Southwest Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Southwest Ambulance President & CEO Michael DiMino
Michael DiMino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place for EMT-B"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice quarters, generous uniform allowance, good trucks. I had a great experience working here for over 8 years. I would definitely recommend this company to any up and coming EMT-B out of school.

Cons

No pay raise for 5 years but I think that changed after I left. Now I believe they are on a step system and are getting fair and regular raises.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management. Continue to take care of employees and hold down the fort. The company is doing well and I was happy to work with you all at Southwest Ambulance.

2. "Good experience"

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time

Pros

Great experience for someone new to the field

Cons

The ambos aren't as great

Advice to Management

Care...

3. "EMT"

Former Employee - EMT-B
    Former Employee - EMT-B

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked here for a while and I didn't have a problem with this place. You get to drive around town, yes your busy but makes time go by fast and you get to use you're skills as an EMT. Most of the people are great to work with.

Cons

Equipment was getting old, mostly the ambulances but I've heard they are upgrading them .

Advice to Management

Thank you for your hard work goes a long way.

4. "EMT"

Pros

You will meet all different kinds of coworkers and patients, some experiences are really rewarding

Cons

You will also meet some terrible people, both coworkers and patients- stay positive

5. "Needs to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great way to get experience

Cons

management does not care about the employee - numbers only

Advice to Management

learn to keep employee's happy - without culture your company will fail

6. "Ok for the new EMT fresh out of school"

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

interfacility and EMS shifts are available. Most of the field employees are good people. An ok place to get some experience while looking to peruse better options.

Cons

Ambulances are always breaking. Don't think about getting off on time. Some dispatchers will hold you over just because they can.

Advice to Management

Employee has been at a low for years, there is a lot of experience in the field. If you treated your employees better, you wouldn't have seasoned employees leaving.

7. "emt"

Pros

good overtime and good exposure to ems

Cons

bad management and long hours, bad station housing

8. "Southwest Ambulance cares about you, if you are an almighty dollar."

Former Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good field level employees, Madatory certifications paid for, Offers chance to attain higher certification, Union membership optional,

Cons

Extremely poor management, lack of communication with field level employees, failure to bargain effectively with union regarding pay and pension, multiple NLRB complaints, favoritism shown to certain employees while others are disciplined harshly for relatively minor infractions, mandatory 2 hour hold for all trucks which can be extended to 5+ hours depending on dispatchers and management, low pay, poor benfits, management focused on compensation and financial gain rather than delivering exceptional service.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees. Establish effective dialogue. Stop promising things and not delivering. Stop trying to cut pay and hours, which are already low as is. Those of us in the field have to be able to live and thrive as well. Cutting pay, benefits and hours not only takes this away from employees, but also causes a decrease in morale, a decline in customer satisfaction, and leads to an ineffective workforce and business model. With a competitor coming into the market, rather than giving employees a reason to leave, you should be focused on retaining employees, especially those with experience. Instead, morale is at an all time low, and many people are looking for almost any way out. Stop the favoritism shown to select employees and have a set standard that ALL employees, including management are held to. The EMS field is about caring for people. Yes, it focuses on delivering exceptional patient care, but until you start caring for your employees instead of giving all your focus to the almighty dollar, you haven't even begun to be able to provide what the customer/pt truly needs.

9. "Don't Work Here."

Current Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees on the ambulances are the best. The only thing keeping the few dedicated employees around is a sense of camaraderie and dedication to each other and the people we serve.

Cons

Mandatory 2 hour holds at the end of 12 hour shifts. Less than average pay for EMT's and Paramedics, high turnover rate, not flexible with regards to school. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Pay your field employees a fair wage, control outrageous dispatchers and get rid of the two hour hold and you will see an increase in productivity and employee satisfaction.

10. "Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - EMT-B in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, there is no upside to working for this company

Cons

Terrible pay, management, benefits, and equipment. Dispatchers are vindictive with no disciplinary action. The whole company is inefficient in everything that it does.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start, this company is in such bad shape you might as well just start over from the beginning