Southwest Gas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Jeffrey W. Shaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Benefits and pension plan (in 6 reviews)

• Great work environment, Friendly Coworkers, Supervisors and Management are easy to approach (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Its no surprise the HR department has had such high turnover, especially in Arizona division (in 4 reviews)

• Pension is good to have, 401k match lower than neighboring utilities (in 3 reviews)

1. "Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing company, still has wonderful benefits. Love my co-workers!

Cons

I don't have any cons.

2. "Supervisor"

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time

Pros

Amzing organization full of amazing people

Cons

there really are none to list. Truly

Advice to Management

None. Positive Leaders who foster growth

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Pension, Good Pay, Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Health Costs can be high for family

"Do you want to be incompetent + Unethical (It’s not illegal)?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are full time:
    Good benefits
    Pension
    Probably can stay there for ever … let me rephrase, you are stuck over there forever, you know like a prison, details in the cons

Cons

-People are just very incompetent over there (there are a few exceptions, and that is because they left or are leaving). Basically a job is like a language. If you do not practice that language (job) by speaking it (executing your job) you will forget it (you will not improve yourself). There are people who stayed there for years and now they admit it that they cannot find any job anywhere else. Basically after a few years of working there your skills do not get improved and when you go somewhere else, in the interview people will see it and cannot get another job. So if you are 50 years old and don’t want to work anywhere else that can be an option, but if you are young … Don’t shoot yourself in the foot!
    -They are a utility company. As a utility company they must provide customer service. They don’t know what is customer service. Don’t believe me, go read the google reviews! Still don’t believe me? Scroll up on the page: do you see that red dot that says “Is this your company?”, they are not even engaged! They don’t care what people say about them, I mean it’s a big company, make an effort people! Still don’t believe me? As of today when I type on my google search “Southwest Gas Facebook” one of the very first results is “I HATE SOUTHWEST GAS!”. I am not kidding try it!
    If they don’t have enough money they just charge the customers more for gas, and the regulations cannot stop them from that! So unethical which leads to the next point.
    - About ethics: They have absolutely no work ethic. They don’t understand that doing a bad job affect not only customers but also their coworkers. In a group there was a contractor that got fired because there was no more budget because the business team was too incompetent to get the requirements of the project. Just like this a good talented person who was helping everyone got fired! Reason: no budget! Ethic and Professionalism are different. They basically very professionally kick a very good and actual competent people out.

Advice to Management

Review your work ethics and actually manage your people. Basically Unethical actions + bad customer service will follow you if you work for this company and wherever you go they will ask you about it. So if you want to build a career and/or don’t want to contribute to raising the rate for families that cannot afford Natural Gas, don’t work there.Again if you don’t believe me and think that I am just angry, try their google reviews and “Southwest Gas Facebook”.

"HR Department"

Pros

Overall as a whole, great company to work for. Benefits are good and the people in operations are awesome to work with.

Cons

Management in the HR department is stuck in their ways and not open to new ideas. They hire new talent that should help make the department better but management is unwilling to bend or be flexible to new ideas. You hear a lot of "that's the way we've always done things", well hate to break it to you but you cant evolve with that mentality. Guess that's what you get when management has been there for 30+ years, that's all they know. As a newbie, they expect you to come in and be a robot and follow orders, if you question the status quo, they hold it against you. But if you are a robot, and follow orders or if you are hired in as a friend of management, life is great and the sky is the limit for your career. Its no surprise the HR department has had such high turnover, especially in Arizona division.

Advice to Management

Be open to ideas from your new hires, they were hired for a reason. As management, if you are not open to new ideas or learning, you will never evolve. Things are not the same they were 30, 20, or even 5 years ago. Change is hard but you have to be open to it in order to be successful.
    Offer exit interviews to all employees, not just the ones you know will say good things. One sided exit interviews will never help a company out. The answers you hear may not be what you want to hear, but can be an opportunity for change.

6. "Easily the best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, training, vacation time - even a pension. Almost everyone that works there wants to be there and is easy to work with.

Cons

No major complaints about this company

7. "Company"

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and pension plan.

Cons

Insurance deductible is a little high.

Advice to Management

Most managers are open and welcoming.

8. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Field Employee
    Current Employee - Field Employee

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time

Pros

Great stability, good supervisors and management in my area. Lots of overtime if you want it, even if you don't.

Cons

Pay scale much lower than neighboring utilities. Overtime required to make a decent wage, depending on your area it may not be a living wage. On call standby and call out pay lower than neighboring utilities. Pension is good to have, 401k match lower than neighboring utilities. Seems like you need to know the right people to get a promotion. Longevity at the company is rewarded over accomplishments, incompetent employees are kept based on years of service.

Advice to Management

Put more value in field employees, pay them what they are worth, they are what keeps your company operating. Reward accomplishments, weed out incompetent employees.

"Dispatch"

Current Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, lots of movement in company due to so many employees reaching retirement age. This department in particular has a lot of overtime opportunity.

Cons

Management in this department in particular is unorganized and isn't meeting the needs of the department

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who have been with the department for a long time, they are knowledgeable and can provide insight into what the department needs.

10. "Service Technician"

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and management treats you very fair.

Cons

Hours can be long. Required to do on-call duty 24-7 about one week per month.