn't it a liability if folks are sleep deprived and can make mistakes? IF they are sleep deprived and make mistakes, do they get fired or do they cut them slack? If you are a vampire, don't need sleep then this is the job for you. Just remember to bring your coffin along in your van in the parking lot so you can sleep there in the day time if need be.

Jun 12, 2017 – Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and will truly take it to heart. We recognize that working in the airport operations is certainly hard work and may not be for everyone. Thank you for being a Southwest... More

"Flight Attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay after you top out 13 years

Cons

Gone are the days of the founding father of this Airline(Culture). Herb Kellehers LUV airline is gone! Morale continues down the tubes. Very long days! Very short overnights! It's a job and nothing that special to be part of.

Advice to Management

Bring back employees first like this company took pride in doing during Herb's time.

Jun 12, 2017 – Specialist

Ultimately, it’s up to every Employee to promote and preserve our Culture across positions, work groups, and titles. We are so fortunate to have such a longstanding unique Culture, and we all must... More

3. "not as great as its cracked up to be"

Current Employee - Flight Attenant in Bwi Airport, MD
    Current Employee - Flight Attenant in Bwi Airport, MD

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

employee friendly but the pay is very low

Cons

very low pay you will work 7 days a week and still be poor

Jun 12, 2017 – Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and will truly take it to heart. We recognize that work as a Flight Attendant is certainly hard work and may not be for everyone. We are proud of the amazing Employees... More

"Stay away from Technology Org"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

Other departments may be industry best. Great benefits, employee focused. Customers love the airline and glad they do.

Cons

Coding in outdated language (C+) replacing systems and applications that are 20 to 30 years old. Outsourcing most tech roles except for oversight. If you want to keep your skills relevant and current in the industry to maintain marketability - this isnt the place to go. they will say replacing a 30 year reservation system is cutting edge .. don't be misled. Unions rule everything technology does.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page. No vision. No strategy across technology. Take ownership for the feedback the employees provide. Don't make excuses. Remember the old adage "the buck stops here"

Mar 28, 2017 – Specialist

At Southwest, we recognize that Technology is the cornerstone of our Company’s future growth and remain committed to modernizing our infrastructure, continuously improving the reliability of our... More

"Flight Attendant"

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The rate of pay was fair

Cons

terrible supervisors...always rotating in new supervisors...were very limited on their knowledge

Feb 21, 2017 – Specialist

We know that our People are our greatest asset, which is why we invest heavily in training, especially for our Leaders. Thanks for your feedback, we will take it to Heart.

6. "Ramp"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

Good benefits, you learn a lot within the ground ops department and get to work with a group of great people.

Cons

Mc Donald workers probably make more money, station management is terribly under qualified and never learn from their mistakes

Advice to Management

Hire competent supervisors and managers that can actually keep the operation running well and keep employees morale high. Buying employees food never fixes any problems!

7. "ramp agent"

Former Employee - Ramp Agent in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in South Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits travel health perks

Cons

very litte paymandatory not teamwork effort

Advice to Management

increase pay

8. "Sr. Recruiter"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Oviedo, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Oviedo, FL

I worked at Southwest Airlines (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet good people

Cons

No work life balance. Heavy micro management

"Technology Dept is not the place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, 401k match, flight benefits, health benefits

Cons

The Technology Dept is not like other parts of the company. The famous Southwest Culture doesn't exist in Technology. It is over 60% outsourced (and growing) to H1-B (Indian) workers that change every few months so they aren't loyal to the company and don't adopt anything to do with SWA Culture. The work done is mostly haphazard but doesn't matter to them since they will be gone in a few months and someone else will have to clean up the mess. Morale is low among employees and we aren't treated as a valuable part of the company; we are a necessary evil that can be replaced at the drop of a hat.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice I would give. Management doesn't listen to their employees, at least not the ones in Technology.

10. "Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Southwest Airlines (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers and the flight benefits are pretty cool

Cons

Middle management is in a non win situation. Trying to make corporate happy and trying to work with the local work force

Advice to Management

Empower your local management team

Showing 79 of 1,355 reviews