Southwest General Health Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Southwest General Health Center Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2019

3.6
Southwest General Health Center President & CEO William A. Young
William A. Young
  1. "Senior Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH

I worked at Southwest General Health Center full-time

Pros

Some nice people to work with

Cons

Long hours which aren't necessary due to the department having low technical skills

Advice to Management

Develop a better relationship with IT so you can automate your close. It is 2015 and you still have a 5-7 day close

Southwest General Health Center2015-08-16

"Love it here! Humbled and proud, working w/outstanding people... but Mngt and HR are beyond EVIL!!!"

Current Employee - Patient Acce in Middleburg, OH

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers, nurses and docs in the ER are knowledgeable, well trained and very focused on patient care. Fun, entertaining, caring staff treat each other like family... for better or worse! ER staff is incredibly professional, intelligent and competent with patients but also some of the goofiest, raunchies, thick-skinned, most hillarious gossip queens ive ever met. In an atmoaphere that can be chaotic, overwhelming ... heartbreaking and crazy-making it's nice to be part of a staff that can find positivity, light and humor throughout the days and nights. People make true friendships and real relationahips that last even after employment ends

Cons

While the staff is exceptional- the management is pathetic. Dept managers: clueless, catty, coward who hides behind a desk all day and has no involvement or communication with staff. Too lazy to make changes to a flawed, outdated system. Ungrateful and unappreciative of hardworking, dedicated employees. Absolute lack of care for patients, visitors and employees. Never acknowledges or praises good work, but thrilled... to embarassing people by addressing any negative issues or "errors" (which are usually not actually errors ) in front of coworkers. Lack of understanding regarding actual job duties. Ridiculously, have no standardized training, no dept trainer, no protocol for dept onboarding or education in dept. Manager celebrates gossip, lacks professionalism, partakes in bullying and exerts power over the employees that aren't favored. A complete and total disregard for seniority and the perks that job loyalty SHOULD afford you, such as the extremely unfair scheduling used as a form of punishment. Unfortunately Human resources dept is full of people even more manipulative, conniving and miserable than mngt. ALWAYS making payroll errors: shorting pay, wrong deductions and not paying out vacation or PtO hours. Mngt is nasty and helpless but the true snakes are the monsters qho work in the hr dept.

Advice to Management

Why waste my breath? If they actually did communicate or listen to staff for once they would just be twist our words and threaten to use them against me in the future!

Southwest General Health Center2015-08-05

"Seeking new employment"

Pros

I love my coworkers and feel valued by my bosses.

Cons

Very disorganized office. I feel like our administration is digging us into the ground. Awful health insurance coverage.

Southwest General Health Center2015-06-19

"Good care....but watch out for management"

Registered Nurse

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice, compassionate people that give fabulous nursing care, free close parking and pretty good benefits, nice human resources and Nurse educators

Cons

Managers and assistant managers don't help out, assistant managers have no leadership skills or training and are allowed to bully staff

Advice to Management

Require training for your managers and assistant managers, talk with your staff for suggestions on making things better not the "chosen" that the managers know will say the "right things".

Southwest General Health Center2015-05-22
  5. "I was given opportunity to grow and expand my skills, while given a lot of responsibility and exposure to different cons"

in Middleburg Heights, OH

I worked at Southwest General Health Center

Pros

Small office staff, so you are exposed to the big picture, but also must get into the details, and the all hands on deck philosophy at times allows for development of leadership experience as well as team work skills.

Cons

Small staff means significant expectations, long hours, no back-up, and office culture was toxic at times, where you had to watch your back, because you might be thrown under the bus.

Advice to Management

Hire upper and mid management folks who are mentors, supportive, believe in their staff, encourage and appreciate successes rather than always criticizing mistakes.

Southwest General Health Center2015-02-24
  6. "account rep"

Current Employee - Billing in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

enjoyable and friendly place to work

Cons

at times seems like management doesn't care

Southwest General Health Center2015-01-21
  7. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free parking, friendly staff/coworkers, excellent orientation program

Cons

With all the current construction, employees are not getting raises for 18 months as opposed to prior yearly reviews. Still trying to get Magnet status and encouraging RNs to get BSNs, but not offering any additional compensation to do so. Tuition reimbursement could be increased.

Southwest General Health Center2014-06-26
  8. "Dedicated staff. Ethical organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH

I worked at Southwest General Health Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depends on department and manager. I had a good experience.

Cons

No career ladder for non-clinical personnel. Low pay rate.

Southwest General Health Center2013-02-18

"Overall great place to work"

Nurser in Middleburg Heights, OH

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center

Pros

I've been at Southwest for almost 10 years, and many of the people I work with have been there even longer. I think that speaks volumes about how great it is to work at Southwest. At least in my area of the hospital, there is an amazing team effort in delivering patient care. Everyone helps each other and has great pride in their work. The organization as a whole seems to give many opportunities for employees to... give their input and makes you feel appreciated.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides in my opinion is the lack of support for advancing education opportunities. There is limited tuition assistance available. Also, as with many healthcare facilities, many areas of the hospital are often forced to work short-staffed - which is not only stressful but can be unsafe. Though sometimes helpful, many times supervisors make it seem like there is nothing that they can do to fix... those situations.

Advice to Management

In general, keep your ears and minds open to employee feedback. Many of us would appreciate better opportunites for education and tuition assistance. Because so many employees stay at Southwest for a long time, it would be in Southwest's best interest to have its employees further their education. Also, there needs to be more consistent adherence to posted staffing grids in an effort to keep patients safe and nurses... sane. Thanks.

Southwest General Health Center2011-02-16
  10. "is what it is"

Unit Secretary

I have been working at Southwest General Health Center

Pros

SWGH is what it is. I like my job, the location, and working for a hospital in general and have made some good friends.

Cons

If you're a nurse, you will get treated like crap by the doctors and if you're not a nurse you will get treated like crap by everyone. Yay.

Advice to Management

Non nursing staff is important, too - stop treating everyone else like we don't exist.

Southwest General Health Center2009-07-20