Cover image for Southwest Airlines

Found 4,082 of over 5K reviews

4.1
Southwest Airlines CEO Robert E. Jordan
Robert E. Jordan

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Community, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Great benefits and profit share(in 571 reviews)
  • "This company has tremedous value for culture and a great environment(in 336 reviews)
  • "very friendly and great people to work with(in 272 reviews)
  • "Flight benefits are great if you're the kind of person who loves to travel with no guarantees.(in 236 reviews)
  • "The Perks!!! Free flights to anywhere in the U.S (they have also added Mexico recently).(in 105 reviews)
Cons
  • "pay is low at the beginning after a few yrs you will make decent amount of money(in 189 reviews)
  • "They have a record of poor management at local cities.(in 128 reviews)
  • "The only cons I can think of are the long hours and weather conditions at times.(in 79 reviews)
  • "salaries are low and they try to sell travel/401k match to make up for it(in 38 reviews)
  • "Managers do not do reviews the same way(in 35 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Southwest Airlines and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Sep 23, 2023
      Aircraft Maintenance Technician
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Fort Lauderdale, FL
      Recommend
      CEO Approval
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, pay, people, training, you can change you career within the company and everything else you can think of!

Cons

Not enough manpower to run the company. Although I know that the company is always hiring, the company is growing pretty fast with new airplanes and locations where the company needs more people in almost every department.

2. Does anyone know what type of laptops they assign to employees at Southwest Airlines?

5 comments

Guest Advocate 1

"I sincerely appreciate the offer and the opportunity to work here, but after research on the type of laptop computer I may be assigned, I am afraid I must decline."

View 5 more replies
        Dallas, TX
        Recommend
        CEO Approval
        Business Outlook

Pros

-Flight Benefits -Flexibility and decent work life harmony -Excellent 401K Match -Good colleagues who are positive -Good onsite amenities and food options

Cons

- Encourages a stifling, cult-like environment where real feedback is discouraged. - Speaking out against issues is met with harsh consequences. - Employees feel pressured to force happiness and agreement, even against their better judgment. - Voicing concerns that don't conform is detrimental to one's career. - Survival strategy: Maintain a façade of compliance, a similar to being a robot rather than a person. Smile, nod and pretend. Agree with everything and keep your mouth shut. - Inexperienced Team Leaders lacking basic people management skills lead to excessive micromanagement. - Your overall experience depends heavily on the competence of your leader. - Leadership quality varies significantly, with some leaders being less effective. - The absence of structure results in numerous illegal practices. - Examples include favoritism, exceptions for certain individuals, and other documented employment law violations. - Hiring guidelines appear to bend for specific individuals but not all, raising concerns. -Functions more like a small family-run enterprise than a billion-dollar corporation. -Leaders primarily arise from within the organization and ascend based on their seniority rather than their proficiency and aptitude for performing the role effectively. -Low salaries and no company sponsored incentives for ongoing education negatively affect job satisfaction. -A significant amount of bureaucracy necessitates multiple rounds of approvals to complete even the simplest of tasks.

2. Join the Southwest Airlines team
        See Our Latest Jobs
      3. Have an interview with Southwest Airlines this week for a Technology Consultant role. Any tips would be great! Thank you :)

1 comment

Southwest Airlines 1

Definitely be able to speak to your experience and how it relates to what they’re looking for in the JD. “Tell me about a time” behavioral questions are popular too. Spend some time on our careers site to learn more about the company and our values. You won’t find this easily but Careers.Southwestair.com/blog has some neat employee stories if you’re interested in “hearing” from employees. Congrats and good luck!

4. Can anyone refer me to Southwest Airlines or UT Southwestern Medical Center / Children’s Health (Dallas?

1 comment

Supply Chain and Safety Coordinator 1

My experience with Southwest is that you need to know someone who will physically walk your name to the right people in the right office. There is not a spot to put a referral in any of the applications. A friend of mine is a high-level manager, and knowing someone in the company is not helpful sometimes and landing a job in a different department. Good luck.

5. Anyone working for Southwest Airlines that can give a referral? Please and thank you!

5 comments

Consultant 1

What kind of role? I know a half dozen recruiters there but they mostly do airports positions

View 5 more replies
      Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,082 Reviews
      </>Embed

Southwest Airlines Reviews FAQs

Southwest Airlines has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 4,612 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at Southwest Airlines to a friend and 67% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Southwest Airlines employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Southwest Airlines. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

76% of Southwest Airlines employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Southwest Airlines 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Southwest Airlines to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Southwest Airlines Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Underwriter

What level of influence do potential stakeholders have in the decision-making process during a peer interview? For instance, in my upcoming 3rd round interview involving three peers, following successful phone screenings and VP interviews, would a scenario where one peer has a positive impression while the others don't, or vice versa, significantly impact my chances of securing the job?

1 Comment

Administrative Assistant

Hello, Is it bad to have a lot jobs on your resume? I have like 7 jobs but they were all contract positions, which I put next to jobs that they were contract. But is it a bad thing on resume?

0 Comments

RASHIDAT Yusuf

I am in need of job

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 4,612 Southwest Airlines reviews submitted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Southwest Airlines is right for you.