Southwest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

1,124 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Getting mandatory overtime on your 1st day off if short staffed or a lot of call outs (in 61 reviews)

• This has not detracted from my work-life balance at all, as I enjoy the work (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The best company I've had the privilege of working for!"

Current Employee - Customer Support & Services in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support & Services in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top of the line insurance, profit sharing, travel benefits, constant appreciation shown to employees, tons of motivators! They take their time with their hiring process and it works, because every leader I've met has always made me feel like my work was appreciated and made a difference.

Cons

A customer service job is always mentally and emotionally demanding. The pay has gotten better since I've started working as a CS&S rep, therefore it's all worth the hard work you put in.

Advice to Management

There is no issue with the way you treat employees. We feel the LUV! I would like to see further advancements in technology within company operations, as this would give employees more resources to assist our passengers.

"Best company to work for"

Current Employee - Flight Dispatcher in Dallas, TX

Pros

Southwest Airlines has an incredible corporate culture. Our work environment is very relaxed and "having fun" is actually believed to be an important part of the job. We are payed very well and we have a very generous benefit package (retirement, insurance, flight benefits, etc..). At Southwest you feel like you are part of a team and everyone is working together for a common goal. Management does a excellent job of communicating expectations and giving you the tools to reach your personal goals. Southwest also has a "casual" dress policy that I love. You don't have to spend a lot of money on suits and ties....

Cons

There are very few downsides to working for Southwest Airlines. I guess the one downside is that people are always asking you for free travel tickets because you work for an airline. Also, the airline industry is a very tough and competitive environment and there are no gurantees about the future. Having said that Southwest Airlines is well positioned within the industry to survive the tough times (high oil prices) and will be around for a long time. Very few downsides to working for Southwest Airlines. I have been with the company for sixteen years and I plan on staying here until I am carted off in a wheelchair :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...we love you

"SWA is a great place to be"

Current Employee - Pilot in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pilot in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Job secuity. Fun place. Awesome people. Super management.

Cons

It's a scary industry. Not so bad if you are single with no mortgage. Being away from home can be tough. That's it.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

"It definitely beats working for a living!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

Pros

The ability and freedom to travel the country (and the world, thanks to agreements with other airlines); the enjoyment of working with other like-minded, caring, funny people who enjoy what they do; a management team who truly care about their employees' well-being; the unparalleled flexibility of our schedules and trips; and meeting new, interesting, worldly people daily.

Cons

A surprising number of those "new, interesting people" are disrespectful, obnoxious, and disgusting (I have found everything from diapers to cell phones to banana peels to used hypodermic needles in seatback pockets), but that isn't really Southwest's fault. Also, if you are flying a trip with a flight attendant who has a bad attitude or is lazy or is rude (rare, but it happens), there's not much you can do to replace that person and/or avoid him for three days. Job security is also a huge concern, given the fickle desires of the traveling public and the price of fuel. But, considering all airlines, I feel safest at Southwest.

Advice to Management

Please continue to look for ways to teach and reinforce our culture of having fun and being friendly, while being the most efficient and safest airline in the country, and possibly the world.

"This is the best place to work in any industry."

Current Employee - A&P Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - A&P Technician in Dallas, TX

Pros

People have great attitudes, management always treats us with respect and dignity. This Airline will always be the best in any industry period... Fortune magaizine rates us in the top 10 ever year as the best place to work.. The pay isn't bad either...Benefits are great... We can fly anywhere we want at a discount.. I enjoy coming to work at all times during the year... And senior magagment throws great parties during the entire year... i.e Christmas, Halloween, Saint. Patricks day etc... We have great working relationships among all the careers here at Southwest Airlines .... Example The pilots will help the rampers throw bags and also help Flight Attendents do their job on the ground....

Cons

I can think of none.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"The Best Airline in the Industry..now and forever!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Bwi Airport, MD
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Bwi Airport, MD

Pros

The people are great!!! It truly is like a family here.

Cons

The supervisors are not knowledgable

Advice to Management

Stand up for the FA's more. They work very hard for this company and they are a HUGE part of what makes are customer's return over and over.

"Top company to work for in the US."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great company. They listen and are willing to work with the employees. Its a company that actually cares. They send you cards if your ill, if a family member dies, send you flowers. They have a heart that most companies dont have.

Cons

Some management officials can have a little more work on being better managers.

Advice to Management

I would advice senior management to be more proactive on some issues.

9. "Best Airline to work for. One of the best companies in the World"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Oakland, CA

Pros

Free flight benefits, major discounts on other airlines, hot chicks, awesome medical benefits, and hot chicks.

Cons

Commuting to work. Only Fortune 500 company I know of that lets their employees write each other up for petty reasons.

Advice to Management

Stop the IR's for writing up other employees. Let professional standards handle the complaints. Its like being in High School.

10. "Great place to work, plan to stay until retirement"

Current Employee - Flight Dispatcher in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company really seems to care about you as a person, not just a worker. They provide job security, good pay, great benefits, and a strong culture, all of which attract quality coworkers. Our senior leaders are very strong, and I have full confidence in their ability to keep us on the right track in a very difficult industry.

Cons

Unless you're at Headquarters or in management, it's mostly unionized. I hate unions, but I'm all but forced to be a member because my office is union. Overall our unions aren't nearly as militant as unions at many other companies, so it's not that bad. However, I get very little feedback on my job performance, good or bad. I have some great coworkers and some lousy ones, but we all get treated the same, and the bad ones don't seem to get disciplined in any way.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Ten on a scale of Five."

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Industry leading benefits, a healthy relationship between management and unions, a profitsharing plan backed by three decades of unbroken profit, and a positive, supportive environment! I don't think I've ever seen such a hearty welcome to new employees, nor have I seen so many people thinking like owners of the company, taking responsibility and ownership of how we serve our Customers and maintain our Culture, which is one of the keys to our success. With few exceptions, most of our people were "Living the Southwest Way" before they even knew what it was.

Cons

Baggage Service. I'd really like to see our numbers improve in this area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. LUV you from the bottom up!

Showing 1,124 of 1,289 reviews