Southwest Gas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey W. Shaw

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, lots of movement in company due to so many employees reaching retirement age (in 4 reviews)

• Exposure to corporate culture, great pay for an internship, opportunity to learn (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay raises are inadequate and a high deductible health insurance (in 3 reviews)

• This is how the SWG treats its Contractors whom are day in and day out processing the back log of work as the regular employees without benefits (in 3 reviews)

1. "Dispatch"

Current Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Emergency Dispatcher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, lots of movement in company due to so many employees reaching retirement age. This department in particular has a lot of overtime opportunity.

Cons

Management in this department in particular is unorganized and isn't meeting the needs of the department

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who have been with the department for a long time, they are knowledgeable and can provide insight into what the department needs.

2. "cad/GIS technician"

Former Employee - CAD/GIS Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CAD/GIS Technician in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I got along with my coworkers real good. and had a good relationship with my boss.

Cons

i was working thru a staffing agency (allstaff services) inside southwest gas company, but when we needed to get a hold of the staffing agency, it would be difficult.

"Southwest Gas - Driven by Corporate Holdings"

Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Assistance Specialist in Carson City, NV

Pros

They pay the average wage as reviewed every three years across the US. You won't be the best or worse paid for the job you do, but you will get the average wage. A very conservative Company. Those with a Right wing attitude will do better than those with a Left Wing or even a middle wing attitude. If you are known a boss smoocher then you have a better chance at success at this company. If you are own person and provide honest feed back to your supervisor or management as whole you will not do well here.

Cons

Health Benefits are a joke. They are just another corporation that is trying it's best to push employees into going on a spouses insurance or that of Obama care. It's basically enough to keep you from declaring bankruptcy should the worse occur. If you have to use it they do everything in their power to be rid of you. I had three bosses all with different attitudes and desires that I had to attend to. If you don't hold a position within the company that demands a college degree, you will be treated like a black sheep and nothing you say or do will amount to anything. They will use you until you are a dried husk of the person you once where, never acknowledging your contributions, never supporting you in work, and always looking for blame before solutions or success. It was most depressing and negative place I have ever worked at. Every Kudo they provide is based on popularity. If you don't fit in with the crowd you will be chiseled and hammered until you give up or they make you fit. 100% of the time any upward movement is predetermined, yet they will request you apply for it anyway with the foreknowledge that they don't want you in the position. You may not be a number at Southwest Gas, but it is only a matter of time until your position becomes that of a Contract (temp employee) worker. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is profit. At least 8 other employees in the department that I worked in all left or where forced to retire and filed with the company their similar complaints. Southwest gas never took any real action to improve the working conditions. Of the eight I am writing about at least two went out on leave for mental breakdown conditions. My best advice is to avoid this company.

Advice to Management

It is only a matter of time until the employees join together to create a company wide union and you reap what you have sown.

"Terrible environment"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, some of the people, the location, learned a lot about how utilities work. Learned a lot about gas works

Cons

Let's see...the mandatory ot, the upset people calling because of the fees, the people calling who can't pay their bill, the people rightfully upset because we couldn't get a tech out quick enough. A lot of times there was literally nothing we could do. The company truly doesn't care about customer service. The people that have worked there for years are pretty much jerks, the mgrs think getting us lunch once in awhile is one of the best benefits (it's not, every company I've worked for does that) as a new employee the leads would be extremely rude, their attendance policy is extremely strict. I'm talking 1 min late is a documentation. Oh and if you call in they want every single detail why. And God forbid your computer doesn't load up on time. It was seriously the worst place I've worked, and I've had a lot of jobs over the years. The only reason people stay is because they think they can't find anything making that kind of money. Oh and forget about advancement unless you have a degree or 5 years under your belt.

Advice to Management

Customer service, extend call center hours, and maybe not be so strict on when you log into the computer.

6. "Shop Supervisor"

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Gas (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, pension

Cons

Not enough opportunity for support service employees

7. "Intern's Prospective"

Former Employee - Intern in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

I learned a phenomenal amount. This is from the numerous people I worked with at the company. Their organization is very well done and efficient.

Cons

It is a utility and thus some boredom can occur. Co-workers are an interesting medley of people from many walks of life and while that is somewhat of a good thing, you will come across people that are not to your liking.

Advice to Management

As an intern, I would ask management to be a little more involved and have a revolving door of things to do. And while interns can change groups they work with-if while they are with one group there is nothing to do-see if its possible they could help/learn/work with another group.

"Great atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly employees always willing to help.
    Professional executives.
    Offers a pension.

Cons

Employees initially only have 10 days of vacation until the five year mark.
    Set schedules, no flex time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. Get to know the employees.

9. "Decent opportunity"

Pros

Cons

Obvious favoritism, very conservative, nepotism

Advice to Management

Work on retention

"Stable but stubborn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Southwest Gas is a stable company. They like it that way. The company has been in operation for over 86 years and prides itself on never having to lay anyone off. They offer 401K with Matching and a Pension. There are people there who have worked for the company their entire lives and been happy to do so.

Cons

As is common with other energy utility companies, they are not very progressive. Extremely slow and resistant to change. This can be very frustrating for people in the IT community such as myself as technology changes all the time. The company is very focused on the "team" and anyone pushing beyond the group can be precieved more as a threat to the norm than a doer and motivator. There is a very big "everything is awesome" mentality which causes a disconnect between the workers and management.

- Insurance benefits get worse and worse every year.
    - Company keeps trying to do more with less.
    - Senior Management is very unapproachable

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more open and less resitive to change. There is a great disconnect between the operations people and management because management only listens to the management below them and doesn't take the initiative to understand issues directly from the people in the field

"stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas (Less than a year)

Pros

If full time, it is one of the last places that still has retirement

Cons

Good ole boy mentality, its who you know not what you do. Long term dead wood will take the credit for work you do

Advice to Management

Review who actually gets the work done rather than who takes credit for it