Southwest Consulting Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Southwest Consulting Associates Reviews

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Extremely good place to work and overall a very enjoyable experience"

Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Plano, TX

Pros

I enjoyed being given responsibility as opposed to doing mindless data entry work

Cons

Things are fairly slow moving and it would be easy to do less work in a day if you were not self motivated

Advice to Management

Great management all around!

"Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - IT/Systems Engineering in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT/Systems Engineering in Plano, TX

I worked at Southwest Consulting Associates full-time

Pros

There were strong personal benefits early on (rapidly were declining around the time I left). Similar to this, there was potential for career advancement early on, but I began to see opportunities dry up as the years went on, especially for those hired after me.

Cons

Really poor management. I didn't get the sense that there was any commitment to understanding the everyday operations. Upper management seemed entirely focused on external threats, while ignoring the pressing concerns of their own employees and business methods. Technology was overlooked, likely due to the lack of understanding of anything IT related by most of the top management. When I started, I would have rated this a 4-star company, when I left, I felt it deserved 1 star. There are much better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

Need more internal focus. Also need to take courses in IT and Enterprise management if the company is going to be based around it.

"Great job for new graduates, but no professional growth"

Former Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Plano, TX

Pros

Benefits were great
    If you're able to make good with the VPs, then you will definitely get promoted
    Good exposure to trends in health care, but specific to their product line
    Small company with good family values

Cons

Like any company, there can be clicks but often times we felt like we were back in high school
    Consultants are made managers without any proper training, many of them are poor people managers
    Annual reviews were a joke. You would spend several days completing these ridiculous questionnaires and it became clear senior management didn't really read any of it for your review.
    The company was too narrowly focused and didn't diversify their product.
    Very redundant and monotonous work. It's a pro if you like working with lots of data.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on training senior management to be people managers

"Declining Company"

I worked at Southwest Consulting Associates full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits were good as a whole. Work life balance was also good for the most part. Never really worked more than 40-45 hours per week, except in rare circumstances. Very casual environment; shorts were the norm in the summer months.

Cons

Overall benefits were good, but one downside was a large portion of the compensation was tied up in a year end bonus. The base salary was not very good, so it left staff waiting for a large portion of their income until Dec of each year, which contributed to some uncertainty. The upper management had very little experience elsewhere, which showed up in the negative way that many staff were managed: politics were always more important than work quality. Very few advancement opportunities existed because the company hasn't grown in years. The company also has a very narrow focus, so staff aren't exposed to much, making it difficult to grow and learn. The work was often VERY monotonous. Lots of staff have left in recent years, with those positions never being replaced. It very much felt like a company on the decline.

Advice to Management

Find ways to expand the business and/or invest in the employees. Some fresh blood could be very helpful.

"Good benefits, everything else is pretty terrible."

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Southwest Consulting Associates full-time

Pros

The pay was pretty decent while I worked there, the benefits are nice, and the dress code is casual. It is a very non-professional environment.

Cons

Other than the benefits, SCA is a pretty awful company to be working for. The job itself is mindless. All you do is sort data and click buttons 90% of the time, and it doesn't change. The upper management seems to have very little leadership experience, and therefore don't recognize leadership in lower employees either. This created an atmosphere where the people who only looked out for themselves thrived, and the team players were treated poorly. Favoritism/Office politics are very important here, so you have to suck up to the right people, or it will not matter how hard you work. It is also very easy to get pinned to an "identity" that you can not change, which can be very frustrating. Lastly, there is very little room for professional growth. The company is a very niche industry, so the experience is not very helpful later on, and the upper management likes keeping a strict tier system that keeps lower employees from growing professionally.

Advice to Management

Get some professional degrees, and learn that leadership is an important quality over just pure production numbers.