Southwest Airlines Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Southwest Airlines US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Get mandatory overtime from late night to mid morning (in 64 reviews)

• This has not detracted from my work-life balance at all, as I enjoy the work (in 19 reviews)

1. "Project Mgr Review"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good team
    Great support from peers and management

Cons

Better training in business understanding

Advice to Management

Feedback on performance is not timely

"Very Satisfied"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

There is an excellent corporate culture!

Cons

Little job advancement. Stagnant growth in my field of expertise.

Advice to Management

Some leaders are incompetent, others are beyond excellent. Our department is currently working on a strategy to level the playing field and I'm extremely grateful.

"Satisfied employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The benefits are good, the work culture and people are also very enjoyable to work with. It's not a stuffy environment and generally speaking it's pretty easy going most of the time. Most people who work here stay for long periods of time because of the culture and benefits.

Cons

The company culture can be, at times, a little unprofessional. The salaries tend to be a little below market value and even though the health benefits are really good, the opportunity to advance within the company often seems to be more about popularity than actual job performance.

Advice to Management

Management should look at the needs of their employees and realize that in order to grow and have better employees, perhaps there should be more opportunities to grow within the company. Take away the policy of using sick leave (that is a benefit) affecting promotion status, it's ridiculous, sometimes you get sick during the year, it shouldn't keep someone from being able to move into a new internal position or being promoted.

4. "LUV SWA, But Don't Get Hurt"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Flexible schedule, free flight benefits, 401K match, fun employees. Health care if you need it was good.

Cons

Some of the overtime rules were not good, for example; you could close at night getting out after midnight and be forced in for mandatory overtime at 6am, or mandatory OT day after day! The worst is getting hurt on the job.They really don't do anything to help you keep your job. I could not lift anymore. as a result, no job. They would not allow me to do a part of the job at the gate area that required no lifting. It is a true shame because I truly loved my job as a Customer Service Agent and I miss my co-workers and customers who end up being like family. I would definately work for Southwest Airlines again if given the opportunity, perhaps as a reservation agent!!!

Advice to Management

Don't turn your back on those employess who gave you many years of excellent Customer Service. Make sure you have a plan to assist us, which you don't offer now. I would gladly come back to assist you in creating a program to help the injured worker...

The only other thing I would say is to kkep up the good work Southwest, I miss you terribly!

"Southwest Airlines Internship Review"

Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great people, really awesome benefits for interns, a fun place to work, great organized intern activities, casual dress, opportunities to come back and work upward in the company, best place I've worked.

Cons

Dallas might not be your preferred city to live in, the pay is not high compared with internships with other Fortune 500 companies, and unfortunately I was there during the worst of the recession so there was a hiring freeze.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I had a great supervisor who really cared about my experience there and also about me having fun and traveling, which was a great perk. This is a wonderful place to intern, and I know, I've had a few other internships with big companies.

"Great place to work as long as you are outside of Technology."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great flight and insurance benefits. Best place to work if you need job security.

Cons

Technology management is clueless and does not have a vision for the future. Most big projects are outsourced since Technology has a lot of old mainframe type guys sticking around who do very little.

Advice to Management

Job security is great but not at the cost of the company. Cut those who don't want to learn or push the business in the right direction. Gary needs to cut almost all of the Technology Leadership ranks. Stop hiring from Pepsi, EDS and Feld Group. These people are dragging us down.

"very good place to work you do have to work hard ..but you also have time between flights for down time (rest eat etc)"

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

good people at our level willingness to step in and help you good ,pay after you`ve been there awhile ,great benefits and diversity of job never know what you will be doing or where

Cons

have you heard of the (Peter Princible) sp for upper managment that says it all

Advice to Management

listen to your frontline people they have been there some of you have .but sooooooooo long ago times they are a`changing

"The best airline to work for by far"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Highest pay scale in the industry, very flexible job, great co-workers, a real family atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

Working the holidays can be lonely.

Advice to Management

Just keep us strong!

"LUV the culture"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Best Company culture ever
    Sense of brotherhood
    Great company History
    Excellent former CEO
    Long lasting friendships
    Camarederie
    Travel benefits for self and family

Cons

Middle management is very poor. There are some people I would not have hired, since SWA does not like firing people, this only gets worse.
    Slow, laidback attitude.

Advice to Management

Clean up the senior management rank. Yes, they have been here for 15 years but they are ruining the fine company started by Herb

"Grateful every day..."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL

Pros

I love this company. While we are all aware that we are a business and need to make money, SWA gives the front-line employees such freedom to make the job our own. They encourage us to treat our passengers as if they were guests in our own living room. I love my passengers. They have brought meaning and joy to my life. Of course, on some short full flights it is just slinging drinks but, if you keep your eyes open, you can find opportunities to make someone's day a little brighter.

Cons

I am concerned that some of our more recently-hired employees don't quite "get it." They need to understand that when they are using their phones/PDAs or doing anything else other than interacting with our customers (of course, one must take a much-needed break to eat, etc.), they are doing a disservice to our customers and all the other employees who truly care about our company.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it seems as though management decides to implement a new program just for the sake of doing something new. New isn't necessarily better. I think it would be helpful for more of the people who manage flight attendants to have had real experience in working as a flight attendant.

Showing 26 of 1,380 reviews