Cover image for Southwest Airlines

What people are saying about Southwest Airlines

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Travel benefits were great and fun.(in 496 reviews)
  • "They care about their employees and have a great culture!(in 315 reviews)
  • "I also enjoyed working with some really great people and will miss my co(in 233 reviews)
  • "Flight benefits are great if you're the kind of person who loves to travel with no guarantees.(in 195 reviews)
  • "It is very fun and the pay is great.(in 165 reviews)
Cons
  • "They have a record of poor management at local cities.(in 108 reviews)
  • "The only cons I can think of are the long hours and weather conditions at times.(in 68 reviews)
  • "starting salary is too low(in 34 reviews)
  • "Managers do not do reviews the same way(in 33 reviews)
  • "Supervisors have little or no authority ....Shift work prevents good mechnics from being leads.(in 21 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Southwest Airlines and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For!

Jul 29, 2022 - Learning Developer in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Southwest Airlines practices the element of inclusion more than any other company I've worked with. Everyone has a voice, and the element of respect is unconditionally present at all times. NO WORDS will ever describe how indebted I feel to be apart of this company. It's a priceless feeling!

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons currently.

2 people found this review helpful

Southwest Airlines Response

We’re so glad to have you as part of the Southwest Family! Inclusion has always been at the Heart of who we are at Southwest, and we're committed to evolving our hiring, training, and development processes to drive progress and change. By engaging, understanding, and drawing on a variety of perspectives we can continue to celebrate our People and further enrich our Culture. We’re proud you're part of that enrichment!

2. 5.0

Great Teams and Great Benefits

Dec 6, 2022 - Associate Technical Writer in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing travel, health, and retirement benefits.

Cons

Slow to move as a company or promote.

3. Join the Southwest Airlines team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great atmosphere but old school mentality at top

Nov 11, 2022 - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are wonderful, job pays well, and the work is FUN.

Cons

Old school, boots-on-the-ground mentality from senior leaders. We went from mostly remote work to now having to come into campus at least 3 days every single week. They’ve taken all the flexibility away and are essentially making us go back to “punching the clock” from 8:30-5. Lots of great people from my generation are very upset and those leaders truly do not care. Currently updating my resume to apply for jobs elsewhere. It’s sad because I’m otherwise so happy at SWA.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0

steadily declining

Dec 3, 2022 - Ramp Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

never have to work a full 8 hrs. planes come in bursts. get plenty of downtime work culture is pretty relaxed both in a negative and positive way.

Cons

have to work outside in the elements. very physically demanding . expect to walk at least 3-4 miles per shift and continually lift heavy cargo and luggage. over the years less money has gone into taking care/appreciation of the employees. This has eroded the worker morale and has made it just another paycheck to a lot of people.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people culture

Dec 1, 2022 - Ramp Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Southwest is a great place to work. The culture is one of the best in the industry. I met more friends in my short time there compared with longer tenures at other airlines. People really look out for each other, as it is unionized. Flight benefits. Great place to get your foot in the door if you’re planning for a career in the airline industry, as opportunities to move up and around the system are endless.

Cons

Micromanagement is a problem; plenty of jobs that exist that are more consolidated with other airlines. The union is a blessing and a curse; they are a really big help, as some management leaders are hired out of desperation and are rushed into their position without being thoroughly trained in all aspects of what they are to supervise/manage (people with no airline experience should go through at least 6 months of being a ramp agent to get a grasp that this industry is not like other jobs), leading to very few standard protocols that carry over between different stations and questionable management and supervisory decisions at work that are constantly checked and balanced by the union. The union can be a curse, as pay rate changes aren’t across the system, as the union is the factor halting it and other changes from being more streamlined and immediate, there are many people that have an “entitled” mentality, employing a minimal effort approach to work, and, of course, union dues. Southwest is a primarily domestic airline, so flight benefits are mainly in the U.S. and a small number of Caribbean destinations. Mandatory overtime on your first day off and extensions are to be expected for at least six months from when you start, due to inadequate staffing. Do not expect a 9 to 5 schedule, with weekends and holidays off, when you first start. Some work systems/tools are behind compared to other airlines.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Co-workers are great, customers are not.

Dec 5, 2022 - Customer Support and Services in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote position so working from home is great, flight benefits, very generous 401K match.

Cons

Nonstop phone calls with no breaks in between. 30min unpaid lunch, very micromanaged, you have to try and coordinate bathroom breaks with either your lunch or one of 2 15 minute breaks. Airline industry is tough right now and many customers calling are irate.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

The Spirit of the LUV Airline is strong!

Oct 19, 2022 - Sr. Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

If SWA can get through a global pandemic without firing / or furloughing a single employee - We can do anything. The Spirit and Heart of SWA are strong. The employees here are a pretty incredible conglomerate of hard working, fun, individuals who together make Southwest, Southwest - One helluva Texas Airline!

Cons

We certainly have our issues - like many airlines. But the pros will always outweigh the cons and the grass is always greener on the other-side. There are few companies where, the term "Boomerang" exists as much as it does at Southwest - AKA people who leave looking for greener pastures and are back within 6 months or a few years.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Amazing Job

Dec 1, 2022 - Customer Service Agent (CSA)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Schedules Travel amazing benefits Flexible Customer contact Benefits Friendly staffs

Cons

Odd schedules Mandatory overtime Union Low pay rate

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's a LOT of work

Nov 11, 2022 - Operations Agent in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits...free paid day off January-October. I rarely made my base hourly salary because I was on overtime frequently.

Cons

Everything is governed by a union contract and therefore, seniority. If you're new expect to work a lot, probably on your days off...expect to come in early and stay late. One rule: don't ever answer your phone if you're off and they call for overtime, unless you want to work. Oh and there are a LOT of managers/supervisors. Like everyone is or could be in charge of you and it changes literally every day.

11. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good place to work

Dec 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people great company great pay

Cons

Getting too big, loosing culture

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,507 Reviews
</>Embed

Southwest Airlines Reviews FAQs

Southwest Airlines has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 3,979 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Southwest Airlines to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Southwest Airlines employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Southwest Airlines. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

79% of Southwest Airlines employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Southwest Airlines 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Southwest Airlines to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be work life balance, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Southwest Airlines Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Southwest Airlines? Share Your Experiences

Southwest Airlines logo

Southwest Airlines Careers

Cover image for Southwest Airlines

A career by you, for you At Southwest®, you're empowered to create your own career; one that fits the goals–and lifestyle–you want. ...More

• A job built on partnership
  • A Culture of caring
  • A part of a winning Team

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

29 days ago

Hiring
We're hosting a hiring event on November 17 from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the DoubleTree by Hilton – Denver International Airport. Our Team will be onsite giving on-the-spot interviews and job offers for Candidates eager to join the Southwest Family as a Ramp Agent, Provisioning Agent, or Cargo Agent. If you’re interested in joining our Ground Operations Team at the Denver International Airport, visit swa.is/DenverHiring to register and stop by the hiring event to learn more. Not sure when you can make it? That’s ok! Walk-ins are also welcome. We hope to see you there!
Shared image - November 2022 Denver Hiring Event | Southwest
November 2022 Denver Hiring Event | Southwest
careers.southwestair.com

42 days ago

Hiring
Are you someone who loves being outdoors, and thrives in a team-based environment? Then we want to meet you! We're hosting a Ramp Agent Hiring Event Thursday, November 3 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the Hilton Nashville Airport. Being a member of the Southwest Airlines® Family is much more than a job, it’s a career with Heart! Our Ramp Agents are passionate about helping people and providing Legendary Customer Service by directing planes on the ground, handling cargo/baggage, and ensuring our ground operations run smoothly. Their hard work and guidance are critical to our success at Southwest. We couldn't operate without them! Stop by to learn more about joining the Southwest Family as a Ramp Agent in Nashville.
Shared image - Nashville Ramp Agent Hiring Event | Southwest
Nashville Ramp Agent Hiring Event | Southwest
swa.is

Southwest Airlines Photos

+ Add Photo
Southwest Airlines photo of: Without a Heart, it's just a machine.
Southwest Airlines photo of: Not just a Career, a Calling

United Airlines

4.1

5,663 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 3,979 Southwest Airlines reviews submitted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Southwest Airlines is right for you.