Southwest Behavioral Health Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Southwest Behavioral Health Services Reviews

Updated May 5, 2017

Jeff Jorde

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hours were awesome and I had a great boss

Cons

Now after trying to get back to working after a bad accident it seems as though hiring managers won't come out and say it, but they do not like people who are disabled.

Advice to Management

Retrain hiring managers in ADA compliance. Stop letting HR cover for them. The people I interviewed with apparently didn't write everything down on their feedback forms, and only saw that I walk with a cane. Apparently knowing clients from one program, and them remembering you despite some cognitive function loss from a certain medical condition doesn't speak to the impact a BHT can have on a client. The managers at the Desert Cove house need to be retrained in how to properly interview a possible staff member, and also need to be retrained on complete note taking if they are going to be responsible for interviewing. I am filing an ADA complaint next week since the HR manager didn't get back to me regarding this issue.

2. "Overburdened industry"

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services full-time

Pros

Good place to start your counseling career and get your supervision hours

Cons

Caseloads are incredibly high due to lack of funding, and state oversight creates high rates of burnout

"The agency is very innovative."

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Buckeye, AZ
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Buckeye, AZ

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long history of business within the community. Great system of care to meet the needs of staff and clients.

Cons

Very Cliqish. If you are with the in group you are covered if not manages and managers will set you up for failure.

Advice to Management

Resolve middle management biases.

4. "Could use improvement"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bullhead City, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bullhead City, AZ

Pros

Good benefits, mostly nice co-workers, fun work environment.

Cons

Only accepts AHCCCS insurance. Not enough staff & unusually high staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Look into accepting more insurance carriers. Revamp employee satisfaction in order to retain good workers.

"Good Pay; Scary Work Conditions"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Kingman, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kingman, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Behavioral Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent base pay, well-intended staff, provides the coffee (a necessity), benefits and days off are fair compared to other places I've worked. Facilities are being upgraded.

Cons

This is the most money oriented non-profit I've ever worked at. Senior management will fail to hold accountable the clients for criminal behavior and have made it known that should murder or violence happen to staff they will NOT help the county to prosecute. There is no staff sense of safety working here. Case Managers will get their own office before a Clinician who has to office share and often gets stuck with tons of case management drowning out the opportunities to do counseling-not a good place to get your licensure requirements completed in a timely manner. Quite frankly, everyday I wonder why I got my Master's since working here.

Advice to Management

HMS system for inputting notes is not logical nor intuitive, in fact, it is hell to learn.

"Counselor"

Former Intern - Counselor in Mohave Valley, AZ
    Former Intern - Counselor in Mohave Valley, AZ

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with clients and motivating them and giving them hope; watching them make changes in their life.

Cons

Politics and work load made it difficult to give the clients the attention and services they deserved

7. "fair"

Former Employee - Child Services in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Child Services in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

company benefits were generally fair, though health insurance could have been better, but employee feedback seemed to be considered on a regular basis

Cons

not as many choices regarding one's health insurance as there could have been, but employee feed back seemed to be regularly considered and/or requested

8. "BHT"

Pros

Good work/life balance at my site.

Cons

The pay is so low for the amount of work we do.

9. "Social Work can be tough"

Current Employee - Behavior Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Behavior Coach in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Everyone works as a team. Upper management is helpful. The people you work with are fun to work with.

Cons

Low pay, expected to work long hours/from home to get notes in on time, the way they do productivity is not fair to Bx Coaches and Case Managers.

10. "a company to work for to start your career"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Behavioral Health Services as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

some time it could be fun

Cons

the company doesn't have any growth