Southwest Tennessee Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nathan L. Essex

1. "Well connected group of people that really support each other."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team work is very imperative in this organization to rebrand the the institution in the vision and propose of the new president.

Cons

With the transition of new leadership a lack of communication has transpired which leave individual the lack of knowledge to move forward.

Advice to Management

Become more transparent with facility and staff and continue to make them feel desired and apart of the new structure and new organization of this new administration.

2. "STCC Macon Campus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Tennessee state benefits structure, colleagues are friendly and nice to work with

Cons

Constant organizational reorganization and restructuring, Disconnect between senior staff and middle management

3. "Okay for a while but start looking for something better eventually"

Former Employee - Secretary in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Secretary in Memphis, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly pleasant people to work with and I enjoyed the work because I was able to use my key skills and experience. Plus I was able to make significant contributions to my department's growth and success.

Cons

Salary was barely adequate, and I clashed with one coworker who was able to curry favor with the management. I accumulated reprimands for petty infractions that I thought could have been overlooked by a more understanding manager.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees the same and operate with more integrity

5. "Southwest"

Former Employee - Instructor/Academic Computing Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Instructor/Academic Computing Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Offers services to the community service, offers opportunity to the challenged, relatively low tuition cost

Cons

A very political environment, most positions are underpaid, many of the students are unprepared for college upon admission

Advice to Management

New executive staff has been put in place, so pursue the interests of the community and region, rather than pursue your own personal interests

6. "Challenging and rewarding at the same time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to shine abound. New executive management seems well suited to face challenges head on. Very liberal vacation policy. Great education benefits.

Cons

Too much nepotism. Lack of accountability is rampant. Departmental structure seems odd to me. Communication is lacking. Clunky response to the needs of the community.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on developing employees with good soft skills and work ethics. Send rude employees packing. Become a hub for the community, not just a school.

7. "proferssor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Collierville, TN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Collierville, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College (More than a year)

Pros

The faculty was very good.

Cons

Inconsistent work availability for professors.

8. "Forward Thinking Staff Crippled by Obstinate Management"

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best faculty and staff work at Southwest and truly care about student welfare. Some departments are pushing technology and learning to keep up with current education practices. Health benefits, retirement, and continuing education for staff are great.

Cons

College always seemed mired with financial woes and mulish upper-management that have been clinging on to their jobs for far too long. A change of the old guard to allow new ideas and leadership in various departments would serve the college well.

9. "admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

flexible schedule, great people, fun to be around students

Cons

low pay, a little bureaucracy

10. "undergraduate/Hospitality Management in the concentration of Culinary Arts."

Former Employee - Undergraduate Hospitality Management C/O Culinary Arts in Memphis, TN

Pros

The only Institution in the Mid-South that has three course of Majors in the Hospitality Management. Got a great deal of hands on training under Head Culinary Instructor doing Charity events. 10 in all total of my volunteering my time.

Cons

Wish the institution has more to offer when it comes to culinary arts.

Advice to Management

Want to be back in the work force.

11. "Nice place to work!"

Former Employee - Continuing Education in Somerville, TN
    Former Employee - Continuing Education in Somerville, TN

I worked at Southwest Tennessee Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, very helpful administration and hands on.

Cons

There are not too many negatives for this company. I feel that the program could have continued with a larger grant.