Cover image for Southwest Key Programs

Southwest Key Programs

Engaged Employer

Southwest Key Programs

Add a Review

Southwest Key Programs Employee Reviews about "shelter"

Updated Jun 8, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 388 of over 388 reviews
3.3
59% Recommend to a Friend
53% Approve of CEO

Found 1 of over 388 reviews

3.3
Southwest Key Programs President and CEO Dr. Anselmo Villareal (no image)
Dr. Anselmo Villareal

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Southwest Key Programs and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "shelter"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

I LOVE MY JOB

Jun 8, 2021 - Regional Director of Recreational and Vocational Education in Brownsville, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love my job helping create and develop our plans for children's recreations and vocational activities. I believe in our mission and I believe that this job has ignited a passion in me for helping others.

Cons

Negative media attention from people who do not know the ins and outs of a shelter.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love Case Management

Nov 20, 2019 - Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good team, Good cause, Amazing program.

Cons

Huge Caseload, Pressure, not all shelters provide the same standardized protocol.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Southwest Key Programs team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a stable job position.

Sep 30, 2019 - Case Manager in Brownsville, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Good co-workers environment -Acquire lots of experience -Have the opportunity to help children

Cons

-Bad administration management -Unreal deadline expectations -Shelters are all about clients. If the numbers are low, you better have a back up plan.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The worst company to work - Stay away of this company

Sep 7, 2017 - Mental Health Clinician in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

It has an excellent mission and vision even though they do not put it into practice. The values only put into practice those that suit them. Wages are adequate but not sufficient for the amount of work.

Cons

The allegedly non-profit company only cares about getting government funds. They do not care about employees or the clients (children). The human resources office in headquarters and in every single shelter are incompetent. They have no knowledge of labor laws and do things contrary to law regardless of the quality of life of employees or refugees. Recently they laid off employees at their convenience and not by seniority. You have to work overtime and the salaried employee is not paid for those hours. Hourly employees do not have time to rest and often have to eat standing up like horses. There are much favoritism and cronyism, which starts from the headquarter and reaches national shelters. They offer relocation bonus and contract signing but you have to beg for them to be paid. You have to work under pressure and fear. They tell you constantly that the company can give laid off at any time because of the refugee and immigration office.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

Wonderful mission, Poor working environment

Aug 2, 2017 - Direct Service Provider in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with youth at shelter was an amazing experience, something I will take me with me.

Cons

Management was poor and created environment based on fear.

7. 4.0

Youth Care Worker

May 3, 2017 - Youth Care Worker in El Paso, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a youth care worker you get to feel like you are making a difference in the lives of children who are putting themselves in great danger to have a chance at a better life. The kids are mostly all very respectful and they show gratitude and patience despite their situation.

Cons

The kids are sometimes bored, and they are treated like prisoners. I understand the regulations of a shelter for unaccompanied minors, but sometimes I felt that the kids felt like they were just a number. Also there wasn't enough time for staff to spend time outside of the job (mostly second and third shift)

8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Clinician

May 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free medical insurance, good pay, support from co workers

Cons

Smaller shelters are more demanding, high turnover due to managers/burnout. Low PTO (6.5) and Sick hours (4 month)

9. 2.0
    Former Employee

Good Experience

Feb 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

make great relationships with children from different countries

Cons

Don't care about the minors in the shelter, just numbers

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Youth Care Worker

Jun 7, 2016 - Youth Care Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work. Very polite people and helpful. They listen to advise to improve ways of doing things in the work place. I miss the kids. I hope they are doing well and the case workers took care of them. I am sure the case worker did. They are very dedicated. I saw a case solve to one of the kids I did the in-process to the shelter. I am very happy for her. Overall; a good place to work if rules are applied equally.

Cons

Maintenance personnel are treated like a bunch of uneducated janitors. They don't realized we have experience in other more advance technical areas they don't know about. Mostly women environment, with the tendency to said things about other gender which i would get in trouble for. Bashing men is funny and they laugh about it. That doesn't make them better than us, but just doing the same unprofessional behaviors they complained about and show on videos.

11. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Case Manager

Jul 3, 2016 - Case Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Helping children find a family member that would be able to provide a safe home and environment was the best part of my job.

Cons

Management was absolutely worthless. No one knew what they were doing. No one was able to tell you exactly what you should do without saying "in our shelter we do it this way, but we'll find a way that works for us soon". Lead case managers spoke behind case managers backs.

Viewing 1 - 1 of 1 Reviews