Southwestern Advantage Reviews in Nashville, TN | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You learn a lot about people skills, communication and sales (in 16 reviews)

• I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • pyramid scheme feel, long hours (in 36 reviews)

• Pitched to be a great paying job, but instead its just a door to door sales job where you MIGHT make UP TO (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

+Best people to work with
    +Great support from team
    +Great training

Cons

-Long Hours constantly
    -No guaranteed salary

Advice to Management

Keep it up - you are all amazing

2. "Great you only care about your goals and money"

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support and guidance from your team and managers
    You learn a lot about people skills, communication and sales
    It makes you a very strong person
    You becoma a real problem solver

Cons

The vibe feels mostly fake
    No guarantees
    Your managers and teammates are not really the person they show you they are
    The products are overpriced
    You have to be selfish to make real money

Advice to Management

Maybe be more realistic on what the whole thing is really about.
    Teach the staff more about the boundaries on soliticing and when it can become more of a harassment.

3. "Sales Representative"

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Developed outstanding work-ethic while developing leadership and motivational skills with teams of outstanding individuals. Worked 80+ hours a week running our own business. Learned to organize leads and set hourly goals.

Cons

There is nothing good old fashioned hard work. Worked and lived off a stict commission compensation plan.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing its going to work for 200 years

5. "Very hard work but it has its perks"

Former Intern - Door to Door Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Intern - Door to Door Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You get to travel and go to places you probably would never have gone. You can potentially make good money. You can learn great sales skills and work on your speaking abilities as well.

Cons

It is very hard work and you may not make any money at all after expenses. I;m talking over 60 hours a week of door to door sales by yourself in the hot summer.

Advice to Management

Be real with the potential interns about what they are getting themselves into.

6. "JUST DO IT"

Current Employee - Salesperson in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great program. Good opportunity to make money. Amazing experience.

Cons

The cons of this program could be that its extremely challenging, that the hours are long and that it puts you in a lot of uncomfortable situations that you might not be used to. This is also why the program is so beneficial.

Advice to Management

There are some things that annoy me probably like with any job. But most of those are just necessary in order for success.

"The Navy SEALs of College Students"

Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lifelong friendships, world travel, personal development, new perspectives, increasing gratitude, an education in humanity, empathy, and the adventure of a lifetime – things that are only available by first dealing with the cons.

Cons

The cons are the fascinating part. Everyone who crosses paths with the program, even those who only interview, have to deal with the cons in some way –– directly while participating, indirectly while interviewing. The cons make people face their own fears and insecurities, and because of that, it's very interesting to see how people respond. The cons of the program are what attract the right people for the right reasons and are meant to scare away those who would not be a good match for the program. We believe hard work is fun and rewarding, we love challenges, risk, problem-solving, competition, and gaining independence. The pros are pretty cool, and they're all on the other side of the cons.

"Great experience, best thing I've ever done!"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage (More than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with, traveling, learning about sales, money, time management, team management, leadership, good attitude, getting good work ethics etc. Opportunity to make lots of money. I definitely believe that joining with Southwestern Advantage team was my best decision ever!

Cons

Hard work, high rejection from people when trying to sell them books

Advice to Management

Care about people

9. "Southwestern summer internship"

Current Intern - Student Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Intern - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training - teaches you about success principles, work ethics, time-management, adabtability and how to build a character and run a small business. In your first year your student manager helps you and coaches you; The program is very intensive and your success depends on you; A lot of different experiences every single day, chance to meet many people from different backgroud; In your first year you learn how to sell, in your second - how to recruit people, the following years - how to lead a team; Many opportunities for career progress

Cons

It is only for highly motivated and hard-working people; not everyone can do well in the program

10. "Independent Contractor"

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Gained tons of experience in communications, sales, leadership as well as success principles. Very inspiring environment.

Cons

You get out of the job what you put into it. The best results come from long hours and lots of rejection.

Advice to Management

Be more open to interns about the growth process and how its ok to fail.

11. "Summer job that changed my life to much better"

Current Intern - Sales in Nashville, TN
    Current Intern - Sales in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than 8 years)

Pros

Before this program I had problem with being disciplined and getting stuff done but now i have learned a lot, earned a lot and had chance to change myself into a better person through working hard during my summer holidays.

- Like any other sales job you get to meet a lot of new people and learn more about human nature and communication
    - Learned how to control my emotions keep a positive attitude when I got some "No -s"
    - Learned to how to be on good schedule and motivate myself
    -Got more independent
    - Got better at making decisions. I know myself better and what I want
    - Even though English is not my native language I was able to make more than 7000 dollars my first summer
    - Got lots of self-confidence because I went out of my comfort zone
     - Great leadership and management who mentor you and take time to teach you skills you need to be successful at this job
    - Great career opportunity if you like sales, leading people or working with other people
    - Learned that my success is my responsibility. Matured a lot through that.
    - Learned how to adapt to different personality types and read people better
    - Learned how lead people
    - Build my character
    - Learned how to keep my promises and commitments
    - Learned to care more for others and be service minded
    - Had a chance to help a lot of American families to educate their children
    - Got to travel to USA into many different places and stay with local host families
    - Got recognition and awards for my hard work and sales results
    - Found lots of new lifelong friendships and an awesome girlfriend
    - Acquired a new skill how to sell people in a way they like to be sold
     - Great products that help kids with their education and help parents to help their kids with homework.

Cons

Running your own business is harder than working in regular job. I used to party a lot or lay on the beach and play computer games during my summer holidays now I am working instead. So I try to make time during the rest of the year for that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You have changed my life and many other students life in a very good way. I have met most of the people in the company starting from managers to sales managers, office people, president and CEO of the company. You all are nice and friendly people who have great values and good attitude towards life and other people around you. Thank you so much!